Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
CaliforniaBorn36

Default 1936 Horn problem

I know there was a lengthy thread here recently about a problem like this but it was for a 1941, and looking at the Wiring diagrams on Vanpelts site it seems the 1936 is a bit different. Looks like the 1936 does not have a horn relay. Is that correct?

My symptoms are:

1. Hit the button I can hear the horns click but not sound
2. Hook the blue and yellow wire to ground, the horn blasts quite loud.

So I am assuming the horn button completes the ground and if I want to put in an auxillary button under the dash, it is grounded, not wired to power, is that correct? And run to the blue/yellow lead.

If the switch is to ground, does the line need to be fused? If so, what size fuse is appropriate?

Thanks for any guidance.
CaliforniaBorn36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Henryat1140

Default Re: 1936 Horn problem

You are correct. The horns sound because the wire feeding them has been grounded.

An auxiliary switch would be open until grounded when the button is pressed. Originally I don't think there was a fuse in that line.

Have you considered rehabbing the original? On our '36 it was a matter of crud in the switch part of the horn rod. Cleaning it up and making it shiny with emery cloth did the trick. It's a couple of hour job, and you want to be VERY CAREFUL when withdrawing the rod so that you do not bend it in the least.

Good luck, write if you want more details on cleaning up the original switch.

Henry
Henryat1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
CaliforniaBorn36

Henryat1140, I think I am going to go with the auxillary switch for now just to get the horns working. It has been many years since I wrenched on cars and I don't want to make things worse than they are, I've only had the car since October. Maybe at a later date I will pull the horn rod. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
jfcrash

In the last several weeks I experienced the same issue when installing my two horns in the '35....very loud on the work bench powered by a battery charger, but only made a clicking sound when on the car....grounding the bl/yellow also made them sound.

I was advised to disconnect one horn, remove the cover on the other and slowly adjust the points (and clean the points)...in my case in worked and did the same on the other horn...problem solved. This is a simple test and a bit easier than running wires to a auxilliary horn button or relay.

Hope this helps, Jim

I couldn't repair the brakes, so I adjusted the horn louder....
jfcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
CaliforniaBorn36

jfcrash, when you disconnected one horn, did the other still just click? You didn't happen to document anything with pictures did you? Thanks
Old 05-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
jfcrash

CB36,
Yes, they each clicked.....but at leased they clicked leaving me to beleive I was making a connection thru the horn button...it was to early to give up without trying to readjust them on the car.

Disconnect the bl/yellow wire on one of them and concentrate on the the other one. Since I was working alone, I actually ran a jumper wire from chassis ground to the bl/yellow terminal on the horn I was working on so it was constantly energized....on top of the horn there is a double hex nut which you loosen enough so you can adjust the points with a screw driver and hopefully you can get the horn to sound, then retighten the center locking hex nut. Then repeat the process for the other horn.

It was easly for me as the horns are mounted externally on the front fenders. Attached is a photo of a horn on my workbench and one when mounted on the car.

Hope this helps, Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1765.jpg (87.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1792.jpg (100.8 KB, 56 views)

I couldn't repair the brakes, so I adjusted the horn louder....
jfcrash is offline   Reply With Quote