Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2024, 07:05 AM   #1
CatMan1

Default Car Is Shrinking........

......or I'm getting too big for my '28 Sport Coupe! I bought this car 3 years ago and I was able to drive it, but somehow over the winter, I no longer fit. I have put on some weight I know. The problem seems to be when I have the car in low gear there is not enough room to move my foot off the accelerator and to the brake. Same boots as last year. I don't get it. Anyone else have trouble fitting operating the pedals? I think driving my '26 T is definitely out of the question! I haven't driven either one since last June and now it sort of scares me to drive them now. Just doesn't seem safe.....
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 07:17 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: Car Is Shrinking........

Some people have modified their cars to add a few inches to the driver's compartment. I think there is a way to move the seat back but I saw at least one car where the body was modified. An expensive and time consuming project, no doubt.

I have a super 8 movie of my grandpa getting in my 30 coupe that I drove in high school. It was a struggle for him. I am now at his age when the movie was taken and it is little struggle to get in and out of my Model A. For me it helps to keep some weight off by exercise and reducing the caloric intake.

One idea is to sell your Model A and T and buy a larger car. Maybe a Lincoln.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 04-18-2024 at 07:23 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 07:22 AM   #3
CatMan1

I have seen a factory Service Bulletin about moving or modifying the seat somewhat for one model or another. The big problem I think I am facing is that the gearshift is just too close.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:38 AM   #4
WHN

Our 1929 Sport Coupe we owned for 42 years. Reluctantly sold it two years ago for the reasons you have mentioned.

I really loved that car but I no longer was able to easily get in or out. Plus I was very much concerned about working the pedals and safely driving in todays traffic.

I had gotten to the point were I was just enjoying the car while setting in the garage having a cold summer drink.

A number of my friends have also decided to sell their cars. Age and health problems.

Enjoy your car and life while you can.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 07:46 AM   #5
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Our 1929 Sport Coupe we owned for 42 years. Reluctantly sold it two years ago for the reasons you have mentioned.

I really loved that car but I no longer was able to easily get in or out. Plus I was very much concerned about working the pedals and safely driving in todays traffic.

I had gotten to the point were I was just enjoying the car while setting in the garage having a cold summer drink.

A number of my friends have also decided to sell their cars. Age and health problems.

Enjoy your car and life while you can.
I'm 52 with a desk job and I'm falling farther behind everyday. I've got to decide to really work on my health or sell the 'A' & 'T' and get a roomier 40's car.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:53 AM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan1 View Post
The problem seems to be when I have the car in low gear there is not enough room to move my foot off the accelerator and to the brake. Same boots as last year. I don't get it. Anyone else have trouble fitting operating the pedals?
I had the same problem. I bent the shifter ~2" to the right (assuming your car is left hand drive)so my leg would clear the steering wheel. Worked great, now I can drive in 1st no problem.

Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 08:05 AM   #7
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I had the same problem. I bent the shifter ~2" to the right (assuming your car is left hand drive)so my leg would clear the steering wheel. Worked great, now I can drive in 1st no problem.

I have heard of that modification. I guess it is a possibility. Wonder if I have to take the transmission out to do that?
Old 04-18-2024, 08:09 AM   #8
Zax40

I did the same thing, my shifter was clocked at about 7 O'clock when I got my Roadster. I bent it to 6 O'clock and now it's perfect.

I did it with the shifter still attached and in the car.
Zax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 08:21 AM   #9
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zax40 View Post
I did the same thing, my shifter was clocked at about 7 O'clock when I got my Roadster. I bent it to 6 O'clock and now it's perfect.

I did it with the shifter still attached and in the car.

Did you have to heat it up or just start tweaking on it?
Old 04-18-2024, 08:30 AM   #10
Zax40

Here is how I did it. I'm not saying it was the best way. But it worked well and did no damage.

I put it in 1st gear, sat in the car, and planned out how far I wanted to twist it to the right. Next I removed the shift knob and wrapped shop rags tightly around the shifter and bound them with masking tape to protect the shifter. Next I removed the handle from my floor jack (long steel tube) and slid it over the shifter. Then I took my left hand and placed it at the bottom of the shifter to hold the tube where the bend in the shifter is. I took my right hand and placed it at the top of the tube and started to lightly push in the direction I wanted it to bend. It did not require a great deal of force.

I would only slightly bend it, remove the tube, and test the position. I did that until I got it where it was comfortable.
Zax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 08:48 AM   #11
CatMan1

I think that's my only issue. Sure, I'm 6' and 280, but I can drive the car even though it's cramped, but for some reason suddenly I can't feel safe with the shifter being this close & I can't move my right foot. Is there any danger of hurting anything in the transmission?
Old 04-18-2024, 08:56 AM   #12
JayJay

Quote:
I have heard of that modification. I guess it is a possibility. Wonder if I have to take the transmission out to do that?
The shift tower will come off easily without removing the transmission. It does take a special tool to safely remove the shift lever from the tower, though. That way you can grab onto the lower portion of the shift lever in a vise while you bend the upper. I would remove the cup from the lever and hold onto the lever above where the cup mounts, that way you won’t bend how the cup goes over the tower casting. Look at where Y-B bent his.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:10 AM   #13
Marshall V. Daut

Try removing some padding from the front seat. That will lower the height enough to make it easier to get in an out. Older LeBaron Bonney interior kits ended up being too high in this area if you used all the padding they included in the kit. Although more work, you could also pull some padding out of the backrest, which will increase room even more and make entry and exit moves easier.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:19 AM   #14
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
I have shared this numerous times in the past. I made this 'Shifter Bender Tool" to bend mine (and numerous others). You don't have to remove the shifter to use it.

Place the shifter thru the eye bolts and slide down so the lower eye bolt is just above the bend in the shifter. Wrap some tape around the eye bolts so you don't mar the shifter. Tighten the large nut in the middle.

I use the tool because I was concerned of putting too much stress on the internals by just bending it. But others have just bent it without issues.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 04-18-2024 at 07:08 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 10:42 AM   #15
Benson

Quote:
I have seen a factory Service Bulletin about moving or modifying the seat somewhat for one model or another. The big problem I think I am facing is that the gearshift is just too close.
Service bulletin 257 for Coupes.

Seat can be moved 1 inch and 5/8ths towards front or rear from "Standard" position.

I moved SEAT BACK to the rear on both upper and lower.

Later I made a bracket to move lower seat-back even further to the rear.

CAUTION: If you have Mitchell transmission, DO NOT try to bend shifter stick without heating it.

These shifters are made in two pieces and only spot welded together.

The other version are two pieces and threaded together.

I am not picking on Mitchell I have seen both versions of shift levers made as REPRO levers in recent years.

Mine broke in half just below the "Chrome Dome" while driving.

The weld only penatrated about .060 to .070.

Luckily it broke in second gear and close to the garage.

Last edited by Benson; 04-18-2024 at 01:04 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 12:20 PM   #16
ModelA29

Someone would make a fortune if they made a Model A steering wheel that was 3" smaller in diameter.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 12:26 PM   #17
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post
Someone would make a fortune if they made a Model A steering wheel that was 3" smaller in diameter.
Probably so, but oddly enough that isn't my issue. It is on my '55 Chevy truck, though.... Maybe I need to wear ballerina slippers when I drive!
Old 04-18-2024, 01:22 PM   #18
Gene F

One of the guys that was formerly in our local club took 1 1/2 to 2" out of his clutch and brake pedals, then welded them back together.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 02:17 PM   #19
ronn

why not wear sneakers instead of boots?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 02:44 PM   #20
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post

Have you seen the “Fat Man’s Steering Wheel” for a Model T Ford?

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote