Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Robert Dip

Default '39 pedals in a '35

I am finally getting around to install juice brakes on the ’35. I have the ’39 pedals ready to go on. Need a little advice from the ‘been there, done that’ guys on new holes needed. The unpainted frame is the ’35 and the black primer one is from a ’40 that I have here. I presume that the ’39 & ’40 frames have the same mounting hole configuration. So far, it seems that only one hole could be used to begin the mounting position to drill the other 3 holes and also use the larger opening for proper clearance.
This hole is the lower rear on the '39 bracket, now to be mounted on the outer side of the rail. Will this hole place the pedals in the correct fore & aft position? Appreciate any advice. Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001dfg.jpg (73.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 003hjk.jpg (42.4 KB, 38 views)
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
36tbird

Default Re: '39 pedals in a '35

Yeah, there is one common hole that can be used to align the template you make from the later frame. Sorry, I can't remember which one it is but I think that it is self evident as you align your template with the front and rear lightning holes. Obviously you have to modify the hole where the pedal shaft fits through also.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Mike in AZ

have you got your original pedals??....contact Richard Lacey at the link below....he has a kit that uses your original pedals so you don't have to mess with your frame, etc....good luck....Mike

http://www.earlyv8garage.qpg.com/
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Robert Dip

Mike in Az....thanks for your input, however, I am not interested in the R. Lacey hookup. I have purchased other parts from him in the past, have all the info you are referring to....he is great to deal with, but I am going the '39 pedal route.. Thanks again.....Robert
Old 11-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Zeke...PA

Here is how I did my 37 Tudor, I made a template from the 39 pedal assembly , you can see it sitting on frame in photo and the cutout piece, and opened the frame hole to accommodate the bracket the arm is mighty close to the frame when pushed down had to heat and bend to center in the frame Zeke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 pedal assm 001.JPG (122.7 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 39 pedal assm 002.JPG (123.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg piping 030.jpg (58.9 KB, 128 views)
Old 11-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Mart

Offer the 39 pedals into the 40 frame and see if the holes line up. If they do then make a template from the 40 frame and cut the 35 frame out to match.

That's what I'd do just thinking it through in my head.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
Robert Dip

Thanks Zeke...PA.....great to see photos of your installation. I guess the '37 frame hole configuration is not the same as the '35. I am still at the point where I do not know as to use one hole location on my frame. Attached is a drawing template of the '35 setup. It is viewed from the inside of the channel. The dotted lines & holes are the '35, and the full is the '39 pedals. The lower rear hole is what I assume to be the correct position to place the remaining mods. Thks........Robert....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009fgh.jpg (27.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 11-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Robert Dip

Mart.....I have just placed the '39 pedals into the '40 frame...dead match.
Since my template shows the frame center clearance hole of both the '35 & '39, at the same C/L, I am to assume that using the guide hole mentioned, it would be correct....anyone to confirm..??? Thks.......Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 013ert.jpg (56.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
Mart

Robert, See if you can extend the template to include a feature that appears on both frames _like the countersunk anti-chatter rod holes. If the template matches the known common location and the rearmost hole, then you can use the rearmost hole as a datum.

Again, just trying to think it through logically.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
PeterC

Robert - here is a pic of my 39 pedal set in the 35 chassis - note the extension for the MC to position it under the battery cover in the floor for easy servicing just like a 39 - battery was moved to behind the seat in the coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Dip View Post
Mike in Az....thanks for your input, however, I am not interested in the R. Lacey hookup. I have purchased other parts from him in the past, have all the info you are referring to....he is great to deal with, but I am going the '39 pedal route.. Thanks again.....Robert
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
Bob Drake Repro

Robert, here's the template that we supply with our pedals, maybe it will help. I'm not sure if the computer image will be "1 to 1" when printed on your computer. If you need us to mail you this template, please let us know.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 91A-2473-K-CI.pdf (365.5 KB, 187 views)
Bob Drake Repro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tbird View Post
Yeah, there is one common hole that can be used to align the template you make from the later frame. Sorry, I can't remember which one it is but I think that it is self evident as you align your template with the front and rear lightning holes. Obviously you have to modify the hole where the pedal shaft fits through also.
The common hole is the one that has the threaded hole on the 39 petal assembly mounting plate. Drill the other holes accordingly.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #13
wisbangman

Thank you ! Bob Drake Repro
wisbangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Drake Repro View Post
Robert, here's the template that we supply with our pedals, maybe it will help. I'm not sure if the computer image will be "1 to 1" when printed on your computer. If you need us to mail you this template, please let us know.
Wow! That's got to be a big help for the folks who are installing '39 pedal assemblies in their early Fords. Thanks for posting that information. I will download that pdf into my keeper files.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
flatheadfan

Robert-

You should find that after you mount the '39 assembly in your '35 your clutch pivot will not align with the throw-out bearing arm on the transmission. You only have two realistic choices at this point to correct the alignment. 1) weld an extension on the '39 to move the pivot to the right (see pictures) or 2) use a '39 transmission arm which has a factory bend (see picture). The problem with the '39 transmission arm is finding one! Of course you can do nothing and run the connecting arm on an angle or bend it. For me, both approaches are at best kind of crude but it is commonly done.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39BrakeAssy.jpg (9.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0984.JPG (126.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0830.JPG (76.5 KB, 74 views)
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #16
Juergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadfan View Post
Robert-

You should find that after you mount the '39 assembly in your '35 your clutch pivot will not align with the throw-out bearing arm on the transmission. You only have two realistic choices at this point to correct the alignment. 1) weld an extension on the '39 to move the pivot to the right (see pictures) or 2) use a '39 transmission arm which has a factory bend (see picture). The problem with the '39 transmission arm is finding one! Of course you can do nothing and run the connecting arm on an angle or bend it. For me, both approaches are at best kind of crude but it is commonly done.

Tom

Drake sells the 39 arms (I think for $20 in their sale catalog)
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #17
Robert Dip

Thanks for the great input.....and I am now confirmed that the one hole is the guide for the rest. Thank you B. Drake....great instructions....and all of the guys for your helpful comments.
Peter C...glad to hear that your '35 3W is now complete....every detail you have sent me in the past is more than 'Top Notch'....looking forward to seeing it in person. On the dual master, which one did you use....I was going the regular single route, but maybe not. The extension is great for not having another hole in the floor. Robert
Old 11-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #18
Robert Dip

Flatheadfan...thanks for the arm input. I am not going to be using the stock '35 transmission, but a '39 case and arm, stuffed with L-Z 25T gears. Hoarding parts over the years eventually pays off. many Thanks again.........Robert

PS I'll have to check the distance between the holes in the '39 to the '35 arm, to make sure the clutch throw will not be affected....but....we are not going to start that again for now. ( previous post on the '39 clutch arm and dims on hole centers )
Old 11-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #19
the cooch

Don't know the condition of your pedal assembly, but after getting the same swap almost finished I realized that the worn pedal shaft bushings let the arms "wander" in the floor slots. I should have done the shaft bushing repair first, but the alignment was luckily right on, front to back, using the threaded hole in the lower corner of the pedal assembly's mounting bracket as the common one. The pedals also needed some slight bending but that's in a '36 pickup frame...Good luck!- Chris
the cooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #20
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Dip View Post

PS I'll have to check the distance between the holes in the '39 to the '35 arm, to make sure the clutch throw will not be affected....but....we are not going to start that again for now. ( previous post on the '39 clutch arm and dims on hole centers )
Aw, c'mon Robert.......that was a hoot! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote