Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
franksford

Default copper head gaskets

Please share you thoughts on using copper head gaskets or composition gaskets with new aluminum heads, and sealant. Thanks. Frank
franksford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #2
37don

Default Re: copper head gaskets

I think either are ok. I used composition when I assembled my engine without any coating and had a very hard time removing the residue from the heads and the block. That was after 38000 mi. I just had the heads off and reinstalled them with Best copper gaskets and sprayed both sides with permatex copper coat per the manufacturer recommendation. They also recomend spraying their composit gaskets. The composit gaskets tend to be .015" +or- less in thickness than copper. I also put a zink in each head. I have an extra port in each head. I got my zink from Boatzinks.com. They have several configurations,I got the brass plug with the zink threaded in. I also bought 4 spare replacement zinks. Can't hurt anything.
Regards ,Don

Last edited by 37don; 05-10-2017 at 01:16 PM.
37don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
Andy

I put new aluminum heads on my build. After a short time I needed to take the off. The heads were terribly corroded due to the lectrolisis between the heads and the copper gaskets. I switched to composite and used the copper spray. The copper spray apparently had not dried after a week and had now bonded the heads to the block. It now has the comp gaskets coated with grease. No problems now.
One advantage to the copper gasket is the inside of the block will look brand new!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I put new aluminum heads on my build. After a short time I needed to take the off. The heads were terribly corroded due to the lectrolisis between the heads and the copper gaskets. I switched to composite and used the copper spray. The copper spray apparently had not dried after a week and had now bonded the heads to the block. It now has the comp gaskets coated with grease. No problems now.
One advantage to the copper gasket is the inside of the block will look brand new!
Andy the copper coat spray will never dry it allows the gasket to move around sometimes thats a good thing and sometimes thats a bad thing. I personally never use copper coat on any head gaskets I prefer good old silver spray paint on every copper head gasket I use and I never experiance any issues with corrosion on any of my engines and the many I have built for others.
Ron
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #5
koates

Hi, Never use copper head gaskets with aluminium cylinder heads, Only composite type. Copper is OK with cast iron heads. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
hi, never use copper head gaskets with aluminium cylinder heads, only composite type. Copper is ok with cast iron heads. Regards, kevin.

Your so wrong but hey what would I know other than every engine I build for the street and race use copper head gaskets with aluminum heads. Must be some kind of magic if I can do it then.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:33 PM   #7
hombres ruin

I used copper head gaskets on my 50 with offy heads . I had no corrosion at all. Seemed to be ok when I took the heads off
Old 06-04-2017, 07:41 PM   #8
BABAR40

I'm with RonnieRoadster, sprayed my copper gaskets with a couple of coats of silver paint.
No leaks and torqued down perfectly.
BABAR40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:07 PM   #9
fourfords

Call Kearny Pattern Works Foundry in the California, who manufactures new aluminum heads and ask them what they recommend. 408-293-7414 or, 877-551-4421.

FYI: When I bought their perfect aluminum heads for my not-as-perfect '33 Sedan, (V8 Times, Jan-Feb, 2016) They would not sell them to me if I intended to use copper head gaskets.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #10
flatjack9

Did they make you swear not to use copper gaskets? Did you have to sign some-thing?(Chuckle). I'm with Ronnie Roadster on this one.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:05 PM   #11
drolston

Put copper gaskets under my Offy 425 heads, but feeling pretty apprehensive about it now. So I added a sacrificial anode that attaches with a wire to the center of the radiator cap, and lays on top of the core. Just this week I added a pint of NoRosion to the water. The product has been around for a while and has been recommended; will certainly do no harm.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:37 AM   #12
jimTN

I have run copper gaskets on my cars with alum heads for years with no problems.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:30 AM   #13
Andy

I think it all depends on the coolant. Maybe the antifreeze or something in the water sets up conductivity. I know for an absolute fact my heads were nearly destroyed in a very short time.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:51 AM   #14
Init1

Both gaskets are fine. It is very important you use a quality 50/50 preblended anti freeze with deionized water and sacrificial anodes. I put one in a head and one in the lower tank of the radiator. Also disconnect the battery when the car is sitting.
Having said all that I prefer copper.
Init1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:20 AM   #15
GOSFAST

Mentioned above, maintain a good 50/50 anti-freeze mix AND check all ground straps, occasionally they will need "cleaning"!

We've been using the copper head gaskets for years now on various builds, especially the "blown" platforms. Only recently changed over to the "MLS" style ones.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. One other procedure we began using some years ago on the Flatheads is "pinning" the heads to the block (photos below) much like the Chevy's. This became more important to us when we realized vendors like Edelbrock had begun enlarging the head-bolt holes. Making these larger allows the heads to "move-around" more than in the past, the "pinning" keeps this movement under better control.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Heads Pinned A.JPG (75.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead H-G Pinned A.JPG (75.4 KB, 40 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote