Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #1
packrat5
BANNED

Default Ford F-1 brakes

Alright, here's one. #1 son has a 51 pickup that I want to install a dual master cylinder on. He wants to keep the stock brakes, (at least for the time being) and use the original pedals. We are capable of doing serious fabricating, but at this point, do not want to change too much, as the future might have modifications coming, but we don't want to remodify the modifications. Does that make sense? Anyway, anyone have a plan for us?
Also, has anyone had any experience with those Newport electric wiper conversions? Any feedback?
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
cmbrucew

Default Re: Ford F-1 brakes

Pr5
Listen to your #1 son
Bruce
Old 10-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #3
estout81
BANNED

Ditto what Bruce said. I have a '48 F-1 with all new brakes and drums and you couldn't ask for better brakes. Doesn't take a lot of pedal pressure either.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
packrat5
BANNED

Did I confuse you guys? I want to install a dual master cylinder and keep the stock pedals, and appearance. Anyone done this? This isn't a stock truck, but it looks stock. MANY years ago, it was converted to y-block power, and it was not a butch job.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
Karl Wolf

Take a look at 1967 Mustang (drum brake V8 dual) master cylinder, it's got a 2 bolt pattern. I'm still running single, but if I wanted to split the brakes- that would be the part to start with.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #6
quickchange34

To answer your question get yourself a 1967 Mustang Drum Drum Master Cyl, You will have to fab a mount off the frame. Run one brake line to the front and one to the rear. It is a two bolt master cyl.
quickchange34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #7
gearhead1952

You can get a 3 bolt to 2 bolt adapter that will bolt onto the existing pedal assembly. I have the stock brake setup (stock master cylinder) on my 52 pickup and 52 panel. Have built several F1s with the same and see no need to change. Works very well.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:18 PM   #8
alan

I used a drum/drum dual master cylinder for a 68-72 F100, had to fabricate a three bolt pattern to a two bolt pattern master cylinder mount, not really hard to do, just a 3/8" plate with a couple of studs . one thing I would advise is-get one that does not have the factory pedal rod installed--they are a bear to get out of the dual master cylinder. this worked so good on my 1/2 ton that I did the same on a 3/4 ton and on my 1 1/2 ton truck (used a master cylinder for a F250)
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:33 PM   #9
Fordestes

Alan , I was thinking about adding dual master to a 46 1-1/2 ton what did you do about the Hydravac booster? did you eliminate it all together? I have a 1-1/4 bore dual cyl. for an F-250 , was thinking about using the f-250 booster also. what do you suggest?
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:55 PM   #10
41ford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
Alan , I was thinking about adding dual master to a 46 1-1/2 ton what did you do about the Hydravac booster? did you eliminate it all together? I have a 1-1/4 bore dual cyl. for an F-250 , was thinking about using the f-250 booster also. what do you suggest?
I would use the F-250 booster in your application.

On 1/2 ton applications:
Make or buy the adaptor to use a dual MC with the stock brake set up. Measure the diameter of the stock MC. Then find a dual MC of the same diameter. I am using a 1 1/8" MC from a late 60s/early 70s Chevy/GMC C20 in a 40 pickup with a Speedway disk brake kit. No power assist. The stock MC is 1 1/16". This one stops on command.
If the stock brakes are in excellent shape this MC should do the job.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:07 PM   #11
estout81
BANNED

packrat,
Why do you think you need a dual master cylinder?
Old 10-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #12
41ford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by estout81 View Post
packrat,
Why do you think you need a dual master cylinder?
Its basically a FEAR factor. I also have a 53 Courier with completely stock brakes. It also stops on command. If the hydraulic lines are in good shape there is no problem with a single pot set up. Dual MC systems were developed for those owners that don't maintain their vehicles.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #13
estout81
BANNED

41ford1,
AMEN!
Old 10-10-2015, 12:24 AM   #14
Pete

Real race cars don't need 2 master cylinders and can lock the brakes at 140 mph.
Why does an F1 need it?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:52 AM   #15
Ford Freak

I installed a Newport wiper kit in my '52 F1 . It works fine , but I recall it was a #@&% to get the motor mounted up there .
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:03 AM   #16
packrat5
BANNED

The reason for a dual master cylinder is, how are you going to drive the truck? As an occasional putser around town, or a show, or limited use? It's okay, but not safe to use a single master. However, when the truck is running again, my son will be driving it quite a bit, including a round trip to work of about 50 miles, through several towns on the way, etc. As I said for the time being. Once he gets an old brake system in traffic and has to do repeated stops, I am sure we will be installing a full upgrade to front power disc. etc. Messing it up? Well maybe, but driving it is the real reason for having it.
Thanks for the tips on the conversion guys.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #17
alan

I drive the 41 3/4 ton all the time around traffic, I really like the extra "safety" aspect of the dual master cylinder. Not making any change that is not simple to go back to original. My 1 1/2 does not have a booster. let me throw something else, single master cylinder 1" bore or a DUAL master cylinder of a 1" bore--which moves more fluid?
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #18
tanner

Not safe to use single master cylinder??? Come on now, you're trying to fix something that just ain't broke.
Entire brake system on my 49 F1 is stock but has been completely reworked. I'm not the least bit hesitant to drive in stop and go or interstate traffic any time as it performs very well, brakes included. Leave it stock and enjoy it or sell it to someone who will appreciate it for what is.
tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #19
V8 Bob

alan, the displacement of a master cylinder is dependent on the bore and stroke, so a dual master with the same bore and stroke as a single will move the same amount of fluid, just divided between the two pistons.

tanner, and the rest of those who don't believe in a SAFER dual brake system, strange you still think that way considering they have been around since the early '60s, and mandated since '67, because partial braking is obviously (or should be) better than none, when a line, seal or hose fails.

Probably a waste of time trying to convince you otherwise, but really disturbing when you mock those that know, or want something better/safer than an outdated single brake system.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #20
packrat5
BANNED

V8 Bob, you are the man. I am 71 years old, and I have never left anything stock. And I never will. I still like old stuff, the more the better, but I also like traditional rods, and modifications. This truck wasn't stock when we got it, and if would have been, I don't think we would have been interested. At least it is not, (well you know) All I wanted was some input from guys that had converted their brakes for SAFER driving in todays litigious world. If the thing is ever driving again, I would like to send some pics. It's cool as hell, and I don't think anyone would be able to critique it. Stock appearing in and out, vintage tach, NV gauges that look stock, 12 volt, original old patina paint, vintage Y-block power with a three speed full syncro trans, (that is going to be replaced with a T-5) and a few other creature comforts, like eventually A/C (be able to drive in the rain without a second person trying to keep the steam off the windows inside) He quite likely will even use it to haul his horse stuff around in the back. It's a truck, not a trophy wife.