Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Lawson Cox

Default Wax & polish that leaves no residue

Does anyone know of a polish/wax that will not leave a white residue in cracks and crevasses on a car/truck. I have never found one and I hate to see the white stuff in places it should not be.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
34PKUP

Default Re: Wax & polish that leaves no residue

It's not the wax/polish that leaves the residue, it's who fails to remove it.
I have found that an old used tooth brush works to remove the stuff in tight areas.
Or even a stiff paint brush.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
FL&WVMIKE

LAWSON ........................
Try TURTLE WAX - ICE. It is the best I have found for not leaving that white residue.
The paint on my phaeton is original and in 78 years, it has acquired plenty of "patina". I can wax over this "patina" and have no white residue.
MIKE

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 01-13-2012 at 10:16 PM.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Old Henry

Several years ago Consumer Reports rated Black Magic #1 so I tried it. It is fairly amazing stuff. It never really dries to a white "haze" so there is no white residue in cracks like most other car finishes I've ever tried. And it seems to be an extremely durable and "slippery' finish. Any kind of "soft water" spots on it, like from a clean rain, I can wipe right off with my California Duster and rarely even have to wash it with water. And it lasts easily for a full year before I put it on again. The only downside is that because it does not ever dry to a full white haze it takes a bit more effort to wipe off after it does dry and a few more towels. To me it's worth it and I'll keep using it.

My 2 cents.

Oh, here's the Black Magic: http://www.blackmagicshine.com/wet-shine-liquid-wax.php

P.S. As per the instructions, the colder the surface the easier this is to work with. I usually put it on at the end of the winter while it's still cold but will be fresh enough finish to take me through the summer.

Last edited by Old Henry; 01-12-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Model A Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
LAWSON ........................
Try TURTLE WAX - ICE. It is the best I have found for not leaving that white residue.
MIKE

X 2 on the above No residue easy to install and remove
Model A Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Vic Piano

Yup, Turtle Wax Ice does a nice job and they have a quick detailer for touch ups.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Joe KCMO

I have never put wax on any of my cars. I use polish. Wax as you know leaves residue. And even when you put it on right it builds up and distorts the paint. Polish on the other hand, wipe it on buff it up. I personally use zano brothers polish.
Joe KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Lanny

Here is what I found out about polish and /or wax.

Car wax
  • Car wax is a non-abrasive coating usually containing Carnuba and other waxes. It is applied after washing your car and dries to a thin, milky-white layer when applied properly and is then wiped or buffed off. The wax serves as a clear, shiny protective layer between the elements and the clear-coat that has been applied over the paint on your car. It fills in very tiny (read, microscopic) dimples in the clear-coat and will help them shine to near-showroom brightness.

Car polish
  • Car polish usually contains a mild abrasive that removes not only some of the more difficult road materials that could splatter onto your car like chemicals, salt, tar, and bugs, but also a very, very thin layer of clear-coat depending on how it is applied and removed. Eventually, the polish could clean away the clear-coat itself and after that it can begin removing paint that the clear-coat was applied to protect in the first place. For this reason, it is highly recommended not to use an electrical buffer when applying polish. Instead, apply and remove by hand or leave it to professionals. Some polishes contain Teflon, so don't even think of making your bathtub regain its luster using polish because it is too slippery.

When to use which
  • Before deciding whether to wax or polish your car, first wash your car thoroughly and make sure it is dry. Then lightly run your fingers over the paint, feeling for rough spots or elevated specks. If the surface is smooth it means you need only apply wax and wipe off according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you feel little bumps or irregularities, it means the defects are below the surface and the car needs to be polished according to the instructions of the polish you've purchased.

Ups and downs
  • We've already talked about the downside of polish. If used too often and wrongly (especially with older cars), it can eventually polish away the clear-coat, paint, and even the undercoat. If it gets that far along, the vehicle will need to be repainted. However, given technological advances, some polishes contain such mild abrasive or polymer blends that damage to the clear coat is minimal. The biggest advantage to polish is that it will shine a lot longer and water will continue to bead for up to a year.
    Wax, on the other hand, needs to be applied much more frequently and can actually melt if it gets hot enough, particularly on flat surfaces, like the roof and hood, which are exposed the most to the sun.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
Old Henry

For anyone interested in actual scientific testing here is the latest Consumer Report on liquid car finishes. Curiously, the Turtle Wax - Ice recommended by some is rated last. Even more curiouser, the Black Magic they rated first 4 years ago isn't even on the list. Of course, these ratings do not address the initial question about the white residue in cracks.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
wga

At SEMA a few years ago, got together with the Surf City detailers. Really like the
Beyond Clay product, does an excellent job of cleaning with a waffle pad on the Makita vari speed polisher, set at 2, and does not leave a residue.
If you have problems removing that stuff along fender welts, try one of the spray detailers along with a tooth brush or a detailing brush (longer bristles). Then use your diapers or micro fiber cloth as a wipe up. Also, might want to use blue masking tape for protection.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
Joe KCMO

The polish I was referring too has no abrasives. It is one of those new polymers which bonds to the paint, but can be removed. It is used for those expensive show cars with the custom paint jobs. There is first a prep coat, shine coat, super show gloss coat. Very impressive.
Joe KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
makemc

I like Meguiars Gold Classic..I think its probably the best and easiest I've ever used. If you are not out in the sun, you can put it on the whole car and then wipe and buff, it never dries too hard and leaves a great shine and no white residue..
makemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
flathead4rd

I don't care what that report says. Turtle Wax Ice is the best one I have used and I've tried a lot of them. JMO
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
Clem Clement

Lawson,
Have your wifey shine yer car...
Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemc View Post
I like Meguiars Gold Classic..I think its probably the best and easiest I've ever used. If you are not out in the sun, you can put it on the whole car and then wipe and buff, it never dries too hard and leaves a great shine and no white residue..

I like the Gold Classic too because it's easy to work with.

I do think that every product, even spray-on quick detailers, leave a residue if they're not properly wiped off.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #16
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
Lawson,
Have your wifey shine yer car...
Clem
If I could get her to help on the car I am afraid it would give me a heart attack due to the sudden surprise.

LOL
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #17
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Several years ago Consumer Reports rated Black Magic #1 so I tried it. It is fairly amazing stuff.
News update: Black Magic is no longer available.
I've just bought the new top rated (by Consumer Reports) Mequiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 and will try it tonight and report.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Marv

Does anyone remember Black Magic body filler that was produced in the early 60'S and maybe earlier. It was harder than steel and hard to work for a beginner like me. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #19
silvertop

Oh Yes--Good old Black Magic--It is what gave body fill it's bad reputation. That stuff was so terrible to work with, hardner was clear, so you didn't know when it was mixed properly. It got so hard it was like sanding a red brick.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #20
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34PKUP View Post
It's not the wax/polish that leaves the residue, it's who fails to remove it.
I have found that an old used tooth brush works to remove the stuff in tight areas.
Or even a stiff paint brush.
No matter what product you use, an old toothbrush makes quick work of the residue. I use a flame to bend the tip of the brush up slightly so I can also reach into tight spots. A brush like this works amazingly fast for this job.