Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2024, 03:02 PM   #21
goodcar

Default Re: Electric Model A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
A Model A that has been converted to electric drive is advertised today on Craigslist, Vancouver. It looks like a nice installation. One gear drive, no shifting, as is the case with all EV's.

Are there any other electric powered Model A's out there?

Price and range were not quoted.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...731185091.html
Article on early electric car. Not a Model A but an interesting article on a 1920 Rauch & Lang electric at the Durham Museum (former Union Station) in Omaha.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...829742655&_rdr
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 03:11 PM   #22
30Murray

We're paying $7.50 /usgal. for gas in Vancouver now, the highest in North america and there're adding 15 cents more tax on April fools day. It won't be long before we can't afford to drive our A's. We'll get our revenge when the taxman comes after the EV's to pay for the roads.
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:39 PM   #23
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

I would prefer a hybrid conversion where the stock four banger would be kept for normal driving and charging the batteries, and two electric motors driving the front wheels to accelerate at strop signs and up hills. I don’t know if anyone has engineered a hybrid, I've only seen full electric conversions for other cars but, as pointed out above, full electric would require too many batteries.

There was a show on Motor Trend TV about a guy in the UK that was doing electric conversion primarily for cars used in town, e.g., he converted a 1960’s Fiat 500 for a lady who used it for local errands. I’ve also heard of some of the shops that make replicas of Porsche Speedsters and 356’s will install an electric option instead of an gas engine.

With respect to gas prices, I’ve filled up the Model A at a local Union 76 station here in Southern California with non-alcohol gas they call “racing gas” for $10/gal. Of course, I don’t drive much anymore. It’s probably gone up since the last time I got gas up.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:09 PM   #24
Banditorama

The stock engine isn't powerful enough to charge a hybrid battery pack and move the car down the road. Especially when you factor in the added weight of that whole system. Besides that, idk how you would fit all that into the car without removing the engine

No need to re-invent the wheel. If you want a hybrid then get a hybrid, you want an EV then get an EV. They're churning them out everyday. There's only so many Model A's and they aren't making anymore of them. The hot rod guys are already bad enough chopping these things up and shoving chevy engines in them

Banditorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 07:05 AM   #25
rackops

For my line of work (government utilities) I was at a conference this last week. One of the vendors there had a very interesting concept - an energy storage device with the primary component being supercapacitors.

One of the benefits of the supercapacitor is that it replaces the bulky lithium battery that's now the biggest headache for designing EVs. In fact, they have developed a way to print their supercapacitors in many different forms. They are working with Shelby and MacLaren right now to power a "supercar" using sheet-produced supercapacitors that will be molded into the body of the car - resulting in no need for placing a large battery at all.

It's pretty cool stuff, and in theory they could be used to create a motor that looks close to the original A engine, but fully electric.

Of course, it can never replace the sound and feel of a real internal combustion engine, but the technology certainly is impressive.
rackops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 07:32 PM   #26
P.S.

Let us not forget that there were many electric cars on the road when the Model A was new. They were primarily marketed toward those in big cities and to ladies.
Old 03-31-2024, 07:51 PM   #27
ModelA29

Just imagine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ice new.jpg (48.3 KB, 30 views)
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 07:53 PM   #28
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Let us not forget that there were many electric cars on the road when the Model A was new. They were primarily marketed toward those in big cities and to ladies.
Clara Ford drove an EV - https://www.thehenryford.org/collect...tifact/209957/
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 11:21 AM   #29
AzBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post

Henry with Clara's Detroit Electric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MT086.jpg (76.6 KB, 20 views)
AzBob is offline   Reply With Quote