Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2024, 03:05 PM   #1
PGBuick

Default 36 five window interior panels

I have the original interior panels from my 36 coupe (or very old reproductions), which are like a heavy cardboard material (not corrugated), black or natural color on the backside and maroon/red on the visible side. Mine are broken and in poor condition. Searching online has produced no information for anyone reproducing these. Does anyone know if these are repo'd? Alternatively, has anyone made new ones with a currently available material, and if so, what material did you use? I was thinking a 1/8" thick Masonite might work, or some type of flexible plastic, one brand being Kydex.
Thanks!
Pat
PGBuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 03:15 PM   #2
Bruce_MO

Default Re: 36 five window interior panels

Google “upholstery panel board” and you’ll find what many people use. It’s waterproof and about $15 for a 32” x 48” sheet. I think it’ll be easier to to shape and cut than Masonite, and it’s a much closer duplicate to original panels. I always back it up with plastic sheet that I glue to the backside, because I’ve had issues with it warping slightly when water gets into the door.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 07:01 PM   #3
325w

The upholstery panel board are easy to cut with big metal shears. Scissors will kill your hands. Its water resistant. Not water proof. Clean the cut side with a small disc sander they make good door panels.
325w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 08:22 PM   #4
rich b

I like ABS panels; cost a little more; but easy to cut and fit. They will also never deteriorate on you.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 11:29 AM   #5
johndee138

When I did my 36 interior, I got a roll of tracing paper, and used double stick tape to attach it to the door. I was able to locate all the attachment holes, and outline the perimeter perfectly. ABS sheet for the backing (waterproof,so no shrink or swell)
johndee138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 07:46 PM   #6
325w

I use the ads for my doors for sure.
325w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 07:19 PM   #7
Detonator

I used clear heavy plastic over the door and a Sharpie to outline the size and locate all the mounting and window crank holes, tabs etc. I then transferred that to thin Luan plywood (make sure the grain runs horizontally). The mounting clips are available and cheap. I had already carefully pulled the original mohair(?) fabric off the wavy, funky OG cardboard panels, so I just remounted it to the Luan. They came out great.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:24 PM   #8
nvtinman

I found board at a place called mill end fabrics in reno nevada a few years back. I found two sizes 60 x 40 and 48 x 30. The smaller is black on both sides the larger is brown on one side. The smaller black looks almost identical to my 40 ford door panel board. I understand you are not in the same area but my point is mill end fabrics has a huge selection of all kinds of fabrics and accessories. I purchased a partial roll of fabric for the 40 that looks a lot like Bedford cord.
I have also googled the board and seen it. Not terribly expensive but shipping is a killer. I'm suggesting you search out some of the surplus fabric stores in your area. You may be surprised by what you can find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240210_161432.jpg (13.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20240210_161427.jpg (14.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 20240210_161453.jpg (13.8 KB, 71 views)
nvtinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 11:14 PM   #9
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtinman View Post
I found board at a place called mill end fabrics in reno nevada a few years back. I found two sizes 60 x 40 and 48 x 30. The smaller is black on both sides the larger is brown on one side. The smaller black looks almost identical to my 40 ford door panel board. I understand you are not in the same area but my point is mill end fabrics has a huge selection of all kinds of fabrics and accessories. I purchased a partial roll of fabric for the 40 that looks a lot like Bedford cord.
I have also googled the board and seen it. Not terribly expensive but shipping is a killer. I'm suggesting you search out some of the surplus fabric stores in your area. You may be surprised by what you can find.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 06:26 AM   #10
ScubaChief60

Hello all... I used this to form the interior door panels in my '35 Fordor.

PLASKOLITE 0.157-in T x 48-in W x 96-in L White Corrugated Plastic Sheet (Local home improvement store carries it).

Very waterproof and I trimmed out the shapes with a box cutter.

For me it worked very well.

Hope this gives you another option.

Take care!
ScubaChief60 is offline   Reply With Quote