Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
oldford

Default Wire funds to owner or consignment guy

There are several reputable people out there that sell cars on consignment. When you purchase a car from one of these guys and use a bank transfer, is it normal practice to wire the consignment guy the money or the man that owns the car. What do you think.
oldford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
barnstuf

Default Re: Wire funds to owner or consignment guy

I am a retired old car dealer and often sold antique cars on consignment. I asked this question of my attorney years ago and he told me the money should follow the title and he advised that if I did not own the car it was better to let the buyer pay the seller who would transfer ownership papers directly. As a dealer his advice was to protect me from a buyer who felt the car was not what he expected and the buyers recourse would be with the owner. Your situation may vary of course but the dealer accepting funds may create a warranty liability which may be far in excess of his consignment fee.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
rick55

There are that many scammers out there, I wouldn't wire money to anyone. Bank transfer is much safer, but I would always pay it to the person advertising the car as at least that way you have a trail to follow if something goes wrong. Here in Oz if you put a car for sale on one of the big carsales sites you are sure to get at least four bogus buyers wanting you to send the money so the deal can go through. You want to make sure who is getting the money before you pay anything.
Just my opinion.
Regards

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Ole Don

I have sold three cars through a consignment shop. Each time, the money came in the form of a check from the consignment shop. Work that backwards to figure out who to pay for what.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote