Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
a-bone newby

Default trailering

when chaining down a 30 tudor where to attach chains axle front and back or else where as i hope to get my car after 5 weeks thanks buds
a-bone newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
JohnLaVoy

Default Re: trailering

I've gone over the axles front and back for years, works well. I do use webbing rather than chains now, but used chains years ago.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
imacrazy

Glad to see you get an (A) hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
I always use straps , as not to scratch up the axles front and back. Straped forward and backward so it can't roll either way.
imacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
a-bone newby

cool thanks for the reply illl wrap cloth over the axles
a-bone newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
700rpm

Attach your webbing or chains around the axle where the spring perches are on the front axle, not in the middle, to avoid bending the axle.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
Fred K-OR

I cross the webbing on the back axle. But best to make sure they are always tight while traveling else may pull car to one side.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
180 a

I use straps over the tires like a tow dolly on all four wheels , that way you don't scratch your paint. Ron
180 a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #8
spdway1

Do NOT ever cross strap, if it breaks it will pull the vehicle to one side very fast and possibly off one side of the trailer or into the fender of the trailer. This is very dangerous in an enclosed trailer as the vehicle will be pulled up against the wall causing damage wile going down the road. I worked for one of the top 3 antique car transport companies, if we were caught cross strapping, we were fired. You never see new vehicles cross strapped!!
I have been hauling all types of motor vehicles for over 21 years.
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:19 PM   #9
tbirdtbird
BANNED

"I have been hauling all types of motor vehicles for over 21 years."

I hauled all kinds of vehicles, including heavy construction, for more than 30 yrs and we always cross strapped. If a strap breaks you have problems no matter what. Get decent straps for example from AW Direct which sells to the Towing and Recovery industry. Forget the HF chinese crappo kiddie straps.

By not cross strapping, your hauled vehicle can hop when you you hit a bump, and the car can end up dangerously close to the edge or side of the trailer and even be damaged this way. I have seen it happen.

We always used high-quality axle straps along with our ratchet straps. And as previousl;y stated, never from the middle of an I-Beam front axle, but from the perch area both sides

New cars are chained down and ratcheted very tightly compressing the suspension; a whole different technique
Old 08-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
ABento

And you may want to add that a frayed strap is cause for a ticket,don't put them over rough edges or sharp corners,Highway Patrol can hive a ticket for one frayed strap even if you have 10 straps on a load and 6 are over kill,If I have to use a strap I usually use a short axle strap with a protective sleeve over it to go around whatever I'm tying on to.
ABento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #11
spdway1

You are right, is a strap/chain breaks either way you will have a problem. Moving heavy construction equipment is different than moving a 3500+/- vehicle.
I have seen many one of a kind cars come into concourse shows pulled into the side of the trailers and "Rode the wall" for hundreds of miles from being crossed strapped...Good way to wreck a fun expensive weekend"

New cars are NOW tied down from either around the tire or threw the rim. But you have never seen them crossed strapped/chained from the factory.

Macs custom tie downs is what we use, great USA people. Good luck on whatever method you choose. Keep on transporting!
Old 08-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #12
GrandpasA

I use chains with a some sort of cloth over the axles, I don't trust straps, had one break one time...
GrandpasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

cross strapped or straight strapped is a controversial subject that comes up now and then.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 08-17-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #14
Bill's Auto Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post
Do NOT ever cross strap, if it breaks it will pull the vehicle to one side very fast and possibly off one side of the trailer or into the fender of the trailer. This is very dangerous in an enclosed trailer as the vehicle will be pulled up against the wall causing damage wile going down the road. I worked for one of the top 3 antique car transport companies, if we were caught cross strapping, we were fired. You never see new vehicles cross strapped!!
I have been hauling all types of motor vehicles for over 21 years.

With all due respect, this is completely wrong. Cross strapping in the only way to properly tie down a car (if using straps)
First of all use good quality straps without tears or frays & they will never break. If one should happen to loosen up which almost never happens (tire loosing air is the most common reason) the vehicle will not be pulled off the trailer or barely move, once the other strap is slightly loosened that is as far as it will go.
This is my 30th year of transporting with close to 3 million accident free transport miles & well over 1000 vehicles transported mostly single car open & enclosed including brand new $325,000 Bentleys as well as hundreds for Hamb members & Barn guys & I will not transport a vehicle unless all 4 straps are crossed
In all those years, I have never had a strap or winch cable break & have never damaged a vehicle on any of my trailers!

Last edited by Bill's Auto Works; 08-17-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Bill's Auto Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
Tim Armstrong

Most states require all 4 corners tied down, or you get a ticket.
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #16
spdway1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill's Auto Works View Post
With all due respect, this is completely wrong. Cross strapping in the only way to properly tie down a car (if using straps)
First of all use good quality straps without tears or frays & they will never break. If one should happen to loosen up which almost never happens (tire loosing air is the most common reason) the vehicle will not be pulled off the trailer or barely move, once the other strap is slightly loosened that is as far as it will go.
This is my 30th year of transporting with close to 3 million accident free transport miles & well over 1000 vehicles transported mostly single car open & enclosed including brand new $325,000 Bentleys as well as hundreds for Hamb members & Barn guys & I will not transport a vehicle unless all 4 straps are crossed
In all those years, I have never had a strap or winch cable break & have never damaged a vehicle on any of my trailers!
What is so wrong about it, you have your methods and I will stick to mine.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #17
nhusa

holly crap - how can this become a problem?

When I move a vehicle I always cross tie with straps.
Maybe wheel straps are better but I am setup for longer straps
I never use chains because they have no give.

I do as many suggest - that is from as close to the wheel as possible to the opposite side

when doing a T I make sure to not put a lot of stress on the ball at the end of the wishbone

Cross tying keeps the vehicle from moving sideways and front and back
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #18
nickair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180 a View Post
I use straps over the tires like a tow dolly on all four wheels , that way you don't scratch your paint. Ron
I have done the straps over the tires and securely blocked tires. Worked great for trailing.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
L.D.

I have 40 horses in the garage.
Only feed them when I want to take them out.

31 Model A Tudor 55B

Nick
nickair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:59 AM   #19
foxfire42

A couple years ago I was loaded ready to leave in the morning for AZ. A woman texting ran into the rear of my trailer and both rear CHAINS snapped. The A was slambed into the trailer wall. I now use straps. And yes the chains were the correct type for securing a vehicle.
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:28 AM   #20
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration does not state a specific method but rather states what that method should accomplish.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations...s-light-trucks

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations...cles-equipment