Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
35 coupe

Default Drake's 2-3 month back-order

Went to place a couple hundred dollar order at Drake' s today for my 35 coupe and the first two items were out of stock, and the sales person told me they would not be in for 2-3 months, so no sense ordering anything else if it related to those items. Have to try else where. Wonder where those parts are being made. Anybody else waiit that long for parts that are listed in a current catalog.
35 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
bills1020

Default Re: Drake's 2-3 month back-order

What parts are you looking for ??
bills1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
35 coupe

Started out with windshield setting tape 1/32'' and one of those new regulators he has advertised. I QUIT THERE. i WILL HAVE TO LOOK ELSEWHERE. i know I will have to look on ebay for the windshield regulator.
35 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Charlie ny
BANNED

"35,
Only 3 or 4 months....you must know someone there to get
that kind of service. I waited 2 months for windshield and rear window
weather stripping/seal. The windshield seal didn't fit quite right and the
rear window seal was way too big. After repeated calls I gave up and
went to MAC's in Lockport....he's near me.
Bob is sincere but some of the staff need a trip to the wood
shed.
OMHO !
Charlie ny

PS Don't ask about the fuel tank sending unit.
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
48Flyer

I tried ordering his" hotrod" windshield wiper blades and arms early this spring and was told "probably not this summer"
Thats where I quit
Macs has been good to me as well as Dennis Carpenter
48Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Bruce in southern OH

Order gas tank for 41 ford, unknown when would have tank, gas fill neck for truck, unknown delivery date, ordered from Macs, it was a Bob Drake tank and the gas fill neck Macs did not have, Bruce
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
MARVIN, CT

Any problems with his crab distributor caps? Just got one and it has some problems. Thanks, Marvin.
MARVIN, CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #8
Terry,OH

Marvin: Nothing wrong with NAPA crab cap, rotor, condenser. usually overnight to your local store. Cap=FA78
Terry,OH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #9
MARVIN, CT

Thanks, Terry, I'll give NAPA a visit today. Marvin
MARVIN, CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
Bob Drake Repro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 coupe View Post
Started out with windshield setting tape 1/32'' and one of those new regulators he has advertised. I QUIT THERE. i WILL HAVE TO LOOK ELSEWHERE. i know I will have to look on ebay for the windshield regulator.
35 coupe, we had an unexpected response to these regulators and were caught off guard with the demand. I just finished production on another run and I'm having 100 sent in by airmail, they are expected in our shop on the 7th of September with another couple hundred following in a month. We have 85 on backorder right now, so I would suggest getting on the list. Like any part we make, there is no obligation to you for a backorder. We do not collect any money up front and we notify you that it's in stock and you agree to have it shipped. Best regards, Bob
Bob Drake Repro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:13 AM   #11
Rebel Sympathy

Yeah. For sure, we'd all be much better off without a guy like that sorry Bob Drake. No doubt about that.

I really appreciate the man. I was in the toploader transmission (1960's Mustang, Fairlane, Falcon, Torino, Galaxie) rebuilding business for years. You bust your arse to do everything right and on time. One unfortunate circumstance (usually not something you can even control) and you are branded a "som' bich" forever.

Tell you what..... some of you critical guys get off your arses and start making a better gas tank for somewhere near the same money and I will buy yours. Otherwise......... head for the junkyard and find a nice original. What's that? There aren't any left? Oh, gee...... what are we going to do!??!

Seriously, what we ought to be doing is writing and calling Bob Drake, tactfully pointing out flaws while encouraging and thanking the man. We might get an improved product in the future as a result of our positive efforts.

Or not. But, it's worth a try.

Mike Durhan

Last edited by Rebel Sympathy; 09-01-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Rebel Sympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #12
sanborn

Amen to that!
sanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Sympathy View Post
Yeah. For sure, we'd all be much better off without a guy like that sorry Bob Drake. No doubt about that.

I really appreciate the man. I was in the toploader transmission (1960's Mustang, Fairlane, Falcon, Torino, Galaxie) rebuilding business for years. You bust your arse to do everything right and on time. One unfortunate circumstance (usually not something you can even control) and you are branded a "som' bich" forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Sympathy View Post

Tell you what..... some of you critical guys get off your arses and start making a better gas tank for somewhere near the same money and I will buy yours. Otherwise......... head for the junkyard and find a nice original. What's that? There aren't any left? Oh, gee...... what are we going to do!??!

Seriously, what we ought to be doing is writing and calling Bob Drake, tactfully pointing out flaws while encouraging and thanking the man. We might get an improved product in the future as a result of our positive efforts.
I might guess that this has happened numerous times. What we do get is more back orders and more sub quality parts. Perhaps just a bit too profit motivated?

Or not. But, it's worth a try.

Mike Durhan

Rebel, I agree with some of what you state. However, in my opinion this isn't about who or who does not make parts. It's about the claims those folks make. What I simply can't excuse is anyone advertising something that states, it fits, it appears, etc. just like Henry's when clearly it does not.
If it'll work but takes a bunch of work to make it fit, say so. Be honest!
Funny, but with (at least the initial run) of water pumps each and every guy that complained got the same "Oh, you're the first guy that's had trouble" BS.

As a side note: Has it occurred to anyone else that maybe, just maybe, Back Order Bob waits until he has enough 'sold orders' to manufacturer more???
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
1942deluxe

I manage a small Ford dealership.I can assure you we have parts on back order on a regular basis.That something is available for a car that was produced 75 years ago is in my opinion pretty neat.We are doing o.k. but we operating with 25% less staff than three years ago.In fact I just got done washing a car that is sold.Not looking for sympathy just saying being in business is not easy as it used to be.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #15
Chris Nelson

It is really easy to complain. I think everyone can find something to complain about. Do we really want to read about it? I don't think so. Rather than complain, complain, do something about it. If you can't get what you want from one source, get it from another. No other source? We golly gee. Maybe it's tougher to be in business than some think. Bob doesn't just snap his fingers to get another 500 of this or that and to have it it stock when only you order it. I have ordered thousands of dollars of stuff from Bob Drake and found that they have almost everything I needed. When they didn't, I waited till they did. Try ordering anything that is a replacement for a vehicle that is 60 or 70 years old and you have to expect it to take time. Again, complaining is easy. If business were as easy as complaining, everyone would all do it.
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #16
fottyjs

35 coupe.....Give Joes Antique Auto a call for the Windshield regulator ...he usually has them in stock...1-800-508-3980...fast delivery and great service....Jack
fottyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #17
JM 35 Sedan

I just recently placed sizable $$ orders with Bob Drake and Dennis Carpenter. My order from D.C. arrived in about one week with all but two items I had ordered. He didn't back order the unavailable items, he just indicated that they were out of stock and I would have to reorder these items at some later date. On my B.D. order I received an email saying that a couple items were out of stock and would have to be back ordered. They asked me to let them know if they should send the items that are available or hold the complete order until the BO items were available. I emailed back telling them to ship what they had and BO what they didn't have. I'm still waiting for the available parts to arrive. One item that is BO'ed is the '35-'36 windshield winding mechanism. This is not a complaint post. I'm just letting the original poster of this thread know how my orders from two different suppliers are being handled. I'm actually very grateful that both of these suppliers are in this business supplying parts for my old cars. For those who have complaints with BD, my suggestion would be to look him up in the members list and send him a PM or an email telling him about your problem. If Bob or someone else from the company doesn't respond, then start calling or writing a letter letting him know what's wrong. Complaining on an internet forum usually does not get a problem with a supplier resolved.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 09-01-2011 at 04:47 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #18
Deuce Man

Is anyone on this forum in touch with the current state of the economy in this country? In my boat business the majority of our suppliers cant afford to inventory nearly as much as they used to under our " normal" economy. Long waits for materials and parts are the norm. My friends in the construction industry are saying the same thing. These parts guys are doing a great job. I go back to before we had them, when it was either nos, or jc whitneys argentina repro stuff. I will take todays parts supp;iers and manufacturers over the old days anyday! Rich.
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #19
Wily Kyote

Bob Drake should be ashamed of himself. He should have on hand 800,000 of every item in his catalogue, and 500,00 copies of everything not in his catalogue that I might need some day. And he should have video-phones answered by scantily clad cheerleaders every time that I call. And he should offer two-for-the-price-of-one every change of the moon.

That's tongue-in-cheek of course. ...except... Bob, have you thought about those video-phones and those scantily clad...

And back-order, you say? Heck, forget it Bob. With your new video-phones, I'll just call back tomorrow. And the next day. I may even keep calling after my stuff is on the car...
Wily Kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:16 AM   #20
ford38v8

Wily, Have you ever ordered tires from Coker over the phone? I love the accent of those gals!