Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #21
jim galli

Default Re: What do you remember about the Mustang introduction 50 years ago today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post

I always wanted to build myself a K coupe. I got the engine/ transmission completed but then the Cobra came along. I think I preferred the wind in my face.
A guy 4 doors up from us got a dark green K coupe. 271 hp solid lifters with the special flag on the fender. Us kids were drooling. I was a T-Bird snob, but even I was impressed with the K model. I do remember laughing at the thought that anyone would ever get excited about and collect / restore a common as dirt mustang.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
jim galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #22
peters180a/170b

Default Re: What do you remember about the Mustang introduction 50 years ago today?

I remember my friend Lee sister came home with one , brand new convertible ..For Graduating High School...Back then she was HOTTER then the car.... nice red long hair. My eyes were on the 1965 GTO and a 1930 Ford pickup even tho i was 11 at the time...l.o.l.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #23
Rusty Homestead Fl

Fell in love at first sight. I was 18 in 1966 and was able to buy me a 1 year old 1965 289 3spd which I soon converted to a 4spd/4brl. Ran the pee outta that thing with out a lick of trouble. Had 5 since. Still have '69 428 cj Mach I that I got married in in 1970. It's as ragged as I am.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #24
Barry B./ Ma.

I worked part time at the local Ford dealership from 1965 to the late 70s prepping them for delivery and could do 2 a night, did a lot of them as a matter of fact were pretty sick of them but now I kind of miss them. I like the 67-68s the best with 289/302 engine and automatic. Good handling cars, very economical and easy to work on. I'd like to find a nice coupe some day.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #25
Mikeinnj

How do you put a Mustang on top of the Empire State Building ?

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...building-video
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #26
Sixseven

I was a little too young to appreciate all the publicity of their introduction in '64. In '65 an across the street neighbor got a red fastback. That was one cool looking car. I got a '67 convertible about 30 years ago. It went from a 10 year daily driver to 10 years of occasional use to 10 years as a storage shelf in the garage. I just finished its restoration this winter. I then needed a new project and I wanted fenders, flathead and split windshield, hence the 41 ford pickup. I have to say I get one comment on the Mustang for every four that I get with the truck.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #27
Wick

I've never Driven one of the 60 era Mustangs but I sure did like to out run them!
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #28
Clem Clement

We have a '64 1/2 Rangoon red ragtop. Love it. My Kansas City son is very proud of that car. He distresses by working on it. It is a late April car.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #29
SteveB31

I dont remember anything......because I was not yet born. Guess i am not old enough for this thread.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #30
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim galli View Post
A guy 4 doors up from us got a dark green K coupe. 271 hp solid lifters with the special flag on the fender. Us kids were drooling. I was a T-Bird snob, but even I was impressed with the K model. I do remember laughing at the thought that anyone would ever get excited about and collect / restore a common as dirt mustang.

I sure wish I still had the Cobra and would still like to make a K coupe. I too am a big fan of the T-birds, Early Birds that is.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #31
Terry,NJ

That it cost only $2368 (Bare bones) somehow I never got too excited over them. My Dad bought a 1966, 6cyl and it never idled right. Other than that, It was ok.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:59 PM   #32
Growley bear

I owned TWO; Fool me once ( 16 ) shame on you, Fool me twice ( 23 ) shame on ME. You couldn't run fast enough to give me a train load of 'em.

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:14 PM   #33
Tom Wesenberg

I thought of them as a reshaped Falcon. I had a customer bring one in for a tuneup, and I test drove it before doing any work, just to see if it had any particular problem. I came back and told the boss that it felt pretty weak for a 6 cylinder, only to pop the hood and find it was a V8. I would rather own a turbocharged Corvair.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:21 AM   #34
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
I ordered a Mustang Coupe soon after their introduction and it took several months to get it. I still own it and it has been continuously registered and driven. It still has its original paint, original upholstery, and has had nothing replaced under the hood except radiator hoses and distributor cap. There is no Ford dealer near me so I had no participation in introduction day and did not see one until several weeks after introduction. In the 1970's four of my children had 1965 Mustangs at the same time, but theirs are long since gone and Dad's remains. Mine has one option that I ordered and seldom see in other Mustangs, a pin stripe. With a pin stripe the rear fender metal piece was deleted.
This is exciting. One owner, orginal car, what a thrill.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:06 AM   #35
colin1928

Still got mine it was a old race car once put back on the road now
when I got it had a tunnel port 289 that is 1 strong engine lots of top end HP I tried real hard to make run on the street but in the end just built a real nice HiPo 289 for it
Mustang and A Models Are 2 of my Landmark Cars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cruise-night201212-147.jpg (66.0 KB, 14 views)
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #36
Growley bear

The Mustang in my opinion is like a Tillotson Model A carburetor. Some people swear by them and some people swear at them.

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #37
redmodelt

I had just turned 8 a couple of days before that. Was having fun doing kids stuff and school. The Mustang coming out was no big deal in our family or friends. My sister did have a base model 67 6 cylinder coupe in the later 70's, I thought it was a bit of a dog to drive to tell the truth.

Last edited by redmodelt; 04-16-2014 at 10:42 AM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #38
Skeezixx

I had a fellow offer to trade me his then about 8 month old 65 mustang for my 1931 Tudor Model A. I accepted and would have until he brought his wife who staged a very loud coniption fit right there in my driveway.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #39
FL&WVMIKE

My very vivid memory of the introduction of the 1964 Mustang was at The Natinal Meet of the Model A Ford Club in Louisville, Kentucky in 1964.
They did not have any Mustangs there, but the Ford Motor Company sent some executives there to tell, all about it, and gave out some literature and these pins.
MIKE (mikeburch)
CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE - Twice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MustangPins.jpg (451.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg MustangPin.jpg (481.0 KB, 15 views)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #40
raprice22

My wife and I first saw the Mustang at the Ford exhibit at the NY Worlds' Fair in '64. We ended up buying a '67 Mustang with the more powerful six cylinder engine and automatic trans for my wife. We really enjoyed that car and drove it all over. When we had our first son in '73, the Mustang wasn't practical for carrying the baby's stuff, so we sold it to our nephew who was in college and needed a car. He loved it. We ended up buying a Dodge Dart Convertriple coupe, also a nice car, but it was no Mustang. It had a fold down rear seat like a station wagon and was very practical. I've always regretted getting rid of our Mustang. I wish we still owned it. Of the many cars we've owned over the years, I can truly say that the one car we really loved was that Mustang.
Rog
raprice22 is offline   Reply With Quote