Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
nelsb01

Default Re: Who's been to The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village?

Yes by all means consider going to the birthplace of the Model T, the Piquette Plant.
www.tplex.org They have done considerable work and it is well worth the visit.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #22
Seth Swoboda

Wow, all good tips guys. I will take all of this into consideration. Thanks!
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #23
Byron Warwick

My girl friend and I, (she's my long suffering wife now), went to the Henry Ford Museum, shortly after I acquired my '34 Ford Pick-up, in 1957. We also made several trips across the border to go to Greenfield Village. We especially liked going to the gathering of pre 1927 cars at the September meet, in the Village. We drove from Leamington Ontario, about 60 miles. It was neat just to drive there and park the truck in the parking lot. We have taken our kids there several times and also a tour with our local British car club. I've also been to the tour of the Rouge. On this coming June 9th we are going with about 15 Brit cars to visit the Edsel and Eleanor Ford Estate at Grosse Point Shores. This is located north of Detroit on the shore of Lake St Clair. I'll go back to The Henry Ford again, perhaps we should take Merlot back again. Cheers, Byron.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1934 Ford truck 3.JPG (47.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #24
Motorhead6

Ditto to all of the above. Great experience; I've been there twice.

Word of caution. Make sure you get off at the right exit from the Interstate. Going into downtown Detroit could cost you your life!! Not kidding. The cops are idiots and are not there to help you find your way out of that crap hole.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #25
chuck stevens

Seth, Please keep us posted on your tour of Dearborn. I was there in the 1980's and would love to drive back out in one of my early v8s. I think even the ladys will like it.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #26
32 Model B

We went there last month on a family trip. Had a hard time convincing my wife to spend three days out of the kids spring vacation but once we were there she was amazed just like me and the kids. It's not just Ford stuff- it's everything American. There's huge trains, airplanes, hot rods, a complete and functioning diner inside the middle of the museum, there is Henrys monster power plant, etc., etc., etc. I could write a book here about the stuff that is there. And then another book on the Greenfield villiage. It was an awesome family trip. And don't forget to go to the Piquette factory in Detroit if you like "T's" or just early Ford history or to just stand in Henry's old office this is the place to go. Have Tom give you the tour. They also have one heck of a collection of pre-Model T cars. The original Ford Model A and the like. We drove out there from Connecticut and stopped at Niagara Falls on the way out.That is pretty awesome as well. Unfortunately the Canadians got the better side. Anyways, the trip is worth taking no matter how you come from.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #27
TonyM

Been there a couple times. The Museum is a whole day and Greenfield Village is another day. Like others have said, keep flexible so you can do Greenfield Village during a nice day. Always a great time. TonyM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #28
smitty city

ditto on the 3 or 4 days (or more). we went in 07 for the 75th anniversary get together honoring the 32 ford and the flathead v-8, had a great time, all the places mentioned above are a must see, in my book, take your time and soak it all up. the gift shops have the usuall tourist crap but also a lot of ford literature that is worthwhile adding to your library.
smitty city is offline   Reply With Quote