Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
JtownJoe

Talking Stalling on stop update

Thanx for all the replies, found a few issues that when combined probably account for the stalling. (1) there is some wobble in the throttle shaft that does leak some air when I wrapped it it teflon tape it helped. (2) There is no baffle in the float bowl, might have some bearing on it. (3)The idle mixture screw made it a little better when it was set at about 7/8 of a turn out. It will now keep running if it I can come to a very gradual stop.
It will always stay running if I am stopping on an up hill grade or apply the brakes in reverse but will always stall on a down hill stop. As much as I like the B unit I will have to run the New Zenith for now, It may not have quite the power the B has but it is so dependable & I can also use an air filter with it.
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
[email protected]

Default Re: Stalling on stop update

Sounds now like a little tweaking on the float height done now just like you would do on a Model A Carb may now help to solve your sudden kill situation. Make sure the flat area of the float is not worn where the float valve rubs against it. If it is you can solder it up and file it flat again. You can bend the float to be a lower level so the surge of gas in the carb at a suddne stop will not float the float all the way up to close the valve. Make sure the small rod that holds the float hinge is perfectly flat by rolling it on a flat surface. It is has a kink and not flat it could cause you issues like you have been experiencing.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Gary WA

Another issue I have found on rebuilding carbs is the Gasket that you buy today for the two halves is larger on the bowl side and the float hits it, keeping it from not floating. If you have an older gasket compare to the new repo and you will see.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
steve s

Thanks for the update.

If you do get the B carb sorted out some day, here's a picture of one that's been balanced for use with air filter. Note that this is the backside, so it's not quite as ugly as you might think--maybe no worse than the new Zenith, which I too am using. The mod probably could be done with more discreet, metal tubing.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

You need to check the flow rate of the compensating jet and the idle jet. This allows fuel into the center area that helps the car during idle. Also check the height of the main jet and to see if you have enough gaskets on the top and bottom half to have approx 5/16 float height from the top of the bowl.
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
Roland/Pittsburgh

Joe
A compensator jet that is too small can cause stalling when stopping especially at the bottom of a hill. Check the jet size and compare to Ford specs. If your car is backfiring as you decend a grade this is a clue that it is running lean due to the secondary well being starved for fuel. The effective fuel level is lower when the car is headed down hill and this reduces the head pressure on the jet resulting in reduced flow to the secondary well. This approach worked for me.

Roland
Roland/Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland/Pittsburgh View Post
Joe
A compensator jet that is too small can cause stalling when stopping especially at the bottom of a hill. Check the jet size and compare to Ford specs. If your car is backfiring as you decend a grade this is a clue that it is running lean due to the secondary well being starved for fuel. The effective fuel level is lower when the car is headed down hill and this reduces the head pressure on the jet resulting in reduced flow to the secondary well. This approach worked for me.

Roland
Yes Roland what I was saying. Most folks don't realize te function of the secondary well and the compensator jet. Flow rate is very important.
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote