Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
FlatAddict

Default 1946 Ford Transmission

I just picked up this 3 spd from a 46' Sedan and I was wondering if there is a popular floor shift coversion that has been used? Also, how do you set it to neutral on the bench? I think the shift arms are froze in the cover even though they are shiny and oiled up. Am I missing something?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46_Trans.jpg (34.7 KB, 150 views)
FlatAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Marv

Smile Re: 1946 Ford Transmission

For one thing the transmission is locked in 2 gears now. It is in 2nd gear and reverse. If the shifter is set this way you will have to remove the shift lever and move the forks to line up your shifter. Someone else may be able to explain better. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
Marv

Smile Re: 1946 Ford Transmission

Sorry i forgot the answer. You will need to move the rear gear which is in reverse ahead about a inch. The front is in second gear and needs moved ahead 1 click which will center it and you will be able to hold the rear shaft and turn the front one. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
t-moss1

Wink Re: 1946 Ford Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by flataddict View Post
i just picked up this 3 spd from a 46' sedan and i was wondering if there is a popular floor shift coversion that has been used? Also, how do you set it to neutral on the bench? I think the shift arms are froze in the cover even though they are shiny and oiled up. Am i missing something?
when i was a kid, i had a 47 ford, i wanted a floor shift so went to salvage yard, bought a empty floor case, trandsfered the gears, found a top and no more trouble. I didnt add anything either.
t-moss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
FlatAddict

Default Re: 1946 Ford Transmission

Thanks for the info so far, but when I take the side cover off the arms on the outside still don't move.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
Mac VP

For either shifter lever to move, at least one must be in its "neutral" position (which is the mid point detent for either lever). The interlock plunger inside the cover prevents one lever from moving unless the other is in neutral.

If you have both levers centered in their neutral positions, and neither one will rotate, either the shafts are frozen/rusted or something has somehow jammed in the detent interlock part inside the cover. I guess this could occur if one or both of the detent balls (3/8" dia) have popped out.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
FlatAddict

Are the detent balls rougly the size of a ball bearing? When I opened the cover there was a tiny spring laying in there, someone could have messed with it.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
rotorwrench

The original Hurst 3-speed shifter mechanism was designed after more than one young hot rodder designed there own floor shift mechanism to operate the side shift transmissions. I remember seeing these in an old early 50s Hot Rod magazine. It seems like there was an article in one of the Popular Mechanics magazines too. The three speed types evolved into the 4-speed shifter after they went into production.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #9
FlatAddict

So, I figured it out, got her into neutral and got the arms to move. They were a little seized up but a little persuasion loosened them up. I have a early Hurst shifter I am going to try out for the floor shift.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
alanwoodieman

spring about 3/4" long and small ball are the pieces for a blocker syncronizer-3 of each of them-by the picture I beleive yours are missing. See the holes in the hub that holds the second/third shift collar. Should also be 3-short "blockers" that go there also
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #11
FlatAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
spring about 3/4" long and small ball are the pieces for a blocker syncronizer-3 of each of them-by the picture I beleive yours are missing. See the holes in the hub that holds the second/third shift collar. Should also be 3-short "blockers" that go there also
So I took a closer look and they are all gone. Previous owner must have had it apart and "forgot" to put them back. I see Vanpelts has them, I am curious what the function of them is? Enlighten me
Old 02-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #12
alanwoodieman

the blockers hold the syncro rings for both second and high, springs and balls present a type of lock to hold the blockers and to provide a grip on the shift coller. The blockers hold the syncro rings to bring the gears into sort of a speed alignment as you operate the shifter- the rings on the syncro's ( on inside) trap doping and this doping acts as a liquid clutch to allow the shift coller to come to speed with the gear being engaged-hope this is not too confusing and I am sure someone will provide further information
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
Henry/Kokomo

I located a Hurst floorshift for the early Ford transmission WITH the proper brackets and linkage. They're not plentiful but they're out there. FYI - Hurst has a service whereby they'll rebuild the shifter to "as new" specs. Check their website. Good luck.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #14
FlatAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry/Kokomo View Post
I located a Hurst floorshift for the early Ford transmission WITH the proper brackets and linkage. They're not plentiful but they're out there. FYI - Hurst has a service whereby they'll rebuild the shifter to "as new" specs. Check their website. Good luck.
Just curious where you found the shifter?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #15
Redhorse1947

Flataddict...if you want the BEST guide on flathead transmissions contact Mac VanPelt, Cincinnati, 800-299-7496. He has compiled a fantastic booklet that will provide you with all the information you will ever need. A few dollars WELL SPENT.

He is a contributor on the Fordbarn and his post is part of this thread.
Redhorse1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #16
cmbrucew

You may not know about transmissions now, but you will when you have finished yours. The learning process is half the fun.

works good
lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #17
38 coupe

Two things worth mentioning. The 37-39 case and 40-52 pickup case already is a top shifter. Also, if you really have a 46 V8 transmission you have the lowest gears put into an early Ford car or light pickup transmission.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #18
Vanspeed

Agree with 38 coupe, you have a nice gear set there, find a top loader case from a early v-8 and transplant the gears into the top loader case. I have used cases all the way down to 35's and they will handle it. My current trans in my model a is a 48 gear set in a 38 case, I love it.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #19
FlatAddict

I think I would need a book or a video on how to transplant gear sets! I know nothing about transmissions.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #20
cmbrucew

You are not fully initated into the old Ford fraternity until you can remove, rebuild and install a transmission in the dark on a gravel road by yourself!! GRIN GRIN

I have gotten out of school, changed syncronizers, and made it to work on time.
White shirt and tie.
works good
lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote