Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Cecil-Indiana

Default Ever swapped a 49 Merc crank into a 50 Merc and find it had more stroke?

Gentlemen I've got a mystery here. I rebuilt my 50 Merc engine and found it had a bad rear main leak. When I took it back down I found the rear seal dia. was scored bad. I have a nice 49 engine so I swapped the cranks and the pistons were hitting the Offy head. I think I've just now solved the problem by using 2 head gaskets. Both cranks were dusted .010. Anyone ever run into this situation? Keep in mind all I did was swapped cranks and then I had a bad knock which turned out to be the domed piston hitting the head.
Cecil-Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Barlea

Default Re: Ever swapped a 49 Merc crank into a 50 Merc and find it had more stroke?

Maybe crank number one was a Ford and now you have Ford pistons on a Merc crank? ..B.
Barlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
George/Maine

Default Re: Ever swapped a 49 Merc crank into a 50 Merc and find it had more stroke?

You are only talking about .010 not 1/4 inch right.
When the crank was ground the stroke must have been on plus side.Thats how they get more out of a stock crank.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
Barlea

.010 more stroke wouldn't normally cause contact unless clearance was pretty tight with crank number one, right? 1/4" more stroke is 1/8" more into the head. Not even all the pistons would hit on Merc heads, I'm thinking, but I could be confused. ..B.
Barlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
waldo

I can vouch for the fact that 4" stroke with Ford pistons will just kiss 8CM heads. I bought a swap meet engine, just out of the machine shop, and it was assembled as above. It had a wicked exhaust rap and lots of comp. Turning over with a wrench, it would lock up after half a revolution. Two Best gaskets with copper spray gave me a .055 clearance and a super running engine. Domed pistons with, now, Offy heads. I had to put .060 spacers under the plugs to keep the gap from closing up at high rpm. I ran this one in my H.A.M.B. HA/GR dragster last year and it held up fine. Going to run an old Bonneville engine this year.
waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
Ol' Ron

This lowers the CR drastically. Why not have the heads redomed or get a new set of heads.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
waldo

The .055 piston to head clearance gives good comp. The intake valves were closing the plug gap.
waldo is offline   Reply With Quote