Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
J Witt

Default Driving in traffic and on tours

When I had my Model T in Tucson AZ I drove it on monthly tours and ice cream runs. It was mostly an OK experience with very few "incidents" since I was generally careful to drive within the car's limits (two wheel brakes). The T would easily maintain 30-35 mph in city traffic and I was careful about following distances. I put around 20K miles on my 1912 Touring in six years.

On highway tours we would pick routes with less traffic and give way whenever possible. Tours tended to be slower since the slowest car set the pace.

My question is, how is the driving experience now? A's, I assume, can go a little faster and mix with traffic better, probably in speed terms no worse than a semi truck or my RV. How is the experience on country two lane roads?

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1912 Model T 02 (801 x 567).jpg (62.7 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by J Witt; 03-27-2015 at 05:54 PM.
J Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: Driving in traffic and on tours

Most of our tour type driving is done on 2-lane roads, 'cause that's what we have here in Alaska. We usually cruise at 50-55 mph and do pull out from time to time to let the impatient ones go around. There are usually sufficient "truck" lanes when going up hills to make that happen.

In town traffic is no problem.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #3
1930artdeco

when I go on tours (or by myself) I have been known to go on the freeway to get there faster. But generally, we stay on secondary roads.

Mike
Old 03-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
Jwilli

I stay on 2 lane roads. I have not been on any tours. No way will I drive an A on the interstate in Ga.
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
daveymc29

I have driven my roadster to San Diego from Danville, CA. (30 miles east of SF approx.) I took Hwy, One from Monterey to San Luis Obispo, that is almost entirely two lane and follows the coastline. From SLO I took 101, which is four lanes, with a diversion some miles south of Santa Maria over the Mtns. into Santa Barbara, which was two lanes, then four lanes to LA through Oxnard, Malibu to Santa Monica, where I got on the freeway and drove 35 mph or less in 5:00 o'clock traffic down to San Juan Capistrano where the speed picked up in the right hand lane, but I have a Mitchell OD so I could go 55 and did so to San Diego. Took me about 14 hours all told and had a wonderful ride. I visited my sister and brother in law and drove home about the reverse, getting on Hwy. One in Santa Monica and onto 101 at Oxnard, which are ll four lane, then took a two lane over the mountains to east of Solvang and continued over to 101 again which is mostly four lanes or more, much of it freeway and didn't drive one again, stayed with the heavily travelled 101 and when I got back to Danville I had been driving 14 hours that day also. Beautiful ride, top down part of the way but too much sun so I put it back up. No problems, no one upset following me, all thumbs up, no middle finger salutes and got a tad over 20 MPG for the two trips. Where I went was about 605 miles each way. This was ten years ago when I did this, but I's do it again in a heart beat, and have no troubles with the traffic as long as I'm polite and sometimes create a pull out if I get too many behind me, but generally people have been kind.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #6
Seth Swoboda

J Witt, I don't mean to hijack this thread but if you have a Curtiss airplane I'm dying to see a photo.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:57 PM   #7
J Witt

Seth,

I have been an airplane nut and model builder all my life. In 2009 I built a Proctor kit in 1/6 scale of a Jenny, drawing heavily on pix and info from Brian Karli ( http://curtissjennyrestoration.blogspot.com/ ). The pictured serial number medallion is actually on the panel of his airplane, which is now flying.

My model Jenny was flown in a number of meets for several years and is now hanging in the USAF Airman Museum at Lackland AFB, San Antonio.

I have a real soft spot for early aircraft and Jennies in particular.

Thanks for your interest,

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dsc_0551 (800 x 501).jpg (51.2 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0806 (600 x 401).jpg (92.1 KB, 124 views)
Old 03-27-2015, 10:07 PM   #8
ian Simpson

We have three very different collector cars, with our MGB we tend to run with the traffic on all roads, including major highways (similar to interstates). Our 1957 Chevrolet handles traffic on secondary roads easily. However, our 1928 Model A requires care in navigating modern traffic. Speed and acceleration are not the problem, stopping and the perception of other motorists are significant issues. We do not often travel out of the city with the A, but despite a lot of work on the brakes, they do not work well enough for modern traffic. Further, we find that younger drivers (50 year olds and less) have no appreciation for the capabilities or otherwise of older vehicles.

When I was growing up the natural progression was from bicycle to motorcycle to car. Older (pre-war) vehicles were common, and everyone appeared to appreciate the capabilities or otherwise of others sharing the road. In the last ten to fifteen years I have noticed a complete ignorance or disdain for the others sharing the road.

Not withstanding the above diatribe, I do enjoy driving any and all collector vehicles, from the MG through to the 1954 McCormick W4 tractor (The only gas engine tractor that I regularly drive.)

Ian
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:42 PM   #9
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Witt View Post
Seth,

I have been an airplane nut and model builder all my life. In 2009 I built a Proctor kit in 1/6 scale of a Jenny, drawing heavily on pix and info from Brian Karli ( http://curtissjennyrestoration.blogspot.com/ ). The pictured serial number medallion is actually on the panel of his airplane, which is now flying.

My model Jenny was flown in a number of meets for several years and is now hanging in the USAF Airman Museum at Lackland AFB, San Antonio.

I have a real soft spot for early aircraft and Jennies in particular.

Thanks for your interest,

John
Very interesting John. I have always wanted a flight in a Jenny or similar early bi-plane aircraft. Thanks for posting photos.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:20 PM   #10
Fred K-OR

J Witt, one advantage of driving freeways, you don't have to pull over to let people pass. You can cruise at a reasonable speed and just let them all go by. But I think I prefer the two lane roads with little traffic. More enjoyable and you can take in the views.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:48 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Witt View Post

My question is, how is the driving experience now? A's, I assume, can go a little faster and mix with traffic better, probably in speed terms no worse than a semi truck or my RV. How is the experience on country two lane roads?

John
Same as T's only slightly faster.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:52 PM   #12
eagle

I drive my A regularly and I take the family every year, with my brother and his A, on a road trip. We do country roads, an occasional short stretch of four lane. Never been a problem, people respect the old cars up here in stickville and never push us. I do have a question though... What is it with the model A brakes? I can lock up all four wheels any time I want to and never have a problem stopping. Why are some not capable of this? That is one question I often get when people look at my A. "I suppose you've put hydraulic brakes in it, seeing as you drive it on regular roads..." No, I have not and see no need to, it will stop on a dime and give you a nickels change. Why do some NOT stop? Is it something that is going to be an issue later on for mine too? It stops straight and true, has enough friction to skid tires on pavement if I desire, what more can brakes be expected to do? We don't have too many hills around that I can't climb in 3rd gear, sometimes a couple cars will back up behind me, but usually its because they are enjoying watching rather than being irritated. I usually drive between 45 and low 50's. If I'm late or something I might push it up to 55 but not too often. People enjoy seeing an old car and love to take a looksee at gas stations and so on. I don't know how many times I've heard,"My grandparents had a car EXACTLY like that many years ago...except I think it was a Dodge (or chysler, or chev, etc)

Last edited by eagle; 03-27-2015 at 11:59 PM.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:48 AM   #13
mhsprecher

I am with eagle on the brakes. My town sedan stops great. My roadster, not so much, but it has old steel drums that I plan to replace soon. My TS has cast iron drums. I keep both cars brakes adjusted per the service bulletins and Les Andrews.

I have driven on interstates and divided highways, but I do not like it and stick to secondaries whenever possible. I drive mine around town often and occasionally on longer trips. I plan to drive my sedan to Niagara Falls for the MARC meet in June. I drove my roadster to Hershey last October, 125 miles each way without a hitch.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:20 AM   #14
Jwilli

Beautiful airplane.
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #15
rosenkranswa

We have T's and A's, and a '42 Tudor all of which we drive in the western Philadelphia suburbs and on tours, including taking the A on the Blue Ridge Parkway last year. I drive the T like it has no brakes, lots of following distance, etc., the A a bit faster but still lots of distance, the '42 more like a modern car but still very careful. As stated above, its not my driving I worry about as much as the other guy's idiocy.

We just came back from the Model T Winter Tour in Gainesville, FL. Two near-incidents there involved pedestrians. In one case coming through a small town; slowed way down, hyper vigilant, and a fellow stepped off the curb without even looking. Hit both pedals and swerved slightly, how I managed not to hit him I don't know, he didn't even look up until we were nearly beside him. In the other case we were coming into Gainesville and preparing to make a turn when a fellow and has son stepped off the curb looking at all the old cars and not paying attention. They stopped in the turn lane we were headed for. Again hit both pedals and swerved slightly, they didn't look toward us until we were past them.

Love the Jenny! My Dad's old boss was one of the early barnstormer pilots and his Jenny hung in the old Stapleton Airport in Denver for many years until they built the new airport. Not sure what happened to it after that.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #16
Mikeinnj

J Witt said : "My question is, how is the driving experience now? "

JWitt - You did not say how far in the past your "driving experience" was.

Readers could surmise that it was from Model T production days, or perhaps as recent as last week.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #17
J Witt

There is a Jenny ( same model -JN4-D - as my miniature) hanging in the main concours at Stapleton.

Thanks for all the great comments folks. I'm looking forward to getting an A on the road as soon as I can.

John
Old 03-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #18
J Witt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
J Witt said : "My question is, how is the driving experience now? "

JWitt - You did not say how far in the past your "driving experience" was.

Readers could surmise that it was from Model T production days, or perhaps as recent as last week.
Good catch, Mike. I was in Tucson from 1991 until 1998, so my old car experience was 17 years ago.

John
Old 03-28-2015, 11:05 AM   #19
mshmodela

J Witt,

Exceptionally fine airplane you have built Sir.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #20
Jordan

I've always driven my on freeways. Growing up, my grandpa avoided them at all cost. But he also rarely drove over 45 mph, so that was probably a smart decision. He didn't even really like driving on the freeways in a modern car. However, when I inherited the car, I wasn't afraid to drive it on freeways and I knew the cars limits. When it was more stock, it would cruise easily at 55 mph. Now that I've done mods, it would cruise at 65-70 if I wanted it to, but I keep it around 60 just because I don't even like driving a modern car 70 mph.

Quite honestly, I think it depends on the car and if it's up to freeway driving standards. I much prefer on longer road trips to take the backroads. But if I'm going to a club meeting or function, I'm going to jump on the freeway.