Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2011, 04:58 AM   #11
James Rogers

Default Re: Not getting fire!! Won't start. PLEASE HELP FAST!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotex View Post
Ok, Here is where I stand now. I have gotten the Model A running by wiring the coil directly to the points and the coil directly to the post on the starter. I had it put in correct timing and charged the battery for about an hour and it fires up and runs. BUT, Now I have a new problem. I can get it running by choking it but then it is hard to keep it running when I open the choke. I finally got it to run and idle for about 2 hours but then when I try to drive it it just constantly dies out and is harder and harder to get started. I ended up just pushing it back into the yard for the night.
Sounds to me like you have possibly 2 problems. One you quite possibly have a bad ammeter. To check this re-wire the system to stock and wrap a wire around the brass nuts on the terminal box. This will bypass the ammeter and the engine should start if this is the problem.

Once you figure this out you need to move on to the running. Sounds like fuel starvation. I would disconnect the fuel line and make sure you have a good stream of fuel to the carb for as long as it takes to fill a quart jar without any fluctuation. If the fuel is intermittent or stops, use a compressor to blow back into the tank from the carb end. If the flow is good, remove the carb and clean it out. It may have rust sediment in the bowl.

These are my only suggestions without seeing the car.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote