Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
Bob Drake Repro

Default Bob Drake - why overseas?

To clear up some misconceptions about some previous posts made here regarding our parts being made overseas. Not “all” of my parts are made in China, in fact, very few are. Yes, we have a number of parts manufactured in Taiwan by original equipment manufacturer vendors. We still have a large presence in USA manufacturing as well (mostly in the Los Angeles to Seattle corridor). We even had our own in house mold shop for years, with 8 qualified mold makers. Well, times change and you have to change with the times. We personally don’t like importing any more than a lot of you. We continue to support USA manufacturing companies and source our products with them whenever it makes good business sense.

When I first started in 1971 it was very easy to find USA vendors that could run our products in the kinds of small quantities that we needed and with very good quality. Many of these vendors are still great friends today. In the past few years, I have seen a major downturn in American manufacturing. We personally have lost 4 die casters, numerous rubber companies, stamping companies, chrome shops (you all know how hard it is to find a good chrome shop)… many of these companies just shut down. We were forced to look elsewhere or give it up ourselves.

We continue to do a lot of the hands on manufacturing and assembly that we always have done, we still have control over the quality and design of our parts. We have a great team at our 3 facilities in Southern Oregon, in support positions like Research & Development, Engineering, Purchasing, Assembly, Sales, Art, etc.

As far as my running boards go, yeah, we had them made in China. Spent 3 years sourcing 7 vendors within a 100 mile radius to do the tooling, stamping, plating, rubber presses, box company, etc. Our in house, American engineer did all the CAD work and supervised the entire project. Another 2 years to have the tooling made, tested and production ran. I consider this one of our best accomplishments to date. We finished 5 different boards in just over 2 years. The cost to do this was more than most of you can imagine, I couldn’t estimate what the cost would be if these could even be made these in the USA. My guess is it would be ten-fold.

But it’s not only money, remember, these boards were done the same way as Henry Ford’s vulcanization method, by compressing rubber to the board under extreme pressure. I don’t even think these large presses needed for this project exist in the USA today, they are obsolete here. Our 1940 deluxe and standard grilles are another example. Huge zinc die cast machines are needed to produce these parts. Once again, these machines don’t exist here. Today’s grilles are made from plastic or composite material.

The specialized manufacturing processes that were done in the USA years ago have all but disappeared. The expertise has also, there’s not much trade curriculum being taught in the USA anymore. Ford used a wire “bead” in their fenders. The crimping to put this wire in place was done by a Magee machine. That machine isn’t even around anymore much less the guy that knows how to use it.

If any of you think this has anything to do with “greed”, think again. We re-invest a majority of profit into new products. We finished 200+ new products for the early Ford car and truck market last year. Showing our passion and commitment to “Keeping the Ford Spirit Alive”.

Bob
Old 02-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: Bob Drake - why overseas?

Well said Bob
Old 02-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Fordors

Thank you Bob, that explains things very clearly.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
35window

I purchased a set of your Running Boards recently, and I am very happy with the quality-thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
Marv

I waited 44 years for someone to make 39 Ford Standard grille centers and Bob was the only one to do it. Now he has the Hood handle and base and i will have to buy that. Thanks Bob Marv
Old 02-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
HOTRODPRIMER

With so many businesses going belly up in this floundering economy having to resort to import is the difference between survival and bankruptcy.

Do I like it?,,Heck no and I'm willing to bet Bob doesn't ether but you got to do what you have to do if you are going to remain in business.

I have bought 2 sets of 32 running boards from you in the past 5 years,,the quality is fantastic and fit is identical to the originals that were removed.

The shoe box covers,regardless if they are produced in the good old USA or imported have never fit well and don't look right in my opinion,vulcanized is the only way to go ,but some guys are not willing to step up to the plate and pay for a quality piece and then complain about quality.HRP
Old 02-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
Craig CT

Hi Mr. Drake; Did you have a question about a car? Craig.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Ken/Alabama

Thanks Bob, My only wish is that you could reproduce some of the early Lincoln Zephyr parts that are soooo hard to come by. But I do understand that its a matter of supply and demand , there just isnt many 39 Zephyrs around thats being restored.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Thanks Bob, My only wish is that you could reproduce some of the early Lincoln Zephyr parts that are soooo hard to come by. But I do understand that its a matter of supply and demand , there just isnt many 39 Zephyrs around thats being restored.
I'm with you Ken, It would be nice to be able to get all or most of the rubber parts (including running board covers) needed for our '39 Zephyr Convertible Club Coupe, to say nothing about taillight bezels, headlight trim, stainless trim, etc., etc. Vic
Old 02-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
Shadetree

Bob,
Very well written! The average enthusiast does not see this end of your business. I have a better appreciation for what you do.
Shadetree
Old 02-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
bobscogin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODPRIMER View Post
I have bought 2 sets of 32 running boards from you in the past 5 years,,the quality is fantastic and fit is identical to the originals that were removed.
Proving that when the company buying the parts cares about quality, and demands it from a vendor, the Chinese can provide it. Bob Drake should be commended for this, not condemned for having much needed, hard to find parts made in China.

Bob
Old 02-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
dizzydale

Hey Vic,I had a set of 39 Zephyr running boards vulcanized by Mr.Hunley Acuff.Yes they were perfect and for what i would consider reasonable dollars,cause he is the only guy on the planet providing this service.diz
Old 02-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #13
jim1932

I am new here so I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself. I welcome the comments from vendors on the issues they face trying to provide us with a niche product with out going broke. It is the same old story...people scream for US made goods but won't pay for it. Is the item made in china? maybe, are 20 us citizens employed to be able to provide it to you? probably. Ask Bob how many US employees and contractors he pays. Stop focusing on the manufacturing and focus on the company itself.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
34billct

I think it is fantastic that you can buy parts for a 76 year old car at a fair price. If Bob Drake and men like them did not do this hobby would be only for the vary rich! Thanks Bob.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #15
34ragtop

thanks for making the parts we need, there would be a lot of cars out there that would not be on the road without your parts..............
Old 02-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #16
Frank The Plumber

No thanks I'll pass on the kool aid, I would die to keep this country free, the least I can do is pay a few more dollars for a part to keep my brothers working.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #17
32phil

If we all think for a moment about what Bob is saying we will realize we only have ourselves to blame. What kind of car are you driving today? Your wife/kids/neighbors? Today, many "foreign" cars are made here. That was not the case just 15-20 years ago. All the foreign cars were made overseas. If I remember correctly they started making some Toyotas in Ohio, that was it. We handed them our expertise then our money and then our jobs. The lost ability Bob mentions is because the work dried up. Pay attention when you spend your hard earned money, Buy American when you can. The reason is becoming painfully obvious. I love when the politicians say they are going to create good manfacturing jobs. Jobs ? Doing what? We don't make anything here anymore. So don't blame Bob, we should all thank him. I tell him every year at Hershey, I appreciate what he does for the old Ford hobby.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #18
felix37

Bob,I appreciate all you do for our hobby,I have bought many parts from you over the past few years and have always found you approachable when visiting your booth at the nationals.Thanks for all you and your employees do!!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #19
Ralph Moore

BoB,

I hear alot of what you are saying every week when I talk to my Dad. He is a pattern maker, a true craftsman, many-most people I talk to nowadays don't even know what a pattern maker is. But without pattern makers Mr Ford would not have been able to do what he did. It is a dying art in this country.
I only wish I would have paid more attention to him when I was younger.
It's not just the Chinese, the whole world is changing, maybe that's why I love old things so much, it reminds me of a much simpler time.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #20
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig CT View Post
Hi Mr. Drake; Did you have a question about a car? Craig.
Craig, I think this was a far more informative post than many posted on this site. He has addressed many accusations made towards his and other suppliers of parts for us to use in our hobby. I and many others really do appreciate what he and other suppliers do for us. Are all of your posts about a car? Please get over it and have fun here.
Closed Thread