Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
oldredford

Smile Drake parts

I am sick and tired of people trashing Bob Drake. I have met the man and he is an asset to our hobby. If you don't like his parts may I suggest you go elsewhere and keep your complaining off this site. I thank Bob and his staff for making parts for my 1940 coupe project. While sometimes not perfect, they sure beat having NOTHING! Crybabies go cry somewhere else.

Regards, Oldredford from South Carolina....
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
sonny

Default Re: Drake parts

I totally agree. Deal with it.
sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
19Fordy

True. Were it not for Bob Drake my 40 would never have been completed. I am glad he made the committment many years ago. Most folks don't have access to a large supply of OEM parts for a 62 year old car.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
[email protected]

Yeah, Bob Drake and his company are really great people. I've dealt with them for over 40 years, and have always been satisfied. Great stuff, and wonderful cataloges.
No one is perfect, not even Henry. Norm
njbooth@earthlink.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Dooley

Why can't people make a complaint about a business, and post it here to share with others in a non personal way? I don't order from him, but business is business and the fact that he is a nice guy should not prevent people from sharing their concerns. There are a ton of posts on the HAMB about certain vendors, and said vendors are made aware of them and in some instances have made changes for the better. Maybe there is something that Bob Drake could improve on???
Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
Why can't people make a complaint about a business, and post it here to share with others in a non personal way? I don't order from him, but business is business and the fact that he is a nice guy should not prevent people from sharing their concerns. There are a ton of posts on the HAMB about certain vendors, and said vendors are made aware of them and in some instances have made changes for the better. Maybe there is something that Bob Drake could improve on???
Hey Dooley,
I'm for free speech and take 'IT' all as a learning process...warts and all !
This place would be boring as heck...without stated problems, situations and yes..opinions. As for ANY particular supplier/business, they will live large and/or business will die based on their products and behavior..IMO.

What I would really like to know is...as regards catalogues; does such a thing as PROOF reading exist anymore? And, does any such practice as R&D exist at any level of making/selling in the old car parts industry

As to my first question: I have seen SAME part on different pages of same catalogue with different prices and description...what the heck is going on there? Well, it's obvious, no proof reading!

As to my second question: I have ordered/received parts that (because of ever increasing shipping rates and not fit for intended purpose) have been placed in the trash can.

Seems to me that BOTH of these questions/situations could easily be answered/remedied by having someone/anyone into old cars (public) enlisted to try out the product and make written report of what found...or is this too simplistic? Seems this procedure would boost/promote business and reduce/eliminate bad mouthing of suppliers products/service..no ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredford View Post
I am sick and tired of people trashing Bob Drake. I have met the man and he is an asset to our hobby. If you don't like his parts may I suggest you go elsewhere and keep your complaining off this site. I thank Bob and his staff for making parts for my 1940 coupe project. While sometimes not perfect, they sure beat having NOTHING! Crybabies go cry somewhere else.

Regards, Oldredford from South Carolina....
Trashing Bob? Nope... not at all. Simply stating the facts. Bob has had every opportunity to answer both privately and publicly but has chosen to run and hide. What little response he did offer was clearly rhetoric.
I am glad you are happy with his products. On occasion, I have been as well.
My suggestion to you is simply not to read the thread(s) that you find discomforting. In the meantime, it appears others actually may learn and / or care to share similar experiences.

My unresolved questions remain: "Where is Bob"? and "Why has he not addressed everyone's concerns"?
Old 07-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
41LjH

I thought about the previous posts before I wrote this. I am new to Old Fords but not to the car hobby and have been turning wenches as a hobby for over 50 years. I have been frustrated by the inferior parts and parts that don't fit since I bought my 41 Ford Pickup in 2009. I have concluded most parts do not fit out of the box so,as others have said,I spend a lot of money sending things back. I suppose this is to be expected but I don't like it. It is bad enough when the part is just wrong,but when the pieces you buy don't fit together that is real irritating. Case in point Bob Drake headlight rims. Why do you suppose the clips packaged with the rims are too small to fit over the pins to hold the parking light lens in the rim? I had to use Vintique clips.
To the comment "don't buy from him" it isn't that easy. I have ordered many parts from other vendors and find when they arrive they are Bob Drake. The ironic thing is I pay less than I would pay Bob Drake and still get his parts. Between Bob Drake, Dennis Carpenter, and Vintique a large part of the market is sewed up, so we really do not have the choice that we think we have. I would appreciate a little more quality control from all the suppliers. If this upsets you I am truly sorry, but the facts speak for themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41LjH View Post
I thought about the previous posts before I wrote this. I am new to Old Fords but not to the car hobby and have been turning wenches as a hobby for over 50 years. I have been frustrated by the inferior parts and parts that don't fit since I bought my 41 Ford Pickup in 2009. I have concluded most parts do not fit out of the box so,as others have said,I spend a lot of money sending things back. I suppose this is to be expected but I don't like it. It is bad enough when the part is just wrong,but when the pieces you buy don't fit together that is real irritating. Case in point Bob Drake headlight rims. Why do you suppose the clips packaged with the rims are too small to fit over the pins to hold the parking light lens in the rim? I had to use Vintique clips.
To the comment "don't buy from him" it isn't that easy. I have ordered many parts from other vendors and find when they arrive they are Bob Drake. The ironic thing is I pay less than I would pay Bob Drake and still get his parts. Between Bob Drake, Dennis Carpenter, and Vintique a large part of the market is sewed up, so we really do not have the choice that we think we have. I would appreciate a little more quality control from all the suppliers. If this upsets you I am truly sorry, but the facts speak for themselves.
You have somewhat gone to my original query... that being when parts are obviously wrong,why do we need to pay to return them? Also, why are they continually advertised as "perfect copies" etc. when they are so obviously NOT?

I think it was very telling the last time I did call to return something to BD and the gal that I spoke with offered with NO hesitation "they don't fit"?
tells me she knew it and must hear it quite often.
I can appreciate the fact that without these suppliers the hobby would be more difficult. Still, that is NOT the point.
I see nothing wrong with pointing out who and what parts / services stink. I do not hide my name and / or contact info. I state the facts and offer a chance for a rebuttal.
How are other folks supposed to know / learn good from bad? You guys that complain about this thread - have you ever read a restaurant review? If you have, why? Isn't it just terrible that someone would write such a thing? How about a movie review? If you folks really think about this and look at my initial query, I am confident you will see that what I have asked is not too much to expect from a reasonable / fair business.
Good businesses / ethical business owners correct their mistakes. The smart ones actually appreciate constructive criticism as it affords them the opportunity to correct their misgivings.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
Vic Piano

Here we go again… Kube, I find it amusing that you chose to respond directly to Oldredford, as he made no mention of names in his post. That says a lot! I do agree with you that constructive criticism can be a good thing, when delivered in a constructive way but, you have to admit that your “constructive criticism” came in a form more closely resembling a character assignation, then that of a legitimate critique. To buy or not to buy from Bob Drake… that is the question… I think we’ve all made up our minds in that regard, some will, some won’t, some do, some don’t. I think we should leave it at that.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Here we go again… Kube, I find it amusing that you chose to respond directly to Oldredford, as he made no mention of names in his post. That says a lot! I do agree with you that constructive criticism can be a good thing, when delivered in a constructive way but, you have to admit that your “constructive criticism” came in a form more closely resembling a character assignation, then that of a legitimate critique. To buy or not to buy from Bob Drake… that is the question… I think we’ve all made up our minds in that regard, some will, some won’t, some do, some don’t. I think we should leave it at that.
Vic, I find you once again amusing... you responded to a guy that made a spelling error (crap vs. carp) and even went so far as to transpose from a dictionary. Yet here you go. "Assignation"? I do know what that word means and wonder in what text YOU are using it. Ah, people that live in glass houses...
Anyway, if you look at OLDREDFORD's post, in his very first sentence he mentions Bob Drake by name. Quite clearly I might add. Perhaps you should slow down, read, then read again, then attempt to understand, prior to attempting once again to come after me.
You mentioned in one of your responses that by my admission to checking your thread "What I did..." I must be a fan of yours. Vic, I, like most others, look in the bowl most every time I take a dump... I, like others, know what I'll see. Still, I look.
I will reiterate, if you don't like this thread, go away from it.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
Vic Piano

Time to Wipe the Slate (or whatever) clean

You're right Kube, he did mention Bob Drake being under attack and you responded in kind... could it be guilt or just the assumption that you've lead the charge against BD? I've not "come after you", I have better, more important things to do (like rearranging my sox drawer). I merely pointed out that you responded on the offensive. I must admit, I've never heard of anyone being compelled to "look in the bowl" and I must say, that is an unusual analogy however, it’s just about the level of retort I've come to expect from you. If you insist on continuing this verbal joust, you must know that you are up against a worthy adversary and you have once again been out classed. Perhaps you should return to the toilet as it appears that is where you left your mind, or maybe that was what you saw in the bowl... Imagine that… Have a nice day.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Trashing Bob? Nope... not at all. Simply stating the facts. Bob has had every opportunity to answer both privately and publicly but has chosen to run and hide. What little response he did offer was clearly rhetoric.
I am glad you are happy with his products. On occasion, I have been as well.
My suggestion to you is simply not to read the thread(s) that you find discomforting. In the meantime, it appears others actually may learn and / or care to share similar experiences.

My unresolved questions remain: "Where is Bob"? and "Why has he not addressed everyone's concerns"?
Bob probably realizes it would be a futile attempt to try and satisfy you.
This is a personal vendetta you are waging against Bob, not a bad product report.
I'm surprised that Ryan hasn't closed this thread yet.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
Kube

Quote:
Time to Wipe the Slate (or whatever) clean

You're right Kube, he did mention Bob Drake being under attack and you responded in kind... Hmm... I didn't think I did. could it be guilt or just the assumption that you've lead the charge against BD? Or neither? I've not "come after you",. I have better, more important things to do (like rearranging my sox SOX? drawer). I merely pointed out that you responded on the offensive. I must admit, I've never heard of anyone being compelled to "look in the bowl" and I must say, that is an unusual analogy. Hhowever, it’s just about the level of retort I've come to expect from you. If you insist on continuing this verbal joust, you must know that you are up against a worthy adversary Getting help are you? and you have once again been out classed. By???Perhaps you should return to the toilet as it appears that is where you left your mind, or maybe that was what you saw in the bowl... Imagine that… Oh man, you are good. Ouch! Have a nice day.
I am laughing my butt off.
Your narcissism has blinded you.
I am outta here... I have met folks like you but not quite to your degree. There is no sense in "jousting". You would not realize when it is practical to stay on the floor.
It was fun. It was.
Seriously, I am laughing my butt off. You are friggin' hilarious.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
Barry-ct

THe horse is dead... Let's drop the sticks and quit beating it. I've read all the postings on the various posts that have been made and if the Vendors are listening, they'll step up and do right. If not, we know who not to buy from. I understand they all sell to each other and don't hide the fact when they ship your order. Let's get back to what's good about old Fords and Flatheads in particular.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
Vic Piano

Wow... Another excellent retort Kube! I suggest that you look up the definition of the big word you like to use,” narcissism". Here, let me help; Narcissism n. Excessive love or admiration of oneself. That definition aptly applies to you more then to me, as I have never put myself out to be the "expert" on '40 Fords or anything else Ford related for that matter. Clearly that's your game! Be careful "laughing your ass off" as the remains of your infantile brain may fall out as a result. On the up side, you can turn around and watch as you flush it down, so easily amused… Imagine that. Have a good evening.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #17
Kube

Quote:
Wow... Another excellent retort Kube! I suggest that you look up the definition of the big word you like to use,” narcissism". Here, let me help; Narcissism n. Excessive love or admiration of oneself. That definition aptly applies to you more then to me, as I have never put myself out to be the "expert" on '40 Fords or anything else Ford related for that matter. Clearly that's your game! Be careful "laughing your ass off" as the remains of your infantile brain may fall out as a result. On the up side, you can turn around and watch as you flush it down, so easily amused… Imagine that. Have a good evening.
Hey Vic, are you going to Branson?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #18
Vic Piano

No, I won't be in Branson. I would like to go on the New England Tour but business precludes that opportunity. I am planning on attending the Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, Georgia in late October, I'll most likely be driving our '39 CS up as we are also having another "Barner's Bash" to coincide with the Festival. You'd enjoy it as there are a ton of '39 &'40 Fords (some are original "shine runners") on display.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #19
FHFD

De Ju Vu..
Could have sworn this was just beat to death er discussed, a short time ago..hmm.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #20
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

This all could be resolved with one phone call, pretty simple. And then better replacement parts with fare business practices, simple again. There is an opportunity here to have something improved with the cooperation of the manufacture. Obviously that ain't happening. Dead horse? how about dead beats! Grow some balls and stand up and try to make difference. Still with ya Kube, but looks like many really don't care, sad.