Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Kube

Default More reproduction cr-p

Hey Bob, are you out there? If so, how about publicly defending your
(mis) representation of parts?
This time, two cases in point:
1) Battery box for 1939 Ford Deluxe.
Pictured in your catalog is a complete assembly. In the text it is clear that "battery tray with correct mounting brackets attached".
Hmmm... funny but the one I received needed to be assembled. I am quite capable of peening rivets in to place, but this certainly isn't the one in your catalog.
2) Floor board seals, '39 Ford. Are you kidding me? Must be that your '39 Ford has larger floor boards then mine. The seals simply fit terribly. I had to cut about an inch from the top edge and 3/4" from each side.
Yeah, I can do that too. Still, NOT what is described in your glossy catalog.

Barn guys: I realize a few of you will tell me that "oh, where would we be without guys like Bob?" Well, that is NOT the point. The POINT is to either sell what you are representing a particular part to be or change the listing to (example) "kind of fits", and / or "some assembly required".

Once again it comes down to business and / or personal ethics. I could care less where this stuff is made. That too is NOT the point. The person / company selling it is the one responsible for the quality or in these two cases, the lack thereof.

I am just plain tired of being sold one thing and getting another.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: More reproduction cr-p

Kube, maybe Bob Drake got a new supplier for the parts you ordered... I put a set of his '39 floor board seals in our '39 CS several years ago and they fit just like they grew there. I can't comment on his battery tray as the one in our '39 is the one that came with the car. However (this may be a comparison of apples and oranges) the battery try I got from Bob Drake for our '51 F-1 was exactly as represented and a perfect fit. I will admit that sometimes representations can be somewhat misleading but Bob Drake certainly does not have a monopoly in that category. I can relate as it is frustrating when you receive a part and it is not up to the caliber of the original piece.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
2935ford

It is very frustrating to pay for and have shipped an inferior part when you expect something other than. I have several of these on my shelf that will never get used but not worth the expense of returning.

Don't know about the rest of you out there.
I try to find original first when not possible. I already know I'm not going to get a repop part like the original. Some parts are close but most......

I must agree descriptions that say "some fitment required" or "not exact" would better serve us the buyer. Some suppliers do make mention like these in there catalogs.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Barry-ct

Why are they willing to sell something that is "close" to fitting or has to be altered to fit? What are they using for the pattern? Don't they use an original part or in the case of a floor seal use a section of the floor to design it to fit correctly? It makes you wonder if they even check the repo part for correct fit before they sell them or toss them on the shelf and just fill orders. It reminds me of the old saying.... Close enough for government work............That's why I will try to locate a good original part or rebuild what I have so I know it will fit. I use the repo stuff as a last resort. I know you can't use the original seals, soft parts, etc..., and I'm glad someone goes to the trouble to reproduce them but for crying out loud... make sure it fits correctly before you peddle this stuff. We pay enough for the stuff, make it right!!

50 F-1
Old 06-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
37don

I bought a set of hood hinges for a 37 ford about 5 yrs ago from Drake and couldn't close the hood. Put the old ones back on they were fine. The new ones sit on a shelf in the basement. They were off a mile!
Don.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Fe26

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote: "Close enough for Government work"

Near enough for a rough guy

Close enough for a blind man

Near enough is good enough

You could drive a bus through that gap

These were all commonly used expressions in the Forge where I did my time.

Any others you have to share?

Kube, sorry if I've hijacked or diverted your thread.

I'm with you on this, particularly if there is an alternate supplier who does have the right thing built the right way. If this part is for a customers car, then he is paying good money for unnessesary work. If the parts are accurately described (additional work required for example) then the costs of assembly etc can be allowed for and explained (if that becomes nessesary). It all comes down to professionalism and reputation, by these two important things does a business stand.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
al pa.

New supplier or not,the parts should be inspected before the sale.It's easy to pass the buck to someone else.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
bobH

This sounds like another case of 'some of us are VERY satisfied, and some of us can NEVER be satisfied'....
I just (within the last couple months) have put on several of bob's parts on my 34, and I couldn't be happier. The parts were/are EXACTLY as described, were/are of EXCELLENT quality, and fit as though they were born there. I'd recommend bob's stuff, at least the stuff that I've tried, to anyone.
Now, having said that, if you want me to bad-mouth one of our suppliers, there is another major one that I would bad-mouth in a heartbeat. But, that's another thread, one that has been 'beat' previously, many times.

For the list, started by Fe26.... This is one from my neighborhood....
good enough.... can't see it from the post office.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
41ford1

Fe26, How is this:
Measured with a micrometer, marked with chaulk, cut with an axe, hammered to fit, and painted to match. She's good to go!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
Fe26, How is this:
Measured with a micrometer, marked with chaulk, cut with an axe, hammered to fit, and painted to match. She's good to go!
Chuck, sound like you've been peakin' in my garage... LOL
Old 06-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Kube, just wondering....have you spoken to Drake about these problems with his parts that you are posting about here? If you did...what was his response? If you didn't...why wouldn't you have talked to him first? Maybe there is a reasonable explanation for these problems. Sometimes it's beneficial to both the supplier and the customer work together on these issues. I am definitely one who will admit to being extremely happy that Bob Drake is making reproduction parts for the cars I own.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 06-13-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling corrections :) & additional comments added
Old 06-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Kube, just wondering....have you spoken to Drake about these problems with his parts that you are posting about here? If you did...what was his response? If you didn't...why wouldn't you have talked to him first? Maybe there is a reasonable explanation for these problems. Sometimes it's beneficial to both the supplier and the customer work together on these issues. I am definitely one who will admit to being extremely happy that Bob Drake is making reproduction parts for the cars I own.
Hi John, #1) I don't buy from Bob as I am tired of his poor business ethics. I don't need anything so bad as to deal with a snake oil salesman.
#2) Why would I bother speaking to him? So I can hear what many others have heard? "Oh, you're the first person to tell us this".
He knows what he sells. Or, he should.
You can bet he has one of his minions watching this and other sites for posts in this and similar regards. Like the one about his water pumps a couple of years ago, he ONLY acted once more than a dozen guys climbed aboard and said they'd received the same old line "your the first guy, blah, blah, blah..."
Sure Bob has helped many of us and for that I am thankful. However, don't forget how many guys he took money from and knowingly sold them crap.

I only wish the numerous guys that have sent me private messages would POST them. Maybe then, just maybe things would change.
My bottom line remain a matter of ethics. It's as simple as that. When and if I sell something that I may have made a mistake on the description or even it was thought by the buyer I did not represent something correctly, I handle it and handle it to the buyers satisfaction. If one of my employees sells something or misrepresents something (rarely happens as I use a thing called "proper training") I take the hit. It is after all my company and MY responsibility.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #13
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Hi John, #1) I don't buy from Bob as I am tired of his poor business ethics. I don't need anything so bad as to deal with a snake oil salesman.
#2) Why would I bother speaking to him? So I can hear what many others have heard? "Oh, you're the first person to tell us this".
He knows what he sells. Or, he should.
You can bet he has one of his minions watching this and other sites for posts in this and similar regards. Like the one about his water pumps a couple of years ago, he ONLY acted once more than a dozen guys climbed aboard and said they'd received the same old line "your the first guy, blah, blah, blah..."
Sure Bob has helped many of us and for that I am thankful. However, don't forget how many guys he took money from and knowingly sold them crap.

I only wish the numerous guys that have sent me private messages would POST them. Maybe then, just maybe things would change.
My bottom line remain a matter of ethics. It's as simple as that. When and if I sell something that I may have made a mistake on the description or even it was thought by the buyer I did not represent something correctly, I handle it and handle it to the buyers satisfaction. If one of my employees sells something or misrepresents something (rarely happens as I use a thing called "proper training") I take the hit. It is after all my company and MY responsibility.
So you would be quite happy for someone to badmouth your company on a public forum without giving you the courtesy of first reply? Strange ethics....
Old 06-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #14
sonny

I have to agree with you Bassman.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #15
jimTN

Agree also, due process should be pursued. I suspect Drake is no longer producing or contracting for all the parts he sells as there are very few manfacturers in the business. This means that usually if one vendor has a faulty part, most of the rest will.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #16
Mike51Merc

Kube,

Sounds like a legitimate gripe, but I disagree with the way you're handling it, especially post #12. Slamming and name calling isn't helping anyone, especially seeing that Drake has supporters in the crowd.

I've politely reported issues to sellers. They were thankful and I got rewarded by them for it (freebies). All your gonna get with your attitude is sour grapes.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."
Old 06-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #17
Kube

I'll stand behind my opinions and the way I have expressed them. They are all quite honest with no exaggeration.
A couple of you miss my point... HIS name is on the box, who gives a s--- where he had the stuff made? HE'S selling it and HE'S stating it is something other then it is.
My #12 post is also quite factual. Some of you may recall that water pump fiasco.
Maybe I am in the minority here... if so, I will stand proud.
I do not take lightly being lied to and / or cheated.

Last edited by Kube; 06-14-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #18
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I'll stand behind my opinions and the way I have expressed them. They are all quite honest with no exaggeration.
A couple of you miss my point... HIS name is on the box, who gives a s--- where he had the stuff made? HE'S selling it and HE'S stating it is something other then it is.
My #12 post is also quite factual. Some of you may recall that water pump fiasco.
Maybe I am in the minority here... if so, I will stand proud.
I do not take lightly being lied to and / or cheated.
I apologize, I guess you're right after all.

Calling someone a "snake oil salesman" or "unethical" couldn't possibly be an exaggeration or inflammatory. Calling employees "minions" is a great way to make friends and influence people.

Presupposing what he might say (your #2) if you contact him is honest enough. Why bother letting him talk when you can talk for him?

Saying you've been lied to and cheated is a great conversation starter.

Look, you may be 100% right but I stand by my opinion that you are handling this about as well as an angry child would.

Don't like the product? Return it for a refund and take your business elsewhere. Unhappy with product description? Tell the seller, and if you get no relief, then tell your friends (perhaps us?). Calling the guy names makes me think there's something wrong with the name-caller.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #19
sonny

Ditto!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #20
41LjH

I'm new to old Fords, but not to turning wrenches. I found out pretty quick that:
1. The parts probably won't fit out of the box
2. In most cases I know more about what I am ordering than the company I am ordering from.
3. Very few suppliers admit their mistakes.
4. I have the HONOR ? of being "the first problem" the supplier has ever had many, many times. (BTW I don't care how many of something they have sold)
5. I spend a lot of time and money returning things that are wrong.

That being said I cannot figure out anything to do about it.... Unfortunately because we have become a price driven society this practice will not get any better
I defend your right to complain and agree with what you have said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
Closed Thread