Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
jaguar6165

Default Changing tires.

I have read many posts about the plastic bag method and it seems pretty straight foward, but let me ask a dumb question. Why not use a machine? I have a customer who is a very good mechanic and he said the tire machines should work with no problem. I heard you couldnt use a machine but was then told that the main reason shops wont change them because they are too afraid of being liable for a ruining a wheel. So if a shop is good enough and willing to use a machine why not use one?
jaguar6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Changing tires.

Paint chips
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
jaguar6165

so if my wheel is already a little chipped and i only need to change a tube for now until i get it painted and new tires should i save myself the hassel and use the machine?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Mitch Bunkin in PA

I guess it's your choice. However, as a novice, I never changed a tire until late last year. I used the garbage bag method & it was pretty easy to put on 5 new ones. Don't know if it's that easy if tires are really old.

"Most people ONLY want to know
what they already believe and
nothing more."
Mitch Bunkin in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Dave Pratt - IL

Since you are not concerned about the paint on your wheels, it really doesn't matter which method you choose. However, I think if you try the garbage bag method, you will realize that it takes no more effort than using a tire machine. It really is that easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar6165 View Post
so if my wheel is already a little chipped and i only need to change a tube for now until i get it painted and new tires should i save myself the hassel and use the machine?
Dave Pratt - IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Charlie Stephens

The problem with most modern tire changing machines is that the arm that presses against the bead to break it is driven by an air piston. To hard of a push will bend the rim causing a wobble. Wire wheels are not as strong in that direction as modern steel rims. Most kids working in tire shops today don't know how to control the amount of pressure and thus the press on the arm. If you don't want to do it yourself find a tire shop where someone is old enough to remember how to use tire irons. Usually tire shops that work on trucks will know how to use tire irons.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
29RPU

I too just changed a set of tires using the bag method. Actually, I decided to try the second tire without the bag and it was notibly more difficult. The bag really works well. I think another potential reason not to use a machine is that the tires were not specifically designed for it. Based on the design of the wheel and tire, it is important where the bead of the tire sits in the rim during various parts of the tire change. If you used a powerful tire changing machine and the beads are not in the recessed portion of the rim, then I think you could easily do some tire or rim damage....
29RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Brentwood Bob

I use a spindle mounted about chest high. No stinking bags for me. Honestly, you should be able to change a tire easily with no tire irons. Just break the bead on both sides before you start to demount the tire. Then do it. The old stiff tires that are rusted onto the rim require brute force. I've even cut them off with a hack saw. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
J Franklin

A new tire can be mounted without tire irons, I use a leather mallet and foot
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
Preacher

I agree, it can be done fairly easily by hand. did quite a few this spring, demounting and mounting. I would imagine it is more difficult on the 21" however. Had a flat at French Lick and I demounted and repaired the tube then remounted with no tools.

http://tcmafc.org/
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
jaguar6165

well i guess ill give it a shot. Ill probably bring them inside so i can do it in the ac. It was 102 yesterday. Way to hot to work out side and the extreme humidity doesnt help.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
Dave Pratt - IL

About any type of trash bag will work (others have mentioned doing it without a bag). I have found that the higher quality "Hefty" bags work even better than the generic ones I buy at the local farm store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar6165 View Post
well i guess ill give it a shot. Ill probably bring them inside so i can do it in the ac. It was 102 yesterday. Way to hot to work out side and the extreme humidity doesnt help.
Dave Pratt - IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
TK in LA

A little laundry soap and water work excellent and makes it much easier for the tire to slide onto or off the rim. Just a little, not enough to float the tube. It evaporates to almost nothing and if mixed heavy on the soap, it won't rust the rim
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

I use original style GoJo hand cleaner as a lubricant. No tools are necessary and the 21inch wheels are the easiest. the Go Jo washes right off with water.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
Dan R

I removed and installed 5 new tires with a modern tire machine. No scratches, marks or bends. If the tire machine is adjusted properly, nothing touches the rim. All I did was make 2 big rubber washers from an old tube where the centre of the wheel is secured with the big nut, (don't use the rim grippers). It was easier than I expected. Lots of talcum powder helps to align the tube. Just my experience, Good luck, Dan R.
Dan R is offline   Reply With Quote