Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #1
Deluxe Delivery Don

Default Acme Valve Stems for Fine Point ?

I was reading in the Judging Standards about the Acme Valves that they were used or provided for Service Only. Could someone explain what that means. I have an opportunity to get my hands on so really nice Set of them ,but I not familiar with them has much has the Schrader or Dill's. Would the Acme's be good for a Fine Point Judging ? I just need to make sure before I purchase them . The ones that I am looking at are for the right date of car. Another Question ,If these are the High Quality that I have been told, do you guys have an idea about what they should sell for. $ 4-5-6-7-8-900.00. I know they are not cheap, but I have been looking for a long time, and just want to make the right move. Thanks for any suggestions that you my have .
Deluxe Delivery Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Acme Valve Stems for Fine Point ?

There was a thread a while back about the Acme valves. although it had to do with reproductions being made, there was a lot of judging information in that thread.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:32 AM   #3
Gary Karr

If what you are considering are correct for your restoration and in good condition, go for them. Acme stems are super hard to find.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:46 AM   #4
Deluxe Delivery Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
If what you are considering are correct for your restoration and in good condition, go for them. Acme stems are super hard to find.
Thanks Gary, But do you know why there in the Standards has for Service Only ?
Old 03-29-2014, 12:59 AM   #5
Gary Karr

I believe that the service only stems were the unplated brass stems.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:22 AM   #6
peters180a/170b

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
ACME STEM are fine. I have them on my 180A [ Henry Ford Award] . The Story goes a bucket was found years ago in a junk yard filled with N.O.S. stems in MINT cond.... Problem was they found just the STEMS,CAP [ 1 ONLY CAP had the air valve remover{spare tire}and the others have a full cap ] "no" dust covers. It was impossible to find a complete set of dust covers anywhere. Over the past 5 years i was able to put together 1 set of covers{1 here and 1 there]...I found a guy who worked with me to remake the dust covers 5 years ago.They did past for Fine Point Judging.I have 2 sets left with 1 set pending a sale. {and if D. Bixby don't get off his butt he will loose out of that set.]So yes ,,they are a super set and never a question as being a reproduction STEM./ CAP. [not like the Schrader which are widely reproduced].I had complete set of Dills on my Roadster which was a lucky find . If the full set is ready to go plated i would say $125.00 per stem. They are hard to have plated. The stamping is very weak and a plater can screw them up...

Last edited by peters180a/170b; 03-29-2014 at 05:29 AM.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Deluxe Delivery Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wastler View Post
Is this the stem, Acme tr-80? Minus dust cap of course..

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...999#post336999
Steve ,that looks like TR-80 ,which is for Late 1929,and the ones I am looking at are the TR -83, which according the the Standards there is a 1/4" difference in height,being the TR-80 is 1/4" longer than the TR-83.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe Delivery Don View Post
I was reading in the Judging Standards about the Acme Valves that they were used or provided for Service Only. Could someone explain what that means. I have an opportunity to get my hands on so really nice Set of them ,but I not familiar with them has much has the Schrader or Dill's. Would the Acme's be good for a Fine Point Judging ? I just need to make sure before I purchase them . The ones that I am looking at are for the right date of car. Another Question ,If these are the High Quality that I have been told, do you guys have an idea about what they should sell for. $ 4-5-6-7-8-900.00. I know they are not cheap, but I have been looking for a long time, and just want to make the right move. Thanks for any suggestions that you my have .
DON ...................
I believe that "For Service", means that they were not original equipment, but provided, at the dealership, for replacement.
I have a really nice waterpump, with the part number, cast right on it. It was not original equipment, but a gunuine Ford replacement part, by the dealership. I think it is very good looking. I like it !
MIKE (mikeburch)

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 04-02-2014 at 01:56 PM.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
FL&WVMIKE

I wish that, whoever writes the Judging Standards, is working on providing photographs of these rare parts for the next revision.
I have no idea what the Dill covers look like.
I have a Dill box with two NOS dust covers, which I think might fit an "A", but I don't know if they are right or not. I would like to know. I have several used ones, too.
I found a NOS Dill #718 bridge washer in my misc. bag. I could photograph it, if wanted. The JSs says they are correct.
MIKE (mikeburch)

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 04-03-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
FL&WVMIKE

STEVE ...................
Good job ! How about the Acme ? Do you have any of those ?
Maybe, we could get some photos into the next JSs.
I think that I might have some unmarked ones in my stash. I'll, now, have to check.
Thank you Steve,
MIKE (mikeburch)
Old 04-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
Deluxe Delivery Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
STEVE ...................
Good job ! How about the Acme ? Do you have any of those ?
Maybe, we could get some photos into the next JSs.
I think that I might have some unmarked ones in my stash. I'll, now, have to check.
Thank you Steve,
MIKE (mikeburch)
Mike, The Acme's don't have any markings either. In about a week or so I will have some Acme's to take pictures for you and the J S .
Old 04-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
peters180a/170b

It's too bad you guy's don't know how to click on my name or anyone else when posting...If you click on my name [ peters180a/170b ] you will see in my photo album[PUBLIC PROFILE] a pair of N.O.S. RESTORED ACME valve stem with the FULL CAP & VALVE REMOVER CAP. There is also a ORIGINAL dust cover and the one's i had made 5 years ago. As MANY people stated,,, the N.O.S. Stems were selling for $75.00 to $105.00 a set of 5 but with NO dust covers... I had the covers made 5 years ago and the price went up on these SUPER STEMS. AS i read the Judging Standards i see ACME was used as a "service only" ON THE TR-83A which are not for Model "A"s as original..AND as the Judging standards state TR-83 WAS USED FROM {JANUARY 1930 THROUGH END OF PRODUCTION" ! ] 22-6 revised 2011 !
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #13
FL&WVMIKE

Here are a couple photos of my NOS Dill Bridge Washer.
The Judging Standards say that Dill Numbers 701, 702 & 718 are correct for the "A" Model.
MIKE (mikeburch)
CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE - Twice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DillBridge Washer1.jpg (39.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DillBridgeWasher2.jpg (39.9 KB, 11 views)