Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2023, 08:33 PM   #1
KR500

Default Head/engine pulling adapter and engine stand adapter

Whats the reason that these two items are not available from any of the Model A parts vendors. Everyone says out of stock.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:19 PM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: Head/engine pulling adapter and engine stand adapter

Can't speak to this particular situation, but as a rule, there are only 1-2 manufacturers for any given part. Usually just one and quite often offshore. All the distributors buy from the same manufacturer. When that company is not currently making the part, or goes out of business, everyone has a stock-out at the same time.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:59 PM   #3
nkaminar

A standard stand can be used by bolting to the coolant inlet on the side of the block. Use grade 5 bolts that bottom out in the threaded holes. Add washers if the bolts are too long. Tack weld the arms so that they do not move. Two advantages: You don't have to buy a special adapter. The pan an be completely bolted on without removing the engine from the stand (not possible with the normal adapter).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine.jpg (162.2 KB, 115 views)
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 12-03-2023 at 11:05 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:03 AM   #4
oldspert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
A standard stand can be used by bolting to the coolant inlet on the side of the block.
Are the two bolts enough to hold up the block? I would be leary of the strength of the block in that area. I have no idea what a complete engine weighs with flywheel and everything.
oldspert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 01:50 AM   #5
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspert View Post
Are the two bolts enough to hold up the block? I would be leary of the strength of the block in that area. I have no idea what a complete engine weighs with flywheel and everything.
I can confirm from personal experience that those two bolts will support an engine plus the flywheel on an engine stand for, at this point, four months and counting. The engine weighs about 400 lbs.

I used a stand adapter designed by TomW. It uses those two bolts to hold the engine up, but it also has two prongs that extend down to the oil pan and brace against it so that the engine isn't putting a twisting force on the bolts. I also used studs instead of bolts, which made it easier to get the engine onto the adapter while the adapter was already mounted on the stand.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 05:13 AM   #6
Bruce of MN

This is my homemade effort. The angles are trimmed a bit and this setup doesn't allow the pan to be bolted on. For that I hang the motor off the engine crane and then support it on the engine stand from the end of the motor. Also, I learned late that it is much easier to bolt the bracket on, then stick the 2" diameter part into the engine stand. If I pull the motor again, I 'll toss my three wheel engine stand and get a four wheel stand for more stability.

Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 07:52 AM   #7
Easy

Have the Stipe combination head puller/engine lift adapter ,works good.
Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:24 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I am only speaking from failing memory here, but didn't Steve Becker purchase AE&R (??) who originally was making some of those tools? If so, maybe a phone call to him?? Also, Bill Stipe (-or maybe it was Tony) was making something similar.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:07 AM   #9
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
If I pull the motor again, I 'll toss my three wheel engine stand and get a four wheel stand for more stability.
I converted my 3 wheel engine stand from a 3 wheel to a 4 wheel by removing the 3rd wheel and replacing it w/a 3 foot piece of channel iron w/swivel wheels on both ends.
Old 12-04-2023, 09:01 PM   #10
Bigsnapper43

I recently had the oppertunity to see a K.R.Wilson rebuild stand. It mounted to the water inlet and pins that went into the oilpan rail. I came home and nutered my main rebuild stand. Other than having to touch up the paint on a rebuild it is my best new tool.
Bigsnapper43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 07:45 AM   #11
Smokedtires

I made my own puller by taking old spark plug, removed porcelain and bolted an eye bolt through it. Worked well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231017_182116.jpg (68.3 KB, 15 views)
Smokedtires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 09:34 AM   #12
Benson

KR500,

Here is what I know.

These adapters and thousands of similar items are made from steel which is cut with Computer controlled automated laser cutters.

Parts are then bent to shape (More machines some are custom made for this one job).

Assembled in stages using various "custom made" jigs to hold them in place before welding.

Then various welds are done to complete the adapters.

I know of one such shop which in 2019 employed 80 workers.

They are now down to 8 workers and 90% of the machines are idle.

After Washington's response to Covid 19 shut down all the companies, the employees went on to other careers and never returned.

I wonder how long the owners can pay the bills and leases on all of these automated machines?

They cannot find qualified workers to run the machines and they do not have the experienced longtime employees to train anyone willing to learn!!

Thinking out loud here: Why were all of the shop classes and Vocational Schools shut down?

More things that "Bean Counters" have done to drive the USA out of the manufacturing business!

Brent,

Yes Steve Becker bought AC&R (Auto Care and Restoration), (as I remember) when they closed.

I think that Steve will comment when he returns from Vacation.
NOTE:
Steve is on vacation but Berts is open for business.

Last edited by Benson; 12-12-2023 at 11:35 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 09:49 AM   #13
Benson

I am sure that Tony and Dieter Stipe and A&L are having similar problems finding workers!
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 04:05 PM   #14
Synchro909

A friend of mine has just shut down his manufacturing business for pretty much the same reasons you guys are talking about. Don't feel special - it is happening everywhere. After all, accountants (bean counters) are the same all over the world.
As I say, "Accountants have a lot to account for."
Old 12-05-2023, 04:38 PM   #15
KR500

What everyone states here is true. I attended a high school which had a woodshop, electric shop, machine shop, and an automotive shop. 10 years after I graduated no more shops and the school became a college prep school. I retired in 2017, but continued working part time because tool makers are becoming non existent. We have more equipment today that can economically make short runs of lower production items and cheaper but the programmers still have to be trained as do the machine operators. Many parents didn't want their offspring working on oily machinery, so encouraged college courses. We could encourage immigrants flooding our borders for incentives to learn English and sign up for apprenticeships.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 06:16 PM   #16
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
KR500,

Here is what I know.

These adapters and thousands of similar items are made from steel which is cut with Computer controlled automated laser cutters.

Parts are then bent to shape (More machines some are custom made for this one job).

Assembled in stages using various "custom made" jigs to hold them in place before welding.

Then various welds are done to complete the adapters.

I know of one such shop which in 2019 employed 80 workers.

They are now down to 8 workers and 90% of the machines are idle.

After Washington's response to Covid 19 shut down all the companies, the employees went on to other careers and never returned.

I wonder how long the owners can pay the bills and leases on all of these automated machines?

They cannot find qualified workers to run the machines and they do not have the experienced longtime employees to train anyone willing to learn!!

Thinking out loud here: Why were all of the shop classes and Vocational Schools shut down?

More things that "Bean Counters" have done to drive the USA out of the manufacturing business!

Brent,

Yes Steve Becker bought AC&R (Auto Care and Restoration), (as I remember) when they closed.

I think that Steve will comment when he returns from Vacation.
When I was nearing retirement I thought geeze I have a ton of cash, and more wealth that I ever could have imagined. So then I thought about other business opportunites I could pursue; buy a towing company, auctioneer, beekeeping, contractor specializing in pole barns, and pole barn shops, something in the auto restoration business, offer Larry Brumfield a cash offer for his design, and operation with him remaining a minority partner, Exercise equipment company. You get the idea. The bottom line is that I can not stomach the risk. Even if you start something, you never know when employees will turn on you (unprovked even). The regulators can always find a reason to ruin you. OSHA, zoning, not to mention legal fees, payrol and accounting services, insurance...the list goes on and on.

I was a VP at one of the biggest 25 banks in the nation, I think I know how to do business. This ship needs to start to turn, or we are all gonna be in a mess one day.

LeBarron -Bonney - who would have ever thought that they would be out of business!
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 06:59 PM   #17
Synchro909

I was a VP at one of the biggest 25 banks in the nation, I think I know how to do business. This ship needs to start to turn, or we are all gonna be in a mess one day.

I hear that but I think it is too late to turn the ship. Nowadays, even those responsible for setting school curriculums don't know anything about shops. They didn't exist when they went to school and have no experience where they might have thought "Gee, I wish I knew how to fix this." IMO,
It will take something REALLY drastic to bring them to their senses, like a war where we need stuff made NOW, not wait for it to be imported from the country that is most likely going to be the enemy. These bean counters need to learn the difference between increasing prices and increasing wealth. There will be no point making a big profit in a country that is on its knees. See my signatures below.
Best I don't get started on this.
Old 12-05-2023, 07:55 PM   #18
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post

I hear that but I think it is too late to turn the ship. Nowadays, even those responsible for setting school curriculums don't know anything about shops. They didn't exist when they went to school and have no experience where they might have thought "Gee, I wish I knew how to fix this." IMO,
It will take something REALLY drastic to bring them to their senses, like a war where we need stuff made NOW, not wait for it to be imported from the country that is most likely going to be the enemy. These bean counters need to learn the difference between increasing prices and increasing wealth. There will be no point making a big profit in a country that is on its knees. See my signatures below.
Best I don't get started on this.
The colleges teach that. Goals Goals Goals!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote