Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #61
Lanny

Default Re: Drakes 40 coupe old vs new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 296 V8 View Post
Thats nice who serched the want ads for you all them times?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey 296...It sure wasn't you.......You are ALL HAT and NO CATTLE.

I search alot and can't seem to find all the great buys in '40s out there anymore like you claim.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN

Last edited by Lanny; 07-28-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:19 AM   #62
296 V8
BANNED

Just to prove the point I looked on the hamb classifieds - cars for sale - searched 1940 ford.
In the first 4 pages there are 3 coupes and a ton of sedans.
On the classifieds here I found two or three also.

And why do you sound like I owe you a link to good buys?
The last time I turned someone on to a good deal I didn’t get so much as a thank you let alone a pease of the 200.000 profit he made …. You sound just like him.
296 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #63
Lanny

Quote:
Just to prove the point I looked on the hamb classifieds - cars for sale - searched 1940 ford.

The last time I turned someone on to a good deal I didn’t get so much as a thank you let alone a pease of the 200.000 profit he made …. You sound just like him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW, he made 200,000 profit, and didn't kiss you.

I'm well aware of whats been listed 'for sale' on the popular sites, and '40 pickups, sedans, and butchered up bondo buggys are hardly comparable.

Of the couple of coupes that were listed, that I have inquired about, one was sold right away, and the other I'm still waiting to hear back from, about the condition. Some of these sellers are just phishing the market, and not pricing them to sell.

There are not many fairly solid good buys out there anymore, and supply and demand should make Drakes '40 worth checking out.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #64
sawzall

Quote:

I have one of those coupes.. and for 18K you can drive it home.. bobs body is 15K? plus fenders, hood, grille inner fenders and frame, chassis etc..

I can see 30K in parts BEFORE its primed..
wow...
Old 07-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #65
HotRod40Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oletrux4evr View Post
Probably a stupid question, but did they have assembly manuals for the 40 coupe? Mine came from an old junkyard, stripped, and really incomplete. I'm not sure what I need, or how it goes back together for that matter......

Hit some swap meets and car shows with your camera. Plenty of done '40s out there with enthusiast owners willing to let you peak in and under their cars and help you every step. If you're wanting to build a real nice '40, I'd at least check out Drake's new body unless you want to spend tons of re-fab time or just have a cool rat rod. Looks like the chassis in this pic is a nice, straight original, great for a good start. If you're set on building this one, Drake is offering new firewalls, quarters, deck lid, running boards and even all the fenders are available, or will be soon. See Drake's update on the Steel '40 Coupe in this thread; http://www.bobdrake.com/Project_40/Update_7-11.htm and check out the '40 coupe body parts Bob offers here; http://www.bobdrake.com/Project_40/4...er_7-12-11.pdf. Despite some posted concerns about Drake's metal thickness being thinner than original, I was at the LA Roadster Show last month (with my calipers) and gauged Drake's '40 body and fenders. They matched the originals dead-nuts at 19 gauge (.034").
HotRod40Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #66
oletrux4evr

Thanks. This one is coming along quite nicely......it was in an arid part of the country, and only has surface rust. Two holes in the floorboards about the size of a silver dollar. I've been checking others out wherever I can find them, and that helps alot. I'm already a customer of Bob D.'s, and I really like his stuff.
Thanks again,
Ed.
oletrux4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #67
skidmarks

now all those unwanted 4drs can be re-bodied into coupes. might drive up the value of the more-doors
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #68
Bob Drake Repro

Some of you have asked here about our '40 Ford Coupe sheet metal parts, so here you go; http://www.bobdrake.com/Project_40/4...er_7-12-11.pdf
Thanks,
Bob
Bob Drake Repro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #69
Gumpy

amazing roof skins old Henry would be proud!!!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #70
Gumpy

those quarter panels look like a good fit!!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Old 08-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #71
skidmarks

i asked this before and over on the HAMB about the way the quarter meets the drip rail and the roof. the original had a flange on the quarter and the roof with the drip rail sandwitch between and spot welded. is this the same way on the drake body ? the partial body i saw at hershey last fall wasnt made that way and tacked in a couple place to hold it up for display. was that just a proto-display piece ?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #72
metalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpy View Post
but is there a perfect rust-free no replacement panel 40 out there....I live in calif and we have some rust here in the northern regions
Umm, yes. My 40 doesn't have any rust and doesn't need nor ever had a panel replaced. Of course I jumped on it when I found it, ones like mine are rare indeed, even here in the desert. I use to think Ford put rust holes in the tailpans from the factory, seemed like they all had rusted tailpans.
I'm fasenated by a brand new 40 coupe but still could not justify the price.
metalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #73
skidmarks

no one has a answer about ther quarter panels? i sent a message to drake and didnt get a reply. makes me wonder if they are building them the way i saw the display mock-up. if so, i would rather have an original
Old 08-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #74
Gumpy

purchashing newly stamped metal is better than taking an old piece of metal and reshaping..... some people love the challenge....a friend of mine bought a coupe a a wrecking yard one time just to do that....he gave 2500. for it...
Old 08-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #75
Gumpy

btt
Old 09-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #76
Gumpy

[have you seen the coupe body at any recent auto shows?[/I]
Old 09-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #77
CBoz

How about reproducing the Zephyr 3-window coupes? They're pretty, rare, and it would have saved me a whole lot of aggravation!
CBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #78
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBoz View Post
How about reproducing the Zephyr 3-window coupes? They're pretty, rare, and it would have saved me a whole lot of aggravation!
Hey CBoz , I would be happy if Bob or D.C. would just repop some of the much needed parts for the early Zephyrs. Starting with ignition parts, like rotors and caps for the distributors. Rubber parts would be nice also.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #79
Gumpy

Ken what about reproducing the 40 1/2t pick-up they are getting as popular as the coupe!!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #80
skidmarks

is the entire body going to be at hershey for display? i never got a answer to my question on how the quarter fits the roof and drip rail.
i even sent a message to drake and got no answer