Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #21
wrndln

Default Re: Mice in you A during winter.

I will post this again like last year when the mouse thing came up. I used dryer sheets in one of my cars and the meese made a nest with them. They were the strongly scented type. Their nest did smell good, however. Needless to say, I don't use dryer sheet any more. I agree with other posters that old fashion mothballs work very well. I put some in plastic disposable pie pans with plastic covers on them. I drill a bunch of 1/4" holes in the plastic cover to let some of the smell out, but preserve the mothballs for much longer than just in the open air before they evaporate. The third thing I have tried and and seems to work well, is take some aluminum foil (the wide stuff) and place it under the tires. Mice don't like aluminum. I also put it under the overhead door bottoms to hopefully keep them from even entering the shop. I also place the pie pans with mothballs in them near the doors to hopefully repel them.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #22
karasmer

I think I like the 5 gallon bucket idea with a ramp for them to get in, water or..inside. I just moved a bucket I had in the garage and there were three dead at the bottom (no water). I Do not like the idea of mothballs at all, hate the smell and the younger generations think that's the smell of old and mold.
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #23
BlueSunoco

All good ideas posted here. Our 24# Maine Coon Tom (and he's not fat, just a BIG cat) hates mice-squirrels-and even dogs, is a great mouser nothing lives within 50 feet of our garage.

NEVER had a critter problem since Kitty took up residence of course you have to keep everything covered in old blankets but that's better than mice ruining the old cars.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #24
cw253748

I use a product called "Fresh Cab". It smells like pine and I've used it a couple years and I haven't had any mouse issues. Plus it smells like pine trees and is way better smelling then mothballs. Just my 2 cents.
cw253748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #25
CC33

Personally, I can't stand the smell of moth balls in the car. I have always had good luck with spring traps and peanut butter. I tried glue traps once. However, note to self, they are not designed to be re-used. I remember once catching a mouse in a glue trap and pulled him off of it. In one hand I had a legless mouse, and in the other a glue trap with four legs.

Also get a can of that expanding foam at Home Depot or Lowes. Seal up any holes or cracks in the garage now before the colder weather sets in.

I worked for the telephone company for almost 30 years. Mice are incredibly destructive to telephone wiring. The buried telephone cable has pedestals where the cable is connected to the home subscriber. Mice use these pedestals as a mouse house. They chew all of the insulation off the conductors and nest within the splice. They also urinate into their own nesting material. This is EXTREMELY hazardous when removing the debris. Never disturb a mouse nest without the proper mask. The urine crystalizes and becomes airborne, causing irreversible lung disease. Always spray the nesting with any water based liquid to prevent airborne particles.

As far as mice climbing on floor jacks. I have found mice in aerial telephone splices 35 feet up a telephone pole.
CC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

Friend, Michael, fed & watered a stray cat on the porch & he stayed & slept on the porch. After a few days, there were always 1 to 4 DEAD mice on display on the front lawn!! NOW the cat even has his own kitty door & a real name!
Bill W. (that's my name, not the cat's name!)
Old 10-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #27
roccaas

Old 10-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #28
CC33

HAHAHAHA, I need a cat like that!
CC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #29
Mitch//pa
BANNED

first step is to give your cat a lions hair cut. then have your cat pump some iron and it will scare the hell out of those mice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (39.6 KB, 13 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #30
roccaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC33 View Post
HAHAHAHA, I need a cat like that!
Catlashnikov
Old 10-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #31
billwill

I use Irish Spring halr front haft rear and haft in trunk
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote