Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
drpepper1885

Default Timing with a True-Fire System

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 1912 Touring car that has a True-Fire system. I realize that there are many opinions regarding this system, but it is all I have at this time. I really need some advice from someone that has experience with this system. The phone number of Bittner Engineering on its website is disconnected and I don't know how to reach the manufacturer.

I recently had to change out the head gasket and perform some long overdue maintenance on the engine. In the course of buttoning her up for a restart, I wanted to make sure that the engine was timed correctly. (I am using one of the new Lang's LED timer tools as pictured). The True-Fire module is installed in a new timer shell as per the instruction sheet that came with the system. I used a new Anderson timer shell.

What is confusing to me is the position of the top of the timer when the engine is timed at 15 degrees off TDC (on the compression stroke). The hole for the timer rod is much more to the left than I was expecting. I rechecked my timing tool and checked three times to make sure that I was at the correct position on the compression stroke. I took some pictures to show the position of the rotor at TDC. The small rod inside the rotor is positioned between 11 o'clock and 12 o'clock.

I also added a picture showing the approximate positon of the timer when it is supposedly at 15 degress off TDC. You can see how far the timer rod hole is to the left of 12 o'clock.

The main question I have is whether or not this is normal for this type of system? If yes, then I will have quite a job manipulating the timer rod to make sure that it gets to where it needs to be and still clears the wire posts of the timer and the lower radiator tube.

I sincerely appreciate your time and thoughts on this perplexing matter.

Thank you,
Mike in Houston
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0999.jpg (46.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1000.jpg (70.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1001.jpg (52.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1002.jpg (57.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1003.jpg (66.4 KB, 33 views)
drpepper1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Timing with a True-Fire System

Check your wiring, then turn the timer clockwise as you are looking at it and try picking up the next contact. Even for that unit, that is way out of place as shown. Remember this unit fires 2 spark plugs at the same time.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
drpepper1885

Hello everyone. I received the following reply from a poster on the MTCFA board, which answered my questions. The position of the commutator was correct after all. I sucessfully timed the engine tonight using the following procedure. Thanks again for everyone's input. Hopefully this post will help someone in the future.

According to an email from Ed himself, this is the routine.

1. Set the Spark Rod all the way to Retard or at the top.

2. Remove all four spark plug wires.

3. Remove all four spark plugs.

4. Attach plug wires back to plugs and set each of them on the head, turn on the ignition key.

5. One person now has to slowly turn the crank, by hand, just until the #1 and #4 plugs start firing, while a second person peaks in the spark plug hole with a small pen light to note the position of the piston. If the piston has just reached Top Dead Center and started down about 1/8th inch, you are good to go and can turn off the ignition key, put the plugs back in and attach the wires.

Alignment Procedure (when the above did not indicate alignment)

6. Remove the Spark Rod from the Timer and rotate the Timer Connection about 1/2 inch closer to the Passenger Side or Counter Clockwise looking from the Front.

7. One person has to turn the crank, by hand, while a second person peaks in the spark plug hole with a small pen light to note the position of the piston. Stop turning the crank when the #1 piston has just reached Top Dead Center and started down about 1/8th inch.

8. Slowly move the Timer Connection toward the Driver's Side or Clockwise from the Front. Stop when the buzz noise starts.

9. Bend the Spark Rod until it will go back in the Timer Connection without moving the timer position.

10. Repeat the Test Procedure to insure the setting is correct. Wear in the linkage may move that setting several degrees.
drpepper1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
redmodelt

http://www.true-fire.com/True-Fire%2...%20to%2012.pdf
You will need to cut and paste this link to your browser.

Last edited by redmodelt; 10-16-2012 at 06:57 PM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:53 AM   #5
kwisor

hello
i have a 1923 roadster that i put a rebuilt motor in about 7 years ago at the same time i put the truefire system in the car and have never had any trouble with it and the car starts right up everytime i love it car runs great
kevin
1923 roadster
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote