Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Deuce Man

Default Flathead electric fuel pump

My flathead powered 32 has fuel problems after I run it a couple hours in the florida heat. I just sent away for an electric fuel pump should I run it through the mechanical pump, or bypass the original pump and plumb it directly to the carbs? Thanks Rich.
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Ken Bull

Default Re: Flathead electric fuel pump

I had one on My 40 Pickup for years (remove or cut 1" off top of push rod ) ran through mechanical pump to keep engine looks-some say it acts as a pressure regulator?? Recommend hook up pump on switch seperate of ignition so you can shut off & run Carb dry for short or long storage. My 36 will get same treatment for florida heat--Also sent Coil & Water Pumps to "Skip" for same reason. The pump I use is the Airtec E8902 6v-delivers 3.5-4 psi Good luck
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
Pete

Good plan to put a rollover/inertia switch in the power lead to the pump.
Shuts the pump off if you get bumped real hard or roll over.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
345 DeSoto

Leave your fuel pump hooked up/working, and install a 6V flow through type electric. I got mine from Sacramento Ford and have a toggle switch under the dash. Key on, switch on, and let the pump fill the carb, rather than using the starter to do it. Fires right up, then switch off. When idleing, or in the blazing sun, hit the switch...prevents vapor lock, and the pump is low enough pressure so that it won't overpower the carb float if you prefer to leave it on...or forget...
Old 05-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
41panelmark

I agree, I have one on my truck. Use it to prime or help with vapor lock. Works very well with the pump. I also got gaskets for the pump from Ken.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
Pat/Ohio

I also use the Airtex E8902 electric pump for priming and vapor lock conditions. I use the "momentary" toggle switch...which spings back to the "off" position when you let
go.

Another thought....I noticed an article in Hemmings this month that lists a website for gas stations that sell pure gasoline instead of the ethanol added gasoline. The ethanol gasoline has a lower boiling point than pure gasoline. Would probably help to keep you away from vapor lock.

Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Capn John

Depending on the pressure output of the electric pump it may over pressure the carb. You may need a pressure regulator to prevent that problem,
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
blucar

I have been running electric fuel pumps as a supplemental backup to aid in starting and/or overcome a vapor lock for over fifty years, on various makes and models of vehicles.
It is always best to locate the pump as close to the tank as possible, electric pumps push better than they pull. When purchasing an electric pump you have to make sure that the electric pump is the type that a mechanical pump can draw fuel through.
The engineer types will tell you that you need some kind of a pump kill switch, in the event that the vehicle is in an accident, however, if you are only using the electric pump to avoid a vapor lock or as a starting aid, oil pressure switches defeat the purpose of the pump because you have to crank the engine over to get oil pressure to trip the switch.
If everything in the carb is working correctly and you turn the electric pump on to prime the system on a vehicle that has been sitting for awhile, the pump will run until the fuel system is pressurized, then the electric pump will shut down. If the electric pumps keeps running the fuel system is not pressurized, a stuck float valve, etc., is usually the problem.
Some people like to plumb electric pumps so they are in a bye-pass loop around the mechanical pump. I think that the bye-pass plumbing requires a check valve to prevent the fuel from being pumped back into the tank.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
lesbliss

If you run your electric fuel pump through the stock mechanical it is possible in case of a diaphram rupture in the mechanical to fill your crankcase with fuel.
Les Bliss
lesbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
oldford2

Rich,
You said your car has "fuel problems" after a few hours of Florida heat but don't describe what they are or why you think an electric pump is required. When you have this "problem" you should take off the air cleaner and look down the throat to see if when you depress the throttle you get a squirt of out from the accelerator pump. If so, I don't think you have a fuel problem or "vapor lock" but maybe an overheated coil that will work fine after a little cooling off.
So, could you describe your fuel problem? Maybe you are wasting time and $$ on the electric pump. John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
Deuce Man

John: It is definitely a fuel problem I can usually keep it runnung by pumping the gas pedal. The second stromberg is on a progressive linkage and holds anough gas to get me to a safe spot to let it simmer down not a pretty sight and downright embarrising at times. I know what you are saying,, one of m flathead buddies says" Most ignition problems turn out to be fuel, and most fuel problems usually turn out to be ignition"! Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:01 PM   #12
13clicks

I'm running a electric pump back by my tank pushing fuel thru the mechanical pump because the cam lobe for my pump rod is worn out. Is there anything I can do to the mechanical fuel pump to make it flow better since there isn't a rod inside it and not working any longer? I'm trying to keep it looking original. Ohhh it's on a stock single carb 59A-B.
13clicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #13
Ross F-1

If you are going to have an electric pump, why run the gas thru the old fuel pump where it does nothing but pick up heat?
Old 06-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #14
13clicks

Here's my setup in my 36 5window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.6 KB, 229 views)
Old 06-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #15
Ross F-1

Those round Spectre pressure regulators are junk IMO.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #16
adileo

I have never done this but I understand you can weld a nub on rod to give it the hight you need- in also heard old timers would insert a small washer in the cup of the mech pump
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #17
13clicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
If you are going to have an electric pump, why run the gas thru the old fuel pump where it does nothing but pick up heat?
Just trying to keep it looking as original as possible.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #18
13clicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by adileo View Post
I have never done this but I understand you can weld a nub on rod to give it the hight you need- in also heard old timers would insert a small washer in the cup of the mech pump
Did this already. Didn't work for me.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #19
13clicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
Those round Spectre pressure regulators are junk IMO.
Agreed and will get a better one later as this is just here to solve the problem now. I'm also going to hide the better one when I get this thing dialed and running right. Just a quick fix for now.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #20
B-O-B

Go to page 95 on Vics what I did on my lunch hour & scroll to post 1865 for how to pass thru your fuel pump.
#1865 Vic Piano

Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour
Flathead Fun Conversions
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote