Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
Scuba Steve

Default Newbie Interested In A Model A

Hey everyone Steve here and I'm looking for a Model A 4 door. I'm a younger guy who has been looking for a while now. I bought a '70 Chevelle project recently that's finished and it's time to get another car. That being said, I'm not looking for another project. I want to drive the car home. Not trying to find a show quality car, just a nice driver. I've been reading these forums lately and have learned a bit. I check Craigslist, eBay, here, etc. daily for cars but it's much harder than my Chevelle search. I don't mind waiting for the right car. Before the Chevelle I knew very little of working on cars. Are any of you local to me (San Jose, CA) that know of clubs or events with Model As? I'd like to learn about them before buying one and would love to see one up close. I went to a local car show recently but there was only one Model A and the owner wasn't around. I know my post is pretty vague and I appreciate any help. Thanks, gentlemen.
Scuba Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
pat in Santa Cruz

Default Re: Newbie Interested In A Model A

the Santa Clara valley Chapter of MAFCA meets every first Tuesday of the month at Harry's Hofbrau on Saratoga Ave.

http://www.scvcma.org/

The meeting officially starts at 7:30, but in reality social hour starts about 5:30-6. We are a large club, with lots of helpful members and cars do come up for sale.

You are right to wait a bit. Look at a lot of cars, ask questions. Eventually you will get a good idea of what you want and will be able to recognize it when it comes along. Don't forget, these are 80 year old used cars. An informed buyer will get a better car than a compulsive buyer.

this saturday we are having a seminar at a members home called " let me drive your A" which is what it sounds like. Its out in the East foothills above by Reid Hillview. If you're interested, PM me

Last edited by pat in Santa Cruz; 07-18-2012 at 11:41 PM.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
Scuba Steve

Thanks for the info, Pat. I sent you a PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
Huckster Dave

Few years back there were several A's from the Santa Clara club at a museum in Polson, Montana. The one that sticks out in my mind was a yellow phaeton. I stopped and talked to one of the fellows and told him I was interested in buying an A. We talked for a few minutes and the gentleman recommended that I look for a slant 4 door. This conversation led to my first model A. 1931 standard fordor.
Huckster Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Scuba Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckster Dave View Post
Few years back there were several A's from the Santa Clara club at a museum in Polson, Montana. The one that sticks out in my mind was a yellow phaeton. I stopped and talked to one of the fellows and told him I was interested in buying an A. We talked for a few minutes and the gentleman recommended that I look for a slant 4 door. This conversation led to my first model A. 1931 standard fordor.
Thanks for the post, Dave. That's definitely a car I would love to own. I'm still researching Model As but the '31 Standard Fordor is beautiful.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
Fred K-OR

Steve, here is one that got away. It was on EBay awhile back. So they do come up once in awhile.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1423.l2649
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckster Dave View Post
Few years back there were several A's from the Santa Clara club at a museum in Polson, Montana. The one that sticks out in my mind was a yellow phaeton. .
that phaeton is Charlotte. Once a police car in Mexico, shes traveled all over the US, most recently to Michigan for the National. Unfortunately, she broke a crank about 60 miles from Detroit. But that won't stop her for long.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
tierod

Talking Re: Newbie Interested In A Model A

Have you tried Hemmings Motor News or Old Cars Weekly?
tierod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
SHEC

Welcome "Newbie"

Today, 7/20/12. You should check the SF Bay Area Craigslist heading for Model A's. There is a 1931 Model A Roadster located for sale up in LODI ca. Asking either $12,500 or $13,500 with several pictures to boot.

If someone doesn't look at this beauty and (going by the photos for now), buy it - then something is wrong. Looks like an inherited type of A, with no one to move it along in the family ............... Come to think of it, I should go and look at it.

Just a thought.

Have fun - and welcome!

SHEC
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Scuba Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Steve, here is one that got away. It was on EBay awhile back. So they do come up once in awhile.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1423.l2649
Thanks for the info, Fred. I am not interested in traveling or shipping a vehicle but it is nice to know they do exist, as you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tierod View Post
Have you tried Hemmings Motor News or Old Cars Weekly?
I check those places every now and then but find hot rods tend to fill their pages than original cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEC View Post
Welcome "Newbie"

Today, 7/20/12. You should check the SF Bay Area Craigslist heading for Model A's. There is a 1931 Model A Roadster located for sale up in LODI ca. Asking either $12,500 or $13,500 with several pictures to boot.

If someone doesn't look at this beauty and (going by the photos for now), buy it - then something is wrong. Looks like an inherited type of A, with no one to move it along in the family ............... Come to think of it, I should go and look at it.

Just a thought.

Have fun - and welcome!

SHEC
Thanks for the info, Shec. It looks like a beautiful car but I'm really set on a 4 door. I hope it's solid if you check it out!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
Arlen

Www.hemmings.com will have close to 200 A's for sale. Much better than Craigslist or eBay. Even www.mafca.com normally has a pretty good selection.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Where are you located?
Old 07-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #13
Scuba Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
Www.hemmings.com will have close to 200 A's for sale. Much better than Craigslist or eBay. Even www.mafca.com normally has a pretty good selection.
Hemmings has several, but few close to me, that's the only issue. MAFCA was great and I sent out several e-mails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Where are you located?
San Jose, CA.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #14
Scuba Steve

Thanks again for the invitation, Pat. I learned a lot yesterday and appreciate all the help you gave.

I drove a few Model As for the first time and it was a lot of fun. I learned a lot and am thankful everyone was so helpful. After driving different Model As I am still set on a four door and the Slant Windows seem to be my best bet.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
Dodge

I have a 1929 Murray bodied 4 door sedan in San Rafael Ca. area.

Dodge
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote