Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
Seth Swoboda

Default Pre war Buick question/off topic but related

Guys I know this is not Ford, however it's antique car related. A local county museum has approached me about getting a 1931 Buick sedan running again for them. I have searched the internet and I don't find much in the way of forums, parts or information on these automobiles. Before I dive into the project I wanted to learn as much about the car as possible. I have seen the car, older restoration, but don't know yet what it will take. I found that the AACA has a Buick forum but the Buick Club of America does not have much information on their web page.

Do any of you gentleman have any insight for me about parts sources and information on this car? I would like to help them out and get their car back on the road for them.

Thanks,
Seth

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 10-16-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
tiger.1000

Default Re: Pre war Buick question/off topic but related

Seth,

Shouldn't be that difficult...just a load of common sense...so.....

1) Get a new battery
2) pump the tyres up
3) Drain the sump, transmission and differential and fill with fresh lubricant
4) Ensure fuel tank and lines are clean; add fuel
5) Remove carburettor, strip, clean reassemble
6) Remove spark plugs and pour some machine oil in to the bores
7) Clean contact breakers and distributor cap
8) Turn ignition on and spin engine with distributor cap off and plugs out, check
that there's a spark
9) Ensure there's fuel getting to the carburettor
10) In with the spark plugs; ignition on and spin the starter.

At this stage that old OHV engine should be purring like a pussy cat

Doubtless I've overlooked something....
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
bobH

A different view, as compared to tiger's....
Basics first - does it turn over, if not, try to make it do so. (borrow, don't buy, battery)
is there spark, if not, fix
skip everything else. go directly to running - this can be by squirting either starter fluid, or gaso from a squeeze bottle into the inlet.
Determine if there is something to work with - any bad knocks ? bad miss ? bad leaks ? anything ?
Then, if all is 'go', proceed to tiger's list.
This opinion based on old 'schooling', training in a shop in the 50's. I think my worst example is from one time in a dealership that I worked at, they dragged in an oldie that I was supposed to get running. I approached it much like Tiger suggested. After all the prep, and at the firing stage, the engine had a horrible, fatal, knock. The boss, owner of the dealership, stopped the project immediately (he could hear it, all the way from the front of the dealership, and I filled the shop with smoke), and was rightfully mad at me for not taking the 'shorter' route to find out the engine was bad.
I've never forgotten that lesson.
Just an opinion.
As for the original question, I would try the Buick club. And, an old issue of Hemming's has a Buick parts source list - maybe a google ?
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
TonyM

That Buick forum at AACA is pretty good; you should post your inquiry on the Buick Pre war forum on the AACA/BCA forums. Those guys know their straight eights.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
Seth Swoboda

Thanks for the info guys. I will have to join that AACA forum and talk Buick. Although I prefer to talk flathead Fords. The Buick Club web page did not yield any contact info and looked pretty dead.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
Mart

When it comes to firing up and old engine, I don't think there's anything so out of the ordinary about flatheads that would make the usual advice offered for flathead startups universally applicable to virtually any other engine.

It would probably be a good idea to see if there is oil in the pan first.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
flatheadfan

Seth-

Other than what has been said, I can only add my limited experience from a couple of Pre-War Buicks I have had. First, the engines are real workhorses but are prone to leaks. Second, parts are VERY hard to locate. I had to let my '38 sit for over an month trying to locate a solenoid. I finally found a used one for $250. Which brings me to the last item. "If" you do find a must have part you better have a deep pocket. Buick parts prices seem to be about the same as Packard prices but not as common.

At one time the West Michigan Chapter, BCA located in Grand Rapids, Mi had available a Buick Technical Tips Manual (1993), which I found helpful.

Hope this helps.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadfan View Post
Seth-

Other than what has been said, I can only add my limited experience from a couple of Pre-War Buicks I have had. First, the engines are real workhorses but are prone to leaks. Second, parts are VERY hard to locate. I had to let my '38 sit for over an month trying to locate a solenoid. I finally found a used one for $250. Which brings me to the last item. "If" you do find a must have part you better have a deep pocket. Buick parts prices seem to be about the same as Packard prices but not as common.

At one time the West Michigan Chapter, BCA located in Grand Rapids, Mi had available a Buick Technical Tips Manual (1993), which I found helpful.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Tom, Thanks. This car belongs to a local historical society. They own and maintain several properties around the county. I will be up front with them on the parts cost. Fortunately, they are very well funded by private edowments and annual events.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

There were several models of Buick...NAPA has all the basic ignition bits for at least some '31's in case point spring expired in storage or something. Spin it with a bit of oil squirted in, go through ignition to check for corrosion of contacts, etc.
It would be nice to have a carb gasket set, but worry about that if trouble reveals itself.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote