Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #21
hope

Default Re: glasspacks

AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!

I 'm also contemplating a choice for Mufflers, but with all these recommendations I don't know witch way to turn.
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #22
Kahuna

I have Cherry Bombs on my 39. Very mellow. I have Cherry Bombs on my 32 and they are way too loud. They bark somewhat at an idle. I don't understand it at all.
On both cars the pipes exit in front of the rear tires
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #23
2ndgeer

Bob H
This rpu was at the 2009 Pasadena Reliability Run. Any help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mitchell muffler PRC run 09 e.jpg (81.6 KB, 16 views)
2ndgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #24
Bassman/NZ

If it's of any help amid the plethora of glasspacks, the Smithys are not very loud, but have a very nice mellow rumble. My pick if you want a nice mellow sound. If you want a bit louder and more "hotrod" then Porters are beautiful. A little bit of snarl. My pick for louder packs. I have no experience of Brockmans, so do not know where they sit.
Remember that pipe size in, pipe size out, and where in the pipe the muffler is situated all determines the sound. The good thing is that you can quieten them down if they're too loud by situating them closer to the engine, plus using a smaller tail pipe. And vice versa if too quiet.
Also remember that a rappy exhaust is OK around town, but may drive you nuts on a long trip.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #25
JWL
Member Emeritus

As has already been mentioned everybody feels like they have the best setup or they wouldn't be posting for you to read. But, a few facts are in order here--- First, headers will not improve cooing or power for your street operated car. But they can be a challenge to install and do add something of a tin-like sound. Pipe diameter influences sound.
I have Smitty type mufflers with 1 3/4" pipe. For the first few months I was disappointed with how quiet they were. Then they opened up. Most guys like the sound. Personally I get sick of it on a long drive down the interstate.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #26
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Dice View Post
size of pipes can make or break the sound of the mufflers
1 3/4" pipes w/cherry bombs on mine
Agreed, I have Red's headers, 1 3/4" pipe, and Smitthy's mufflers. I'd try Brockman mellow tones just to try them out, but I'm happy with the Smithy's.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #27
hotrodderhaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon laing View Post
I want to install a dual glasspack exhaust system on my stock 1939 ford deluxe 2 door sedan. I am looking for that 50's cool sound. Which make of glasspacks is recommended? Some say installing headers is a waste of time. I am not looking for improved performance---only sound. Are headers worth considering or will they not do much for me? Jon Laing

i run the factory 36 manifolds on my 21 stud that i squeezed into my model a.. i ran 1 3/4 stainless pipes from the manifolds, through THRUSH glasspacks, and dumped it out in front of the rear wheels.. it sounds wonderful. and its not loud in the car at all. im really happy with it. i will eventually switch to the steel packs becuase i have been told they sound better
hotrodderhaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #28
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD...BILL View Post
I'am still trying to think, right now I'am going to say..."MICHELL" ..muff.?? he had a model A pickup with a Olds 88 engine hydro trans ?? it was dark green with black fenders,,, right ?? and they were glass pack. had a pair ,,,watched em being made..then what was the cross Green?? .... OLD.....BILL

This 'rings-a-bell'... Mitchell could be 'it'. The Model A also rings a bell. I grew up in the area, and this part of old Pasa was within bicycle-distance, so I also remember watching the manufacturing. When I first had a car (actually a pickup), I also had a pair of these mufflers (about 1953 ??).
By "cross Green", do you mean the cross street? My vague memory thinks between Pasadena Ave, and Fair Oaks. Most likely close to DeLacey. I'm for sure thinking west of Fair Oaks, but then again, my memory fades.
Thank You.
Bob
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #29
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgeer View Post
Bob H
This rpu was at the 2009 Pasadena Reliability Run. Any help?
Thanks for the tip, and thanks for the memory. This address, 803 E Colorado, is out east, maybe a block west of Lake. This was an 'installer', a muffler shop, and NOT a manufacturer. This is where me and my high school buddies got our first duals installed.
So, I'm left wondering, who was across town, on Green, manufacturing mufflers??
Thanks again, Bob
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #30
Seth Swoboda

I have experience with both Smithy's and Brockman's. Both cars have headers. The Brockman steel pack sound much better than the Smithy glass pack. I will now always choose a steel pack over a glass pack for my flathead applications.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #31
OldDad

Hey BobH,

Too bad the old man is no longer with us, as I'm sure he could answer your question, and I'm willing to wager I have a pair of those glass packs on my '40. These were installed by Duffy Livingstone back in the '50's or early '60's. Duffy was a friend of my father, and I remember hanging out at his muffler shop in Monrovia later on in the '60's. I was about 6-8 years old at the time. Duffy had an AV8 roadster pickup back then, too. Long ago and far away, but great memories.

Now, if I could just remember the name of that body shop that was out there on west Green back then, two names, what was it . . . oh well, sorry for stinking up the thread here!
OldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #32
Strick

Brockman Mello-tone steel packs! Today's smithys don't sound like they did back in the day.
Strick is offline   Reply With Quote