Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Hardtail75

Default Seeking advice for my 1928 Sport Coupe

Good evening everyone. I would like to introduce myself, my name is Jon and I just acquired a 1928 Sport Coupe. I am just learning to restore vehicles and this is my newest project.

Here is a picture of my car.

Everything is in pretty good shape considering the age of it. I have put together a list of parts that I would like to purchase this following week. My plans with this car is to restore it original. It does not have a motor or transmission but I have a running donor motor and transmission.

My question to you guys is this, are there any online merchants in particular that you would recommend? I have read the sticky and checked out a few of them, Snyders, Macs and Howell's in particular.

At this point I am interested in acquiring these parts:

Front leaf spring and U-bolt
Door hinges, pins and latches
Window winders
Front/rear fender, running board, gas tank, shroud and rear window pan bolts
Trunk handle with latch
Sub rails
Seat bracket
Floor pan

I am from Canada if that makes any difference in your advice. I wanted to ask you guys first before I make any considerable purchases. Are some companies known for this or that? To me it looks like Snyders you have to purchase the subrails individually, but I am not too sure.

Thanks to anyone who can chime in on this thread. Glad to be a part of this community. I will keep you all updated as this car gets some life in her.

Last edited by Hardtail75; 07-27-2014 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Typos
Hardtail75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
dean from bozeman

Default Re: Seeking advice for my 1928 Sport Coupe Cabriolet

Howdy Jon,

Your car is a '28 or '29 Sport Coupe. A Cabriolet is a convertible with roll down windows. A Sport Coupe's top does not go down.

Does 'located out of Canada' mean that you do live in Canada?

Personally I like Bratton's for some small parts. I like Bert's in Denver (www.modelastore.com) for everything else.

Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
Mike Peters

Jon: In addition to what Dean wrote, This would be a good car to learn to do body work on. Reproduction sheet metal, especially front fenders does not fit well and needs to be reworked anyway. After you pull the body off the frame, cut the rotted areas off those front quarter panels back to good metal and make patches to weld in. Very time consuming, but rewarding. Gas or wire feed weld. you choose. One piece you may be missing is the belt rail that goes from the door latches around the back of the top. No one makes repros of those that I know of. Hydum welt can be used in a pinch. What you have is very restoreable, and will give you many hours of fulfilling work.
Have fun
mike
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

But the body should be mounted on the frame and doors etc lined up before any panels, sub rails etc are welded in.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
Hardtail75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
Howdy Jon,

Your car is a '28 or '29 Sport Coupe. A Cabriolet is a convertible with roll down windows. A Sport Coupe's top does not go down.

Does 'located out of Canada' mean that you do live in Canada?

Personally I like Bratton's for some small parts. I like Bert's in Denver (www.modelastore.com) for everything else.

Dean
Dean, thank you. I did not know the difference! Yes that was a typo on my part I am from Canada. Thanks for the link I will check that out right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters;
Jon: In addition to what Dean wrote, This would be a good car to learn to do body work on. Reproduction sheet metal, especially front fenders does not fit well and needs to be reworked anyway. After you pull the body off the frame, cut the rotted areas off those front quarter panels back to good metal and make patches to weld in. Very time consuming, but rewarding. Gas or wire feed weld. you choose. One piece you may be missing is the belt rail that goes from the door latches around the back of the top. No one makes repros of those that I know of. Hydum welt can be used in a pinch. What you have is very restoreable, and will give you many hours of fulfilling work.
Have fun
mike
Mike, the metal fabrication is what I wanted to do from the start but was advised to order the reproduction sheet metal. I really do enjoy fabrication from working on my other car and motorcycle. This is good to know so I do not go and spend money on a whole lot of reproduction metals. I have a new Miller welder to pick up tomorrow.

I will get more detailed photos as soon as I can start working on it. The frame rails I think are possible to rebuild but was again told to purchase new ones.

I have a new paint stripper arriving this week. Can't wait to strip this car. I'm hoping to have it all stripped and primed by the weekend, then I can start the metal work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin/TN
But the body should be mounted on the frame and doors etc lined up before any panels, sub rails etc are welded in.
Oh really? It is not best practice to do the panel work with the body off the frame? I'm guessing the metal will not line up correctly if I do it like that?

So I should strip the rust, dismantle, prime, assemble, and then fabricate?

Thanks guys!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #6
bart78

Default Re: Seeking advice for my 1928 Sport Coupe

I would think there would be plenty of original fenders out there. For all the people that take them off. Buy a bead roller and make your own floor pans. They are pretty simple.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
Hardtail75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart78 View Post
I would think there would be plenty of original fenders out there. For all the people that take them off. Buy a bead roller and make your own floor pans. They are pretty simple.
The fenders on my car appear to be in good shape. The "trim" on the outside of them is all in tact except for one spot on each front fender. Again once I take more pictures tomorrow you guys will be able to see a lot more.

I have never used a bead roller so I will have to do some research. I've just taught myself to MIG weld over the last year and use a grinder to work on my Grande Parisienne and Harley-Davidson. I purchased a metal fabrication workbook to learn how to use the more advanced tools.

Thanks Bart!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #8
Roadster62

Welcome to The Ford Barn, nice project you have there. It is very easy to get started on a restoration and find out your time AND money is going in six or more directions. Personally I'd start on the body, buy whatever you need for sub rails and start there. Build a frame table so you have a level and square surface to build the body on and start there. A finished body in primer is a major step in a restoration and makes finishing the other things less of a challenge. Bob
Old 07-27-2014, 11:36 PM   #9
ian Simpson

If you are in Canada consider using a Canadian source for your parts. I use George Moir in Stoney Plain, Alberta. Website is http://georgemoir.ca/contact-us/
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:47 PM   #10
Bruskie

Make sure your frame rails are straight before anything else
Bruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:26 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Do you have a title for it?

I don't know about Canada, but in the states you'd want to get a title before the work starts, in case it needs to be bonded, the value would be much less, and save you money on a bond.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:48 AM   #12
Hardtail75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
If you are in Canada consider using a Canadian source for your parts. I use George Moir in Stoney Plain, Alberta. Website is http://georgemoir.ca/contact-us/
Thanks I will definitely check that out.

I guess I will strip all the rust before disassembling the body off the frame.

Yes I have an ownership the title is clear.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:25 AM   #13
Cockshutt Kid

I suggest that the first thing you do is join a Model A club in your own area. Unfortunately a lot of these cars are being hot rodded and unwanted parts are readily available and usually cheap. For example, there is a complete 29 frame and running gear close to me. It would be convenient to restore it and move your body parts over as you do them. Club members are usually aware of all this stuff and would rather see them used on an original car than scrapped. Many also have quite a stash of parts and are knowledgeable and willing to help. Good luck and have fun. Jim.
Cockshutt Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #14
Rowdy
BANNED

Actually yours is a Business Coupe. A Sports Coupe would have a rumble seat, not a trunk. I would steer clear of the repop window regulators and also look for a restored trunk lid handle. I buy most of my parts from Bert's in Denver or Brattons. I have no clue how things would be shipping to Canada, but feel both of them would do their best on the shipping cost. Rod
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #15
foxfire42

I thought a Business Coupe had the oval window and the top bow would be in the way. I still vote for a Sport Coupe.

Last edited by foxfire42; 07-28-2014 at 11:19 AM.
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire42 View Post
I thought a Business Coupe had the oval window and the top bow would be in the way. I still vote for a Sport Coupe.
That was my thoughts also. I better look in the book to double check.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #17
Rowdy
BANNED

Not all of them had oval windows. I would have to look at the JS to see when they used them. Rod
Old 07-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #18
d.j. moordigian

Barb and Tom,

In 1928, the Business Coupe had no quarter "oval" windows. I'm not
smart enough to know how Rod figured out the difference..Sport Coupe
vs. Business Coupe..
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #19
Rowdy
BANNED

Sports Coupe's had rumble seats, Business Coupe's had trunks. It is in the JS. If I have time before I go to work today I will see if I can find that info. I read it thuroughly when I brought home the June of 28 Business coupe body several years ago. I wish I would not have sold it. I am piecing together another one,although abit later it is in about the same condition other than the right quarter panel that is torn in half and the rotted of tops of the cowl posts. Rod
Old 07-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #20
brito36

The 1928 business coupe did not have the oval windows. The addition of the windows were in the 1929 business coupe.
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote