Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #41
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Default Re: Mitchell Overdrive etc

This post is way way over the top already....End it RYAN!!!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #42
Chris in WNC

CarlG- I love the mushers logo!

MikeK- glad to see you've got the business plan all squared away for when you start building & selling overdrives......
Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #43
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
This post is way way over the top already....End it RYAN!!!
I second that. After all, according to Ryan this site is about restoration. Neither of Mitchell's products fit that category. Original A's had neither. They are both straight modification. Probably better suited to the H.A.M.B.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #44
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
I guess the Mitchells will just have to tough it out without the business of MikeK and M2M. my suspicion is that they are not too worried.
Chris, I don't know how you came to that conclusion. I never said I would not buy a Mitchell product, and I believe either did MikeK.

I've never heard or read anything but praise about Mitchell products.

My point was, to have a business in 2013 selling items that cost from $1000 to $2000+ and not to have a basic website with information and contact details is unexceptable and reflects badly on them. They should do themselves and potential customers a favour by putting together a basic website.

Last edited by M2M; 02-02-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: spelling
M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #45
ivoryjohn

• Aloof and Sanctimonious .........Now I get the meaning in context!
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #46
CarlG

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I second that. After all, according to Ryan this site is about restoration. Neither of Mitchell's products fit that category. Original A's had neither. They are both straight modification. Probably better suited to the H.A.M.B.
So, I guess that the 75-90% of us here don't belong?
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #47
spdway1

Lightbulb Re: Mitchell Overdrive etc

OK, OK we get it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deadend-20100301-164157.jpg (75.1 KB, 3 views)
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #48
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Boy this drifted. We can take any of the points brought out here and draw them out to being just plain stupid. When I talked about expansion I was thinking more along the lines of hiring a couple of more people to speed up production. It was my thought that if more product leaves the "plant" the more raw materials can be purchased and as a result the price of the materials would drop off setting the salary the new employees and more profit per unit can be made and more unit out the door. I still beleive that the back log of obtaining the finished units is sales lost to them but is good news for the guys restoring and making kits for the Borg Warner and Volvo units that we also see in Model A's. I did not mean to come across that I thought the Mitchells were poor business people or that they did not know what they were doing. I just having a conversation with you all about things.

If someone really want the thread to be closed then hit the report button under the information about us, state the reason you feel the thread should be closed and see if Ryan closes it. I feel this is one of the tamer threads and is closer to the purpose of the forum then one or two others that are still active. After all this started with the concern that incorrect information was being spread about a vendor and not on the merits or need of a OD.

Steping off soap box and going back to work.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #49
Glenn C.

I have dealt with Mitchell for two of my Model A's which now have both synchromesh transmissions and overdrive units. Getting ready to order a third package for another car. I also have sold parts to Mitchell from my stock, and I can tell you in a court of law, the parts were originally made in the USA. Where do some people come up with these crazy, uneducated comments. Spend $10 and take a trip down there and find out for yourself.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #50
Brentwood Bob

good people, good product, good service, good attitude, USA made.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #51
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C. View Post
I have dealt with Mitchell for two of my Model A's which now have both synchromesh transmissions and overdrive units. Getting ready to order a third package for another car. I also have sold parts to Mitchell from my stock, and I can tell you in a court of law, the parts were originally made in the USA. Where do some people come up with these crazy, uneducated comments. Spend $10 and take a trip down there and find out for yourself.
They come up with them from unclear miscommunication using only a telephone as the information source. If you can get to California from Alberta for $10, either the value of the Canadian dollar has gone way up or I just live by the wrong airport.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #52
Bob Johnson

Why would anyone want a web site to promote their products. Web sites are not the current mode of marketing. Forget web sites and set up a Facebook page, get a Twitter account and make some smart phone apps.

Technology is changing so fast these days which makes it hard for many to keep up. The target audience for Model A stuff is mainly people over 50. People over 50 are the group least likely to get their information through digital media. I thing "word of mouth" is the most effective form of marketing for the Model A crowd.

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #53
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

why cant everyone leave it alone already...my gosh..enough with this thread, how about a conversation about RESTORATION and leave another ones business to their own...this site is getting way out of line with simple questions.. END IT RYAN...END THIS POST!!!!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #54
BILL WILLIAMSON

Mike V,
It's called "LOOSE LIPPED GOSSIP"! Those kind of folks always spread far out, strange, unbelievable things in order to see folks jaws drop out of socket!! Like, "You won't believe what that oooold lady down the street did to her POOR ooooold husband-----------------?? Bill W.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #55
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
... "You won't believe what that oooold lady down the street did to her POOR ooooold husband-----------------??
Whose been talking about me again?? Just kidding!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #56
ivoryjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Carl, reminds me, I met a car gal named Patti on the street behind me, her deceased husband left her a really FINE black '37 coupe, show quality, with a 327, auto, 5:50's & 8:20's on old Centerlines. Awhile back she stuck it on a speed bump, with all 4 wheels not touching anything. Only had to pound out the trans pan!
I sometimes inadvertantly call her Peppermint Patti, don't got the nerve to tell her that's Purdy Swoft's dog's name---------------Bill W.
Really guys? Peppermint Patti made a post turtle out of her dead husband's 37 coupe......this has to do with Mitchell Overdrives and Model A restoration how?

Who are we hurting being so off the track and silly discussing trivia not related to the original post? I say no one.

The Forum isn't a party line where everyone can listen in but no one can make a call until the line is clear. We can all listen in and get a word in edge wise even if it is to explain what a post turtle is, but I dare not.....somebody would demand I get off the line because I am discussing politics with said explanation.

This post has explored the original topic and now the guys are playing and joking around. If you don't like runaway topics and this one has the bit in her teeth, use your God given right to use you finger to change posts. I think some of these topics are hilarious! Purdy Swoft.....who comes up with this stuff?
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #57
Glenn C.

One of the problems that Mitchell have is the availability of the very basic components for the transmission. Namely the case in serviceable condition, both the front and rear bearing retainers, also the shift tower. Many people quite often decide to keep their transmission, and pay for the core charge, rather than taking the time to dismantle and ship the core components in for credit. This causes a delay until the case components can be acquired from other sources such as swap meets and used part dealers. As an example the shifter tower for a right hand drive is as scarce as hens teeth. Many people from Australia and New Zealand, do not return their cores due to the high cost of shipping.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #58
Mike V. Florida

If you really want to see the thread closed I gave instructions on how to request an end to his thread, anyone really do it?

Where is the call the end the thread on the master cylinder or the thread on the traditional hot rod!!

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 02-04-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #59
jerry shook

Look"s like the thread police is at it again. Lol!!!!!
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #60
Mike V. Florida