Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
Terry,NJ

Default Model B (carb) Blues

Nice warm afternoon! So I decided to try once more with my Mod B carb on my coupe. I had bought the Carb at the Jacktown swap meet and brought it home, Cleaned the rust off of it, blew it out, changed the gaskets, and reassembled it, Put it on the coupe about six months ago. It ran strong, But... It wouldn't idle and something else. So I took it off and I planned to diligently go over it through the winter and put it back on this spring, like now. I put it back on and tried to start it. It wouldn't run without the choke. So off it came again. I went to Vince Falter's site on Mod B carbs, but couldn't find the float setting. I did learn there are basically 3 versions of this carb and I have the latest version with the rectangular float. Among the drawings the floats were pictured as being level with the top half of the carb. Mine was angled downward. I also read some where that the float levels are fairly critical on them also. Now after stalling in rush hour in my road, and barely getting the car back into the garage, I'm a little teed off at it. I came inside and headed straight for my puter and Fordbarn.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Model B (carb) Blues

The later version carbs include a spring on the float which "counters" the fuel pump pressure.

You can open the carb to check this out. And you can remove the spring if the carb is to be used on gravity feed.

Joe K
Old 03-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Fred K-OR

I have a B carb on my huckster. I find that I have to leave to gas valve open about one turn to have it idle well. In doing this, I think I get bad gas mileage, maybe around 14 or15 MPG. The mileage problem also could be caused by the wood body on the huckster. Overall rig weighs about 2800. Been thinking about going back to an A carb.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
AL in NY

I had trouble with my "B" carb when I first installed it. I finally removed the baffle and spring and it works great now. I would also check to be sure the throttle plate shaft is tight and not leaking a excess amount of air into the venture area of the carburetor.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
Terry,NJ

Thanks Guys! I found the baffle/spring and decided to leave it in, Wrong move! I will remove it ASAP.
Terry
Old 03-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
Terry,NJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hey! Before I forget it, Anyone have a mod.B carb. rebuilding site? I still don't have the specs, or a height for the float.
Terry
Old 03-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

Ck Vince's site and or Renner's.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:09 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

I think model A org will have all specs for model B carbs and many others. There is a small passage hole in the front of the upper carb throat just above the throttle butterfly. Sometimes this very small passage gets obstructed and won't allow the idle circuit to function. I use the smallest torch tip cleaner to probe the passage. the small tip cleaner is flexable and has worked good for me. You've got to get it so air will pass through this passage or it won't idle. I remove the throttle shafr and build up the worn area with rosin core solder. I file the soldered area to obtain a decent fit, this can also improve idle.Good luck.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote