Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #21
Butch11443

Default Re: New to forum 49 ford f1

Welcome Fluffy! Look into an 80's 4-speed overdrive trans for it out of a Ford pickup. It should be an easy adapt. You'll have the best setup with this.
Butch
Butch11443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #22
tiquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch11443 View Post
Welcome Fluffy! Look into an 80's 4-speed overdrive trans for it out of a Ford pickup. It should be an easy adapt. You'll have the best setup with this.
Butch
Yes a good choice also, and it would be all ford
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #23
fluffy

Thanks Butch
fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #24
joe plumber

Welcome to the barn .Have fun with your project and take your time with it .Check out LMC Ford .They have some parts for 48-50 F100's.Go on line and request a catalog.

Last edited by joe plumber; 02-17-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: add
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #25
mtflat

Welcome to the world of early F series trucks. I have 5 - and started with a 48 F1 that I did the same thing that you hope to do. I've had it on the road as a daily for 12 years.

I highly recommend you buy a shop manual - available in paper reprint or on CD.

Have fun with it and ask when you have questions.
Tim
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #26
jim1932

It doesn't sound like you are that interested in keeping it a stock restoration. If that is the case the reproduction body parts should be cheaper. Your best bet is an abandoned project that has a good body but no drive train.

Also, make sure you know if any of the items form larger trucks will fit. There are more old junker hay and farm truck out there than there are pickups. especially in old industrial areas like outside DC. Old city and town highway garages might have junkers too.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #27
nospartsman
BANNED

Fluffy, I am going to assume the finances of a 16 year old are rather tight. With that in mind spend some of your free time beating the bushes in the boondocks looking for a 1 1/2 ton truck to donate the front fenders, hood and grille. The wheelwells are a little bigger, so what. For a box make a home made flatbed, if you have to use your moms dinning room table. The whole point is to get the truck on the road. When you start driving your truck, you'll be surprised how many leads you will get, spend what funds you have available on saftey and drivability items, and get on the road. You can always replace lesser parts when you find the right stuff. If you wait until you can afford a repro box and boards you be out of college. My 2 cents.
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #28
fluffy

I already ordered lmc catalogs. I also have the original shop manual it came along with my chassis when i bought it. I found an abandon project with barely any rust and it had all the body parts and a rebuild motor (351) and trans for 700 and i could have build the one i have now stock and customized the other. Only problem is being 16 i want to work somewhere that has to with basically anything automotive but you have to be 18 for insurance. So i can't find a job. I want to keep this one stock as i can but i also want to build something different. I don't know what i want to do with it yet.
fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #29
Conrad Rossi

Welcome!

Mike, I believe that sheet metal for his truck is good from '48-'52.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #30
mtflat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy View Post
I'm not positive but i think the 48-50 f1 beds and fenders all fit on the 49 f1. I'm not so sure about the running boards.
You're right on beds and fenders. Running boards too.

You can use 51/52 sheetmetal BUT you have to use the whole front end - upper fenders, lower fender extensions, inner fenders, grille and valance panels above and below the grille. Also, the hood latch is completely different. If you go this route, don't get rid of any parts you take off until you get it all back together.

51/52 F1 running boards will also work but are shaped differently under the cab. Functionally they're the same and look the same from the outside.

Some F1 parts are unique. For what you're asking, F1 fenders have a smaller wheel opening, but F2-F6 have the same outer dimensions and will bolt on perfectly. Just make sure to grab the lower fender extensions with the fenders you get.

F1 running boards are also unique. F2/F3 are longer and can't be adapted very easily.

Boxes and rear fenders are the same 48-50.
51/52 will work but you must use the 51/52 rear fenders with that box.
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #31
GreenMonster48

Welcome to the F-1 world! They are great trucks. LMC tends to be a little pricey. Search around and you might find some less expensive resources for certain things.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #32
Richard

I will look around for some fenders and bed here in west coast. I will let you know what I find. gob bless. Richard 5623384419
Old 02-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #33
Closenough

I'm a second generation hot rodder working on my first truck, 50' F2. Used stock frame, sheetmetal and radiator, everything else available for sale or trade. By the way ALL FORD parts are used to improve safety and drivibility on my projects. Feel free to ask questions, I've restored and hot rodded everything from street rods to pony and muscle cars.
Closenough is offline   Reply With Quote