Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2022, 07:44 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Is this blasphemy?

Kinda jumping the gun on next winter's project since this winter's has a ways to go. This is a 47 tonner chassis and today when I was cleaning up the back '40' I set a late model A cowl on it to get it out of the dirt (ok, mud). Well, I kinda liked it. I thought about the '32 (?) hood I had and a very rough '36 grille somebody gave me years ago. Oh and the wrecker boom made from a couple of frame rails that came in the bed of a 47 studebaker PU. The difference between this 'franken-rod' so many others is the pedals and steering shaft are heading in just the right place. The V8 motor mounts are programed to receive one of my running V8s that are using up shop space. I have a T9 that popped outa High twice last year so I used a different one in my current project. It will be fine for this junkyard dog. I have two radiators that are pretty patched up, not really good for road trips..... So one of them is good. Will the gravity feed tank work with a V8 carb? I have other tanks I can set up in the rear or under seat...... Hey, tomorrow I'm back to running boards for my current project. This will keep til then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blasphemy 1.jpg (176.9 KB, 555 views)
File Type: jpg blasphemy 2.jpg (176.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg blasphemy 3.jpg (179.0 KB, 536 views)
File Type: jpg blasphemy 4.jpg (183.4 KB, 138 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:52 PM   #2
Brian

Default Re: Is this blasphemy?

I like the way you think....
Old 04-09-2022, 08:26 PM   #3
cas3

It looks good to me, however on the practicality side I rate it low. 1st, the boom is to low to pull motors, and winch and 2 way pto stuff is expensive unless you have it in stock. Also, you have a skid steer for lifting stuff already, no?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:43 PM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Kinda jumping the gun on next winter's project since this winter's has a ways to go. This is a 47 tonner chassis and today when I was cleaning up the back '40' I set a late model A cowl on it to get it out of the dirt (ok, mud). Well, I kinda liked it. I thought about the '32 (?) hood I had and a very rough '36 grille somebody gave me years ago. Will the gravity feed tank work with a V8 carb?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:15 PM   #5
51504bat

The boom could have many uses around your "Ponderosa" even it won't work for pulling motors. As far as the gas tank goes, lots of guys with AV8's run the stock Model A tank hooked up to the flathead fuel pump. I say go for it.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:22 PM   #6
alanwoodieman

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
tradional junk yard dog! gotta love it!
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:00 PM   #7
GB SISSON

I have an extra hand crank winch for the frame rail boom. Practicality? Never gave that a thought. I pull engines with a hand crank winch on a post led through a snatch block on an overhead beam. The skidsteer and the white 44 hp tractor with a loader fill in the gaps. Oh, then there's the Model AA doodlebug log skider with pto winch and boom. I just don't like all these parts scattered all over the place.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 04-09-2022, 10:56 PM   #8
cas3

As Allen mentioned above, traditional junk yard dogs are pretty cool. The best I've seen are always a 4x4 chassis, onboard air compressor, perhaps even a welder, and a tall boom with a good winch, and every tool you might need. I always wanted to build one, but it never got to the top of the list. Parts bolted together as opposed to laying around is a step in the right direction though
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 05:56 AM   #9
flatford8

Junking the stuff would be blasphemy....(I know you wouldn’t do that!)....piling it all on a frame so it looks like something would be art....if it actually runs.....that’s genius!!! I got plenty of mud here.....you want some more???.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:49 AM   #10
corvette8n

It’s called recycling! better than letting it all waste away. My uncle used to build doodlebugs to plow his garden, he used mostly model “A”s with two transmissions in line.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:21 AM   #11
mfirth

Reminds me of an old chain driven "hook" that I played on as a kid on Put-In_Bay in Ohio.
Love it. My cousin had a V8 60 fed by gravity in an A, so ...... might work 4 you. Neat stuff G B.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:59 AM   #12
deuce_roadster

Gary, my 1st car, a 30 Model A body I got when i was 12 was eventually fitted with a 24 stud flathead with 2 97s and it ran and drove fine with the gravity feed tank (no fuel pump). One issue a 12 year old didn't think of was a carb float valve could be held open with a piece of junk from the tank and overnight it filled the pan with gas! Luckily I investigated why I smelled gas and the gauge read empty.

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 04-10-2022 at 09:04 AM.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 10:00 AM   #13
Mike in Mass

NO .! An old time stonemason you to say to us " You can't make chicken salad , out of Chicken Chit,,You can ...But Nobody will buy it ! .This was referring to whatever crap stone they dumped for us to use.. to make a Beutiful wall or whatever ... Don't look like much when it's in a pile. Looks good when you start stacking . I like it !
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 09:04 PM   #14
GB SISSON

Lived in SE Massachusetts for seven years in my formative years, age 14 to 21. Years later a West Coast friend built me a stone retaining wall on my property here. Since he was a friend I felt I had to be diplomatic. But... I looked at his choice of rock and their placement, and I knew he had no clue of how our forefathers bonded the courses of rock to bind them into a structure that would last. I admit my forefathers didn't teach me the art but I read every Eric Sloane book I could get my hands on. First off for a newbie was 'The forgotten art of building a stone wall'. A must read if your forfathers are no longer with us.