Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #21
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: The Flathead oil modification thread...

"...manual "MN-F1" from WWII Dated June 1943"
Thanks! I may already own that, and will start hunting if I don't. I was surprised a few years ago to discover that there was a vast range of Canadian civilian and military literature, totally unrelated to Ford USA equivalents, that not only provided very complete repair info but information on oddities like the full flow filters and full flow coolers used during WWII. I've been collecting the stuff like crazy, finding interesting material from the several worlds of Bren carriers and heavy trucks, as well as the WO passenger vehicles that eventually became the Pilot...
In some cases, there are Australian publications apparently unrelated to the Canadian ones, and of course the British were building their own variants of everything...
I think the appearance of a boss for the full flow drilling that appeared on USA WWII 239's and was kept on after the war was likely added because many USA Merc engines flowed directly into Imperial supply lines.
The Canadian PCV system is also of interest...I've managed to collect most of the bits. Flatheads at war...blasted stuff is getting expensive. Someone else must be hunting the stuff too.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #22
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennedy View Post
That, and the fact that drilling into a cast iron block is pretty darn scary. As evidenced by the fact that I messed mine up. I can fix mine via sleeving, at least that's the plan.
Ok fess up what were you attempting to do ??

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #23
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

"By chance does the manual show the size of the lines to and from the filter? I thought I had read that the canister type filter would not handle a full flow system. Also it is interesting to note that the passage way between the two openings in the block is not blocked off, as is the modern-day full flow system....or is that sleeve in the block for the feed?"

From what I know...the cannister filter shown is NOT the partial flow filter, though it looks much the same. Different can, different cartridge. I may have some cataloging with pics in postwar civilain parts book.
Line dimension was approximately toodamnsmall...they used the normal sized ports, 1/4 pipe I think, with appropriate lines for that, and these at least look small enough to scare me...though since the engines were being built for desert warfare, they must have worked fine!
If you scrutinize that picture, you can see how the blocking off was done with a sleeve made as part of the fitting. The engines were drilled with three instead of two oil ports, with that extra available for the conversion. USA engines from WWII on had the boss for the extra hole. (Odd footnote...if you study the pictures in your Ford USA "Repair manual Ford and Mercury V8 engines 1937-48", you will see in one of the photos that the block pictured is a WWII 29A with 3 large non-standard fittings protruding from its bellhousing...presumably an engine headed for life in an artillery tractor or Bren carrier!)
Someone in Canada was mentioned as supplying a repro of the special fitting on the old Fordbarn...does anyone have that info??
Old 06-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #24
TomT/Williamsburg

Also remember that the French made upgrades and such when they got everything from the US and Canada when flatties were "done" in North America. So there is a whole other "treasure trove/iteration/generation/revival/etc" of the flathead by the French (language converters on your PC will make life really easy for you) since they were casting their "hybrid" block version and building complete engines up until 1992.

My point here is that there should e alot more info out there from the French with regard to engine oiling, etc, etc.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #25
Merc Cruzer

Does ayone have actual photos of this system?
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #26
John Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Ok fess up what were you attempting to do ??

R

I was drilling the vertical passage to the prescribed 9/16" when I broke thru. I'm just gonna sleeve it. It's above the 45 degree bend, near where the casting swells up some.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #27
Merc Cruzer

Bruce:
Thank you and I will say your information is extremely interesting especially:
"Line dimension was approximately toodamnsmall...they used the normal sized ports, 1/4 pipe". Have you ever gotten your hands on any of the original components for this system? I will start looking at all future swap meets, in the unlikelihood that a few may show up.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #28
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

No...I've got nothing but various incomplete fragments of pictorial coverage. I think the wartime stuff is extremely rare, and the postwar was optional and not a common choice by the customers. I think same general setup was used on Bren carriers, hooked to a cooling coil instead of a filter...flatheads in armored tracked vehicles had HARD lives!
Note in the picture above there is some sort of valve across the lines, presumably a bypass in case a blocked filter produced backpressure above the valves tolerance...this would be functionally equivalent to the little bypass valve in the filter mount on a SBC.
If you try to emulate this, I think a number of early fifties OHV V8's used cannister type full flows.
Surely someone on here remembers the Canadian who reproduced the special fitting...
Maybe you could use the V8 club membership book or website to locate Canadian chapters of the club and possible owners of one of these rigs.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #29
John Kennedy

This is getting pretty fascinating
Old 06-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #30
Merc Cruzer

Ronnie:

I note that you are from Canada (by the way so is my wife) any chance you could follow up on this: Surely someone on here remembers the Canadian who reproduced the special fitting...
Old 06-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #31
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Ronnie:

I note that you are from Canada (by the way so is my wife) any chance you could follow up on this: Surely someone on here remembers the Canadian who reproduced the special fitting...
Merc I will dig up his name for you. I have it somewhere.
All it does is allow you to convert to a 95% "so called filter system" without re tapping any holes on an 8ba. On a 59a it requires one hole drilled and tapped for the return line from the filter to the engine.Both engines use the same fitting,not complicated at all,actually very simple. My2¢

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #32
John Kennedy

Ran the 9/16" hole specs against copper pipe. Found out 1/2 pipe OD is a little large, even when turned down some. Seems like a 3/8 copper pipe coupler might work. It's OD is a little closer. Home Depot tonight I suppose. I'll take some pics and post progress.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #33
Capn John

take a look at this!

http://www.flatheadv8.org/filter.htm
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #34
BillM

Alternative to the "Grub Screw"; copied this some time ago and don't know if it is still valid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bryan Buckley fitting.jpg (46.9 KB, 155 views)
Old 06-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #35
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

The plug is a clever adaptation. Note that the block shown is Canadian, with extra hole supplied by factory, which is why no drilling was required. Also, this restricts your plumbing (if done with no machining) to what will go through the 1/4" pipe fittings, which scares me...but is what Ford did with success during WWII.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #36
danliveshere

Can the full flow modification be done successfully on 35-36 blocks? Mine is Australian so therefore a Canadian block.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #37
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Same basic mod would work. Prewar blocks will need drilling/plugging regardless of national origin or religious persuasion.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #38
John Kennedy

Here's where I drilled through the lower vertical oil passage, and how I fixed it.
Passage was enlarged to 9/16 per mod specs. I found that 3/8" copper pipe sweat couplers are a snug fit, so I tapped a pair in there. The blue you see is Loctite.
I also reached in there and flaired out the edge a bit to insure they won't crawl up any.

After block is cleaned out, area will get a nice coat of J-B Weld. Should be good then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4178.jpg (50.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4180.jpg (44.3 KB, 117 views)
Old 06-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #39
John Kennedy

The 3/8" couplers are 3/8" I.D. and 9/16" O.D.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #40
Merc Cruzer

Any guesses as to what the C.M.P stands for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine lub 2.jpg (39.5 KB, 87 views)