Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2023, 08:47 AM   #1
Jrdaw

Default 1935 pickup hood

I have the original hood for my 1935 ford pickup. I need installation instructions since I have no idea where to begin. Appears to two halves bolt together..
Jrdaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 11:50 AM   #2
nelsb01

Default Re: 1935 pickup hood

There should be a chrome piano hinge down the middle that was spot welded to the two top halfs.
The sides are attached with a steel rod that slides into the edges of the tops and sides.

The piano hinge has a round point on each end that inserts into a chrome clip on the cowl and a similar one on the grille. These clips are not the same as passenger vehicles.

The center hinge is available as are the clips for the cowl and grille.
The hood sides also have rubber bumpers at the bottom, where the hood sides meet the inter fender shield. These kits are also available.

Hope this helps.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 09:32 PM   #3
Jrdaw

Thank you very much. I probably don’t have anything but the hood.
Old 12-14-2023, 08:09 AM   #4
Model51

This might be more than what you want to know, but here goes:

The hood sides mate with the hood tops with a continuous piano-type hinge. If you are missing the rod that keeps these together, it's 35 3/8" long and 0.261" diameter. You can purchase a 36" rod in this exact diameter from McMaster Carr for around $6 each plus shipping.

The hood tops fit together with an overlapping chromium plated hinge. Each piece of the hinge is spot welded and punch-swaged to the corresponding hood top. This hinge was reproduced in stainless steel so if you are missing it, you might be able to find one.

The hood is attached to the cowl and the radiator. The top hinge has an extension formed at each end. The top hinge has an extension formed at each end. Two stainless steel brackets (Part No. 50-16726), one on the radiator rod support and the other on the top lip of the cowl, provide sockets for the hinge extension to hold the hood in place and allows for the hinge to pivot and the hood top to fold upwards. The bracket on the radiator rod support is secured with two No. 12-24 x 9/16″ special binding head screws (Part No. 350240-S2). The bracket on the cowl is held in place with two No. 12-24 x 9/16″ special binding head screws (Part No.350222-S2), No. 12 lock washers, and square nuts (Part No. 34128-S2).
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 04:26 PM   #5
Jrdaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model51 View Post
This might be more than what you want to know, but here goes:

The hood sides mate with the hood tops with a continuous piano-type hinge. If you are missing the rod that keeps these together, it's 35 3/8" long and 0.261" diameter. You can purchase a 36" rod in this exact diameter from McMaster Carr for around $6 each plus shipping.

The hood tops fit together with an overlapping chromium plated hinge. Each piece of the hinge is spot welded and punch-swaged to the corresponding hood top. This hinge was reproduced in stainless steel so if you are missing it, you might be able to find one.

The hood is attached to the cowl and the radiator. The top hinge has an extension formed at each end. The top hinge has an extension formed at each end. Two stainless steel brackets (Part No. 50-16726), one on the radiator rod support and the other on the top lip of the cowl, provide sockets for the hinge extension to hold the hood in place and allows for the hinge to pivot and the hood top to fold upwards. The bracket on the radiator rod support is secured with two No. 12-24 x 9/16″ special binding head screws (Part No. 350240-S2). The bracket on the cowl is held in place with two No. 12-24 x 9/16″ special binding head screws (Part No.350222-S2), No. 12 lock washers, and square nuts (Part No. 34128-S2).
Thanks for the info. The sides are already together. I think I understand how the center hinge goes on between radiator and cowl. I have the center hinge ordered. What size bolts do I need to attach the two halves to the hinge between radiator and cowl?
Old 12-17-2023, 01:42 PM   #6
Model51

The original attachment uses a punched or swaged hole to joins the hood tops to the hinge parts. There were also a several spot welds along the joint to also hold the hinge to the hood tops. The heat of spot welding can risk the chromium finish (or stainless in the reproduction version) of the hinge to tarnish so that's something to consider. Also, the swaging of the pieces together must require a special die and press, so that's hard to replicate. Also, the reproduction hinge has holes, but they might not align with the holds in the seam of your hood top.
One option is to drill a series of holes along the hinge and hood top flange and use short flathead screws, lock washers and nuts. This isn't the way the Ford factory made the joint, but it's something you can do. It's really up to what you are comfortable doing. This joint does get a lot of stress, so it's good to have a solid connection.
Old 12-23-2023, 02:58 PM   #7
Jrdaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsb01 View Post
There should be a chrome piano hinge down the middle that was spot welded to the two top halfs.
The sides are attached with a steel rod that slides into the edges of the tops and sides.

The piano hinge has a round point on each end that inserts into a chrome clip on the cowl and a similar one on the grille. These clips are not the same as passenger vehicles.

The center hinge is available as are the clips for the cowl and grille.
The hood sides also have rubber bumpers at the bottom, where the hood sides meet the inter fender shield. These kits are also available.

Hope this helps.
I have after market piano hinge that I bolted both halves of the hood. Received my front and rear mounts behind radiator and cowl.. doesn’t appear that the piano hinge protrudes enough to fit into front and back brackets. Am I missing the center rod you mentioned?
Couldn’t figure out how to attach pictures to clarify. Appreciate your knowledge. I tried to send you pm but it wasn’t allowed
Old 12-23-2023, 03:26 PM   #8
Model51

Jrdaw - the hinge contains the short extensions which fit into the brackets. There's no rod between the two hood tops. I'll get a photo of how these work once I unearth my hood.
Old 12-23-2023, 04:36 PM   #9
Jrdaw

Thank you very much. The piano hinge I purchased doesn’t have the extensions. I will make some because what you say makes sense. Wish I could send pictures-you’ve been a great help.
Old 12-23-2023, 10:22 PM   #10
Model51

Should have some shop time tomorrow to take a few images for you.
Old 12-24-2023, 10:24 AM   #11
Jrdaw

Appreciate your time and effort.
Old 12-24-2023, 04:23 PM   #12
Model51

The attached picture shows the front part of the hood without the stainless steel mounting bracket (which is normally attached to the radiator). The rusty looking tube is the extension of the center hinge which normally fits inside the mounting bracket. There's a similar extension on the other end of the hinge and another bracket mounted to the cowl. These extensions make the center hinge the almost same length as the hood. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4878.jpg (50.0 KB, 56 views)
Old 12-24-2023, 04:47 PM   #13
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model51 View Post
The attached picture shows the front part of the hood without the stainless steel mounting bracket (which is normally attached to the radiator). The rusty looking tube is the extension of the center hinge which normally fits inside the mounting bracket. There's a similar extension on the other end of the hinge and another bracket mounted to the cowl. These extensions make the center hinge the almost same length as the hood. Hope this helps.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 07:02 PM   #14
Jrdaw

Yes, very helpful, let u know how it works out.