Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2023, 08:46 AM   #1
oldandtired

Default Inflation at many swap meets

Years ago I used to routinely travel from the Carolinas out to Kansas, Nebraska, and other grain belt states seeking pickup and truck parts. I came across an advertisement for a swap meet in Sedalia, Missouri. They were advertising a swap meet with 30 x 50 spaces for $25. I went to the swap meet as much because I wanted to actually see a 30 x 50 swap meet space for $25 after going to Charlotte, Iola, Maggie Valley, Moultrie, old Pate, Chickasha, and numerous other meets over the years where prices were not so modest. The total size of the 4 spaces I had at Charlotte and the 5 I had at Maggie Valley when they moved to Fletcher totaled maybe 2/3 the size at more than 10 times the cost. I sold and bought some parts and enjoyed the people I met. This year I received a mailer from them. They have raised their prices since I went years ago. They are up to $40 for a 30 x 50 swap meet space. I was not going to go to any more swap meets for a variety of reasons. The idea of taking a trip back out there started growing on me. To me, a 30 x 50 space for $40 is a sight worth seeing again all on its own. I was tempted to not even load up anything to take, just go park on the space and look around and admire it, but I ended up loading up some stuff to bring because who knows, maybe I will have some stuff someone else simply cannot live without.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 10:06 AM   #2
Zeke3

Default Re: Inflation at many swap meets

This discussion was not what I thought it was going to be based on the subject title. However, I enjoyed reading it and may you have a safe journey and find new owners for some of those treasures and make a few new friends along the way.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 12:08 PM   #3
38 coupe

As with everything else in business, the swap meet stall size and price is heavily influenced by the land value where the swap meet is held. This affects not just the price to rent or own the land where the swap meet is held, but also directly impacts the prices for every other business you use to help put on the local swap meet since local businesses have similar land costs. It really is location, location, location.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 01:57 PM   #4
ronn

and unfortunately, this is why so many sell on the internet.

lower costs, less work and I can find more parts in one day then at a years worth of swaps.
Of course the swaps are more fun, but everything has its day and costs are a big factor.

also, I understand the old and tired, and Im not even that old...but I sure as hell am tired most days.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 03:11 PM   #5
ford38v8

Costs associated with putting on a swap meet are tremendous. Rental of the land, portapotties, security, advertising, consumables. Club members volunteering labor and time is the only thing that makes it happen to generate a profit for the club, that is, if it isn’t rained out. It’s for the good of the hobby and the comradery, but sometimes it’s a stretch to say it was worth it when you get some guy complaining that he was cheated by 4 inches because the way the fence was built.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:30 PM   #6
38 coupe

I joined one of the clubs that helps put on Pate. I think if you had to pay all the volunteers minimum wage the swap meet would be out of business. After helping work this year I didn't catch up on sleep until a week after the meet was over. Between the vacation days from work, fuel to get there, renting spaces (we don't get them for any less cost either), and random costs like not starving I'm definitely not going to add up what it cost to help. I did have a lot of fun and plan on doing it all again next year.

Last edited by 38 coupe; 05-14-2023 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-14-2023, 08:11 AM   #7
nickthebandit

I have been going to swap meets for more than 50 years, both buying and selling. As far as I am concerned, most swap meet spaces are priced fairly. a 30 x 50 swap meet space is more than twice the normal size. Most spaces are 10 x 30. If you think the cost is too high, don't go. Considering what the cost is to put on a swap meet is, facility rental, insurance, advertising, paid help, if any, etc. Be thankful that some people are willing to provide their time for you make money, or enjoy yourself.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 08:54 AM   #8
oldandtired

38 Coupe...I lived in the Houston area for around 30 years. Pate used to be in what amounted to a pasture before it moved. I have not been since it moved to the Dallas location. I have fond memories of the original.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 09:09 AM   #9
38 coupe

I never made old Pate, but I did make the swap meets at Rosanky. I thought that would be the next big swap meet with all the similarities to old Pate. It had tons of room to grow and had a large old car museum with an air conditioned area to cool off in when the weather was hot. That one died when Dick Burdick moved the museum to San Marcos.
New Pate has the benefit of mostly being on asphalt, so the old mud pit problem is less. My only big complaint with new Pate is driving to the far side of the metroplex to get there.