Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #21
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Why the insert fabric roof and not steel

I've also heard the same as post # 18 and #20. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #22
rodnut1

The body design did not allow for a full metal roof- perimeter skins over a hardwood frame, with the fabric top insert installed last, was definately the easiest method of closing the top. Steel roofs didn't appear until the technology was developed to stamp and assemble the body by welding, instead of using nails..
rodnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #23
Deluxe Delivery

I too have heard that the technology, or the tools available at the time could not produce the width of the panel necessary to make a roof. Yet the side panel of a 130 B, the Deluxe Delivery was one piece and more than big enough to cover a roof. All posts give insight into this often asked question. ( right after they ask...are those fenders black ?!!!)
Deluxe Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #24
WTSHNN

I have often doubted the argument that cited limitations of era production methods or the "couldn't produce something that size."

It would appear to me that if they were able to make a side panel large enough for a AA truck, they could make a roof for a coupe, tudor, even a fordor....

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #25
mot

isnt the passenger compartment roof on a town car delivery solid?
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #26
1930artdeco

I unsderstand the complexity of the compound curves being a good answer as they have to have one stamping and then fold it to make the sides. I personally think that it was more they were still doing things the 'coach' way. As for not being able to roll steel that wide I disagree for two reasons: WTSHNN's post of AA sides, and the fact that they could roll Aluminum for aircraft and boiler plate for ships and boilers. Just my two cents worth.

Mike
Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #27
Deluxe Delivery

I believe the town car delivery body was aluminum....not that that would make much difference in the size of the molds.
Deluxe Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #28
Cool Hand Lurker

I think the best explanation is that is the way they did it in those days. There are a lot of guys that use the old saying "this is the way we have always done it" but if you have done it wrong for 40 years it doesn't make it right. Evolution fights Subborness and in this case Evolution won out.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #29
WTSHNN

Just to add more to the rumor mill; I remember hearing it had to do with concerns about attracting and then retaining heat inside the vehicle.

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #30
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN View Post
Just to add more to the rumor mill; I remember hearing it had to do with concerns about attracting and then retaining heat inside the vehicle.

-Tim

Oh, I believe this one.
I mean just look at the detail and engineering Ford put into keeping heat from the muffler and exhaust system out of the passenger compartment.

MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #31
woodypecker

During the time the cars were manufactured it was easier to control body boom noise. A severe boom is when you have one window open in a new car and you get the boom boom sound. the fabric flexes and reduces noise.
woodypecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #32
coop39

i know this is an old thread but i thought id ask the question
i have a 1933 vicky with a full steel top and the bloke i bought it from had a 30 tudor with the same.these were from south america and he said they were factory fitted tops.can anyone clarify this.both cars do look factory because nothing else has been touched on them.
coop39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #33
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop39 View Post
i know this is an old thread but i thought id ask the question
i have a 1933 vicky with a full steel top and the bloke i bought it from had a 30 tudor with the same.these were from south america and he said they were factory fitted tops.can anyone clarify this.both cars do look factory because nothing else has been touched on them.

As you have read above it was not factory.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #34
spdway1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
Besides the steel stamping issues already noted, it was the standard in the industry for the time period. If you spent 17k on a new Springfield built Rolls Royce you would get the same thing except the roof covering was long grain GENUINE leather.
What is left to the Springfield, MA Rolls Royce factory is about 2 miles from me! The Indian Motorcycle Factory and the Springfield Armory are still standing and well!!! The Basketball Hall of Fame and the Dr. Suess Building are new! And the FIRST Durea was built here too!
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #35
Kevin in NJ

Something else to consider.

Did you ever think about how Ford spent a lot of time and money to switch over to the slant window all steel bodies for just about 9 months of production?

I believe the major reason was the steel body was much less labor intensive (=cheaper to build). So much so that they thought it worth while to do a major change for a reasonably short period of time. I believe that if they could have eliminated the labor of the wood roof they would have done it. There must have been a manufacturing or a life cycle reason why they never did it.

I will go a step further. The change to the turret top happened after they went to very rounded top. That would be much more structurally rigid and not likely to warp and tear seams like you would expect with a flat roof.

I do not know the reason, but those are my guesses.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #36
Doug in NJ

After replacing the wood, fabric, and moldings on my S/W roof, I was amazed how complicated and fiddly the process was. Especially for such a delicate part of the car that might have to be replaced more than once!
I saw a description of the roof of another early 30's car (Oldsmobile?), and I was surprised by how much simpler (and more leak-resistant) it was. The fabric was stretched around an inner wooden frame, sort of like an unfinished artist's canvas, and the assembly was set into the roof opening, and caulking was applied to the joint. It seems like this would be easier to repair, and the fixed wood inside the car body would not get messed up from all those tacks (for both the fabric and the molding) getting repeatedly removed and replaced.

Doug
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #37
Rowdy
BANNED

I actually thought it was to keep afew more people employed during the depression than anything else. Ford understood what our modern business men do not, Less Unemployment= More Sales. Rod
Old 01-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #38
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
I actually thought it was to keep afew more people employed during the depression than anything else. Ford understood what our modern business men do not, Less Unemployment= More Sales. Rod
Now, that's a slant I'd never thought about, but it makes sense, and could certainly be one of the reasons.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #39
Rowdy
BANNED

Tom, I had heard that one reason for so much wood still in the A bodies was to keep the lumberjacks and wood workers employed in the forests and shops Henrey owned. Ford had already proved in 1926 that he could produce a body with far less wood than what the A's have. Also I find it interesting to note there are far more 28-29 bodies and cars to be found in this area than 30-31's dispite higher production of 30-31 cars overall. This area was hard hit (still not as bad as areas to the South and West of here) by the dustbowl problems and the depression in general. Manufacturing centers like Detroit seemed to recover alittle faster and have a much higher volme of 30-31 body styles in the general area. Interesting this affect can still be observed to this day. Rod