Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
tdub2112

Default Best Present Ever

Hello All!

I'm nnew to Ford Barn, and actually, I'm a die hard Mopar guy, so don't try to hate on my too much. The reason I'm here is a funny story though. I typed it all up before, it came out to be a novel, but I never hit the submit button and my laptop battery died. So, I'll give you the Readers Digest version. of it.

My great grandpa many years ago, was into restoring the oldies, and had a fondness for Model A's and T's. His last project was a 1928 Sport Coupe, that as the story goes, was a cab from one car, frame and engine from another, and a whole host of other missing parts from catalogs.

Well, to avoid bitterness when he died, he sold it to my grandpa. After running it through a parade or two, it sat in a garage bay at their cabin for years.

(Here's when I come in) From the time I was little, I loved to go out and stare at the old girl, it really was a gem, and it was built by my great grandpa non the less. I would always joke with my grandparents, that it needed to be written into the will for me.

(On a side note, we had the Model A running about 2 years ago, and I had the awesome opportunity to work on it with my great grandpa, grandpa, and dad.)

So, this June, I was opening presents during a family party for my high school graduation, and I came to my grandparents present. It was an envelope, and i was expecting cash and a card. I was dead wrong. The envelope had the title to the Model A. It was mine. After all the family joking, it really was mine, this came from approval from my great grandpa too of course, and he couldn't have been happier. (Yep, he's 95 and still as strong as an ox . . . a little slower ox though)

My dad and I finally had a weekend to ourselves, so we went up to the cabin and hauled the Model A back down to my grandpa's shop and started working on it. (this time, it's the other grandparents. Mom's side gave it to me, dad's side is working with me)

Now this really has become a bit of a family affair. We've tightened the steering, fixed the horn, cleaned out the gas tank, and she's purring like a four cylinder.

Tonight I had the opportunity to drive my baby, we finally got it in road worthy condition and it was an absolute blast. We had myself and dad in the cab, and Grandma and Grandpa in the rumble seat. It was a good thing we were on old country roads, because I still need to work on my double clutch downshifting. Pretty tricky.

We're going to bring it back in town this next Saturday for my first car show, and I couldn't be more excited. I'm like a kid in a candy shop right now. Don't worry, I'll get some pics up, but not tonight.

Well folks, that's my Ford story. I may still love Mopar, but there's a soft spot for my baby. I named her Charlotte. Seemed like an older name, but still very classy even in today's world. Just like the car itself.
tdub2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
Fred K-OR

Default Re: Best Present Ever

Have fun with your new "toy". Welcome.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
a sedan

Great story. Welcome to model a land... Great history there...
a sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
juke joint johnny

Good luck with it & welcome !!! Looking forward to the pictures

John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:47 AM   #5
green30coupe

tdub,
Congratulations on your graduation and the acquisition of your 28 Sport Coupe! Both very exciting events in your life! Maintain your baby with the same love that brought it to you and plan to pass it on to your great grandchild. Best wishes and welcome to the "A" world!

Ed
green30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
400A-64

Thumbs up Re: Best Present Ever

The more you drive it ...the more you will like it!!! It's called ADICITION and there is nothing you can do about it!!! Listen to the wisdom of your Grand parents... It is your best source of great information.
Bruce Davis [email protected]
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Brobrian

Glad to see your great grandfather's A is keeping the family together as they keep the car together. Our family has the same kind of thing going. Very cool.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
Not George

[QUOTE=green30coupe;473086]tdub,
Congratulations on your graduation and the acquisition of your 28 Sport Coupe! Both very exciting events in your life! Maintain your baby with the same love that brought it to you and plan to pass it on to your great grandchild. Best wishes and welcome to the "A" world!

I couldn't agree more!
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
30Ford

I'am a die hard Mopar...I've had a muscle car for 37 years now...but got a 30 coupe and have had a blast rebuilding her
30Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
w.michael

My parents gave me a 1930 Tudor when I was 13, and the next year my grandparents gave a better Sport Coupe. I still have both of these cars after 48 years, although neither is running right now. My grandparents soon bought another coupe for themselves, a 1931 standard coupe. We drove many thousands of miles in those two coupes. The '31 later became my father's car, and he and mother continued to drive it many happy miles. I recently inherited the '31, and it is now my "go car." I also have the remains of my mother's 1931 Deluxe Roadster which she drove as a teenager in the early 1940's. It was later cut up into a truck, and not much of the body remains, but I hope to resurrect it as a truck some day. Model A's are fantastic, and Model A's with family history are even more exciting. You are very fortunate to have a Sport Coupe (which everyone knows is the very best body style produced!) with a four generation family history. Ask Great Grandpa everything he can remember about the origin of the car, and WRITE IT DOWN. You will appreciate having all the history of the car someday. Welcome to the best car hobby in the world.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
tdub2112

http://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg514/tdub2112/
Here's the link to some of the pictures. The first pic is when we brought it back from the cabin (note the mopar The second picture has my nephew, me, dad, grandpa and great grandpa (Yes, that's five generations) The third picture is my dad, grandpa, and great grandpa working in the cabin garage and getting her running.

On another note, why exactly is the Sport Coupe the best body style produced? I'm new to the whole gig, so you guys are going to give me plenty of lessons.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdub2112 View Post
http://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg514/tdub2112/
Here's the link to some of the pictures. The first pic is when we brought it back from the cabin (note the mopar The second picture has my nephew, me, dad, grandpa and great grandpa (Yes, that's five generations) The third picture is my dad, grandpa, and great grandpa working in the cabin garage and getting her running.

On another note, why exactly is the Sport Coupe the best body style produced? I'm new to the whole gig, so you guys are going to give me plenty of lessons.
While the Sport Coupe is very good looking, I think the oval window business coupe for 1929 is my favorite.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

WELCOME!!! An envelope full of cash could not have be better than that A.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
dennisonk1957

A photo of all that provided...title, help, love and Charlotte of course would be fun to see...maybe in Sepia tone...best to you...got my first A from my father in law...he passed but it is being passed down as it will to my kids now ages five and eight. Papas car will live on in the family. I loved the line a bout the four cylinder purring! Join a Model A club too...great people with helping hands and even better stories.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
tdub2112

There's an Early Iron club in my area, but nothing Model A, or even Ford specific. Not even one in all of Idaho. I'll have to see if i can find anyone else in the Early Iron Club when I put Charlotte in the car show on Saturday.

I'm taking the Corvette out to my grandparents and bringing in the Model A tonight, I'll see if I can get some better pictures when I get her all cleaned up. Anyone have any cleaning secrets to keep her in top shape or should I just treat her like any detailing?
Old 08-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #16
tdub2112

Well, Charlotte's (and my) first car show is tomorrow morning. I just got home from my cabin to find my air filter, axle shims, and side view mirror on the doorstep, so I hurried and put the filter and mirror on, so she's ready to go.

On a similar note, the mirror I ordered had a metric nut on it. What's with that? Is Snyder's getting their parts from China? It kind of peeved me. I have a home grown American car (actually, it spent it's life in Canada before it came into my great grandpa's hands) and I have to put Chinese made reproduction parts on the thing.

Done with my little mini-vent.

Night Ya'll, I got a car show to be to in the morning.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #17
dr.j

Start a diary and record both the good and the bad. Include pictures of events and stories of people met and their tales. I have 82 pages in a MSWord document from August 2007 and it reads like a story book. Your original post is a great start.
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #18
gunmetal blue

Send a message via Yahoo to gunmetal blue

Welcome to the Ford family, were here to help and learn things. You may not know use personally but were all your friends. Ive been a model A fan all my life. Now i own a 1929 AA pickup. I rent a room from a friend and he has a retoration shop and builds high performance engines. restories muscle cars. he love helping with it and can't wate to be able to drive it.
gunmetal blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #19
tdub2112

The car show was a big success today.

http://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSC_4288.jpg
Took home the Best Antique award. There wasn't much competition though. I was the oldest car there, and I had the only Model A that wasn't stuff full of a V8 and covered in satin black krylon. (Not that I'm not into rat rods, because I really do love them, but they aren't "antiques")

http://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSC_4264.jpg
Grandpa Woolstenhulme came by and got to hang out with dad and I for a while.

Overall, it was a great first show for Charlotte and I both. I had plenty of people come by (most of them were about as old as the car itself) but it was fun hearing their stories. I had a few families come by and decided to let their kids hop in the rumble seat for a picture. Most of the guys in the show wouldn't let you get near their cars.

Needless to say, I'm driving her to church tomorrow, just for kicks and giggles.