Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
Dave in WY

Question 40 Heater Motor Specs

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of an original 40 hot water heater motor. Diameter, shaft size, shaft length, Mounting face to mounting face dimension, overall length, mounting bold size and distance apart, etc. I am wanting to get the heater in my 40 working, but am not going for total restoration. I want it to look right, but if I can find a motor that will fit right, and is reversable, then I can use 12 volts and won't need to try and find the 40 switch, and go through all the hassles of reducing to 6 volts. Any help is appreciated. I did find a post about a Bulkamp motor that will fit, but I would like to know the dimensions of the original motor, to make sure the Bulkamp motor will fit properly. I don't really want to do any cobbling of the heater, if at all possible. Also would like info on what parts are needed for mounting the motor. Gaskets, Grommets, special washers or spacers, etc. Thanks!!!
Dave
Dave in WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
Dave in WY

Default Re: 40 Heater Motor Specs

Thank You Duece-Roadster for the help and dimensions!! I DO appreciate your efforts in tearing apart your heater to get me the measurements, and for the pictures!!!
I believe I can find a motor that will work, and have a heater back in my 40 once again.
Dave
Old 12-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Grassman

Hi Dave, Did you find a heater motor? I also am in need for a 47 pickup. Any info would help. Thanks for your time, David (Riverton Wy.)
Grassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
Dave in WY

Grassman, I have a few prospects, but nothing concrete so far. Waiting to see, but patience isn't my friend most of the time. I am not aware of any old Pickups in this area, (Basin), but I don't doubt there are a few still out there somewhere.
Hope to see you come Spring or Summer.
Dave
Old 12-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #5
Tony, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in WY View Post
Thank You Duece-Roadster for the help and dimensions!! I DO appreciate your efforts in tearing apart your heater to get me the measurements, and for the pictures!!!
I believe I can find a motor that will work, and have a heater back in my 40 once again.
Dave
If you share the measurements and pics, you might get more help.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
alanwoodieman

was given this NAPA part number for heater motor replacement #655 1022. I have not used one of these yet, so I don't know for sure but worth a try
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
Dave in WY

Tony,NY and alanwoodieman, The NAPA motor is a wee bit too long. Everything else would work okay, but it's just a little long to fit properly. It will fit the 41 through 48 heater okay. The 39 & 40 heaters took smaller motors.
I'll try and add a picture that was Taken by Duece-Roadster of the 40 motor. The dimensions are: Motor Dia.= 2 15/16, Motor Length w/o shaft= 3 3/32, Shaft=1/4 x 13/16, and mounting studs are 2 1/4" apart.
I measured the distance from the mounting face on my heater to the inside of the squirrel Cage, and it is Min. 2 3/4" with fan in as far as it will go. With the fan shoved out as far as it will go, there is 2 15/16" of room. I don't think the NAPA motor will fit unless you build a shim to go around and under the cone shaped metal piece that mounts to the heater frame. Then you might run into clearence problems with the fan and core. ?? I thought I had found a motor, but the problem was the mounting studs were on the wrong end, and no way to change them. Thanks for all the help!!!
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heater 3.jpg (49.0 KB, 11 views)