Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
bogiediver

Default Radiator cap mounted, 5 flag holder.

Anyone know where to get the radiator cap mounted, 5 flag holder (or have one you're willing to sell).

First pic is from Bert's in Denver website - ordered it only to find out it was discontinued, but not removed from the site; apparently the supplier has passed away).

Second pic is Great Lakes Greg's avatar.

GLG avatar is the exact item - with the R,W & B shield (unless that's a separate piece - wife couldn't remember).

What Bert's used to offer would be a close second...

I'm trying to track down one of these because it has a very sentimental memory for my wife... she took a trip in '92 with her Dad in the '31 Roadster from Chicago to Sante Fe and they had one of these. Replacing flags along the way until they ran out - arriving in Santa Fe with just 3 tattered ones left.

As things happened, this turned out to be the first, and only, trip just she & her Dad ever got to take - he passed 6 months after returning.

Car was mostly disassembled in '05 and when we picked up the pieces and reassembled - this was not to be found.

Any help appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-01-25_093940.jpg (31.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-02_093340.jpg (13.2 KB, 58 views)
Old 02-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
JBR

Default Re: Radiator cap mounted, 5 flag holder.

bogie,
I believe those were made by Rainmaker Ron and sold to the vendors. Most of the vendors have or had them in there catalogs, but I don't know if they are out of stock or not. Rainmaker is retired. Hopefully the rumors of his demise are also greatly exaggerated. I just talked to him on the phone on Tuesday. He haunts this forum. Hopefully he will jump in and tell you where to get one. If not, you might want to contact him.
Jon

Synders web site shows them Mac's has one that is similar, but not quite the same.

Last edited by JBR; 02-02-2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added info
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
bogiediver

I saw the Mac's 5 flag, but it is straight mount for bumper clamps or other bolt locations...

I did not find it on Synder's when I searched the first time - because I used too many words... searched just 'flag' now and I see what they have... The 'Locking Cap Flag Set' is close (and probably the same as Bert's offering, just pictured at a different angle) - and may be the fall back (wonder why they picture it with only 4 flags). The other 'Flag Set' they offer doesn't look or mount the way we'd like.

The one like Great Lake Greg's is really what I'm hoping to be able to find somewhere, somehow...

In the meantime, I've contacted Snyder's to see if they have one in stock...

Sorry 'bout the other comment - was just relaying what Bert's comment was... <embarrassed>

Thanks for the reply
Old 02-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Rainmaker Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogiediver View Post
Anyone know where to get the radiator cap mounted, 5 flag holder (or have one you're willing to sell).

First pic is from Bert's in Denver website - ordered it only to find out it was discontinued, but not removed from the site; apparently the supplier has passed away).

Second pic is Great Lakes Greg's avatar.

GLG avatar is the exact item - with the R,W & B shield (unless that's a separate piece - wife couldn't remember).

What Bert's used to offer would be a close second...

I'm trying to track down one of these because it has a very sentimental memory for my wife... she took a trip in '92 with her Dad in the '31 Roadster from Chicago to Sante Fe and they had one of these. Replacing flags along the way until they ran out - arriving in Santa Fe with just 3 tattered ones left.

As things happened, this turned out to be the first, and only, trip just she & her Dad ever got to take - he passed 6 months after returning.

Car was mostly disassembled in '05 and when we picked up the pieces and reassembled - this was not to be found.

Any help appreciated
The first picture from Berts is for sure my design, we sold several items to Bert as well as most of the major vendors. The radiator cap flag holder is a unique design and one that I perfected several years before deciding to pony up with the cash to have dies made. The cost to tool up was $12,000! We recovered about half our investment before selling our business. The buyer bought our retail business, all my used parts and the rights and tooling for large and small visors and bumper mounted flag holders. The tooling for the radiator cap holder was offered for sale to several of the larger vendors but found no takers. It has since been dismantled.
No, I haven't passed yet, I kept my shop and stay busy working on customers cars.
Rainmaker Ron
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
bogiediver

Rainmaker Ron - perhaps the guy at Bert's was referring to whoever you sold to?? Glad to hear you're OK

Found a picture of the actual holder on the car back in '92...

Hopeful to find this or something close - which appears to be different than RR's - unless it's a shield added on...?? Also just slightly different that Great Lake Greg's...

Subtle differences - but a sentimental item...

My wife just emailed -
"The one that we used to have had an adjustable metal strap that went around the radiator cap. "

After she wrote this, I looked very close at the picture and can see the strap...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-02-02_124134.jpg (31.1 KB, 55 views)
Old 02-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
JBR

Bogie,
I believe the one with the shield is an antique. You can find them on ebay occasionally and in antique stores. The usually go kind of high. If you had Rainmakers, you could make a shield and add to the front if you are at all artistic.

The reason Synder's show it with 4 flags is that when you mount it on a Quayle, the beak interferes with the center flag. You can fix that by bending the mount so the flags lean forward a little bit. Then you can use all 5 flags.

No offense taken on the comment. Rumors happen.
Jon
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
MikeK

The real trick is to get the correct 48 star flags. Alaska and Hawaii came long after the "A" era! The star count is the first thing I notice when I see flags an an A.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
Vern

Bogie, is this the type of flag holder you mean? I found this one at an antique store a dozen years back, only had two 48 star flags at the time, & the shield shows patina. I use a different kind on the front of my roadster, bolted at the center bumper clamp.

Last edited by Vern; 05-30-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #9
Kurt in NJ

I have had this one for 30 years, I take the flags out when driving now, they are starting to get tired, i think it id "T" era, I had to use longer screws to fit my radiator neck----and also need to remember to not open the hood when it is installed ---the hood will hit the tabs.

Mine is not for sale ---but what do you think would be a reasonable price for a repro??

This one can hold 7 flags
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0203.JPG (157.6 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Kurt in NJ; 02-06-2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: more
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
bogiediver

Talking Re: Radiator cap mounted, 5 flag holder.

Just wanted to follow up...

Thanks to those who offered suggestions and/or offered to sell their flag holder.

Went to a local swap meet Sunday - found the pictured holder on the third table I came to...

The exact holder as pictured on the the car in 1992...

And at an extremely reasonable price (so much so, my wife wouldn't let me haggle with the seller at all...)

She's very happy - and when she's happy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00175.JPG (21.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
Frank Nemo

NOS at that!! Great find, save the box.
Frank Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Big John

Ain't no trick to get 48 star flags,,,,,type in 48 star flags in yahoo search....all sizes...
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Great Lakes Greg

I bought mine on ebay. Got the flags at Walmart (made in China!). Be sure to glue the flags to the sticks better, because they tear off easily in the wind.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
zzlegend

Don't know if any one is interested in this, but just thought i would pass it on. Looks to be a little different then what i have seen in the past. I personally have one like Greg has on his avatar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MODEL-T-...sories&vxp=mtr
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote