Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
roccaas

Default What do you remember about the Mustang introduction 50 years ago today?

4/15/1964.

What did you think of the car? Did you want one?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
Bruce Adams

Default Re: What do you remember about the Mustang introduction 50 years ago today?

Yes I wanted one from my first seeing it at NY Worlds Fair in 1964, have one, and feel it is the reincarnation of the Model A.
I will be at the Mustang Fiftieth Reunion Event sponsored by FOMOCO at NY Worlds Fair UNISPHERE Thursday, April 17.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Tacoma Bob

Default Re: What do you remember about the Mustang introduction 50 years ago today?

I remember the day very well. I was with my Dad and we were in downtown Tacoma, WA. As we strolled down Market street there was a brand spankin 64.5 Ford Mustang. It was a coupe and a very light baby blue. We were in awe. Ironically in the spring of 1966 parked within feet of where the stang was I was waliking down the street and there sat a brand spankin new 1966 Stingray with 427 marquee. I believe it was red with white racing stripes.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
montanafordman

During the National meet in Puyallup, WA the America's Car Museum in Tacoma will be showcasing an exhibit on the Ford Mustang with many years, styles etc. represented. Its in the itinerary for "things to do" so make sure you get out here for the national meet!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
1930artdeco

I had to sell my 64 Mustang when I got Missy. I could not restore/upkeep two antiques. I miss her

Mike
Old 04-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
marc hildebrant

Named for the airplane, not the horse.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
kenparker

kens logic: Airplane named for the horse. Car named for the airplane. Therefore car named for horse. ????
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
mshmodela

LOL! I was 8 months old at the time... but this American-Car-Maximus, is one I really dig!

http://kilbeysclassics.com/wp-conten...le-1959-07.jpg
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
barnstuf

I ordered a Mustang Coupe soon after their introduction and it took several months to get it. I still own it and it has been continuously registered and driven. It still has its original paint, original upholstery, and has had nothing replaced under the hood except radiator hoses and distributor cap. There is no Ford dealer near me so I had no participation in introduction day and did not see one until several weeks after introduction. In the 1970's four of my children had 1965 Mustangs at the same time, but theirs are long since gone and Dad's remains. Mine has one option that I ordered and seldom see in other Mustangs, a pin stripe. With a pin stripe the rear fender metal piece was deleted.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
700rpm

My girlfriend told me about it. She wanted one but couldn't afford it, being only 17. She settled for a '57 Chev Bel Air.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
jim galli

My dad bought one immediately! A white coupe. I wish I remember who the dealer was. Town and Country Ford in Reseda, maybe. I was a 12 year old gear head so of course I was thrilled at the idea. But the Ford dealer phoned up and did the old "oops we made a mistake and if you don't come up with a bunch more money we'll have to take the car back" tricks that were common in those days. Dad said, come an' get it then. So us kids were heartbroken. He was able to get the salmon colored '59 Galaxie back from the dealer. (usually when they pull that crap they've ditched your trade in so if you don't come up with the money you're on foot. What a bunch of crooks!)

But within a couple of months, after the initial frenzy had calmed down and production had caught up he got a gold '65 coupe. It was a 289 2bbl which was better than the 260 in the first one. Then in '66 he got a blue convertible which was a 4 bbl and a car that would be valuable today. After that he switched to Ranchero's.

So I guess my memory is that games were played. When I worked for Galpin in the late '70's they were still pulling that crap. Oh, the salesman made a mistake and blah blah blah bring $$$

I remember that ALL '64 mustangs from the first one delivered were considered 1965 models, not 64 1/2.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
jim galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
56servi

I was 20 years old in 64. I don't remember much of anything, but was having a great time
56servi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #13
Patrick L.

Lee Iacocca's baby. I remember well the day. We had to have one, we were selling them. A fancy looking Falcon. I'd like to have one the early ones today, there was quite a difference in them. We sold a fair number of them, mostly with 260s and split about evenly with transmissions.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
marc hildebrant

Some of us remember it as a Falcon frame, 6 cylinder, fancy body.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #15
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc hildebrant View Post
Named for the airplane, not the horse.

Marc
That must be why there is a horse in the logo.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #16
modelacarman

finished restoring a 66 last year nice cars, love to drive it.
modelacarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #17
Patrick L.

There has always seemed to be a debate over how this critter got its name.
The designer Najjar [?] has said he named it after the airplane.
His boss McGuire says he didn't want the name related to a war plane and came up with the horse advertising.
Iacocca has always said the name came while he was watching a Southern Methodist game [ The Mustangs] with friends and came up with the name.
It all seems to add bit of mystery to this vehicle.

I always wanted to build myself a K coupe. I got the engine/ transmission completed but then the Cobra came along. I think I preferred the wind in my face.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #18
Roadster Rich

Oh man what memories. My best friends older sister got one in 1965. Convertable dark blue with the 289. She never could get good at the manual transmission and when she left for college in 1967, it sat at home. My buddy took it over when he got his license in 68. We drove that thing to the edge of hell and back. I remember nights with the top down, sitting up on the back ledge, with the entire back seat floor full of beer cans. Why we are alive I can't say, but that car lasted another 4 years before he finally just beat it to death. Now I would baby that thing more than my Model A if I could just have it back.
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #19
CarlG

The Germans had a better idea. There was already a truck with that name, so they badged it T-5, but still with the horse logo.

All names aside, and back to the original question: I was not then nor have I been since then a big fan of a Mustang. I was given the great pleasure of riding in one on a regular basis (carpool to work, 50 miles each way, once a week for about a year), usually in the back seat. That cured me of ever wanting one!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #20
ericr

you guys will not believe this, but given all the ballyhoo that went along with the introduction, I thought at the time that this would be a great car to buy and store. BUT.....I did not think in terms of a convertible...no one back then saw the demise of convertibles.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote