Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #41
Fe26

Default Re: `32 5w Coupe found

Bart78, No one said the car was destroyed, rather it was the 'attitude' of wanton disregard that was called to account.

If you don't mind me saying; your posts on this forum frequently bemoan and lament the wilful neglect of the 'old iron' in your area.

On the one hand you decry the 'attitude' of the owners when they won't sell their old iron to you, and you don't like to see the potential wasted. On the other hand you say it's the right of an owner to cut up a beautifully restored car, and to many of us on this forum which is largely for the restorer/original car owners. We are merely asking the question, why would someone wilfully and ignorantly destroy/modify something really good, when so much old iron is still available. (The way this topic is heading it really belongs over on the HAMB.)

My stated view is; the old iron (your 38 coupe for example) is perfect material for the rodder or customiser, and I say 'well done' when a piece of old iron is resurected. But I cannot understand or comprehend the rodder who buys a restored or original car only to cut it up when so many alternatives are available.

To my mind, I believe I have the same feelings as you when you lament the waste of the old iron around you, I lament the waste of a beautiful car and it's history, particularly when that restored or original car is turned into something just the same as everyone elses Hot-Rod. To my mind why not use fiberglass or old iron.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #42
aerocolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe26 View Post
Bart78, No one said the car was destroyed, rather it was the 'attitude' of wanton disregard that was called to account.

If you don't mind me saying; your posts on this forum frequently bemoan and lament the wilful neglect of the 'old iron' in your area.

On the one hand you decry the 'attitude' of the owners when they won't sell their old iron to you, and you don't like to see the potential wasted. On the other hand you say it's the right of an owner to cut up a beautifully restored car, and to many of us on this forum which is largely for the restorer/original car owners. We are merely asking the question, why would someone wilfully and ignorantly destroy/modify something really good, when so much old iron is still available. (The way this topic is heading it really belongs over on the HAMB.)

My stated view is; the old iron (your 38 coupe for example) is perfect material for the rodder or customiser, and I say 'well done' when a piece of old iron is resurected. But I cannot understand or comprehend the rodder who buys a restored or original car only to cut it up when so many alternatives are available.

To my mind, I believe I have the same feelings as you when you lament the waste of the old iron around you, I lament the waste of a beautiful car and it's history, particularly when that restored or original car is turned into something just the same as everyone elses Hot-Rod. To my mind why not use fiberglass or old iron.

I do agree in part that it is the present owners decision to do whatever with the car he owns. However, when an unrestored original is found like mine I feel it`s my responsibility to preserve if possible so we have a gauge of what they once were.
That`s why I have decided to sell the car and buy something else closer to my interests. It`ll work out better in the long run.
aerocolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #43
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe26 View Post

To me the worse case scenario was a few years ago when the beautifully restored maroon 1939 Ford convertible coupe that was on a LeBarron Bonney catalog cover was flipped from a Dearborn winner to a street rod. Never saw the car finished into a street rod hopefully body wasn't altered or top chopped but I do know the complete original chassis was separated from the car and a "modern" one replaced it. At least the chassis went to the right guy,it was for sale in Hemmings complete with engine ,trans Columbia and all five Ford script tires,Nick Alexander bought it not for one of his woody restoration projects but to put it back with a proper 39 convertible coupe body. Don't know if he ever did this before his famous auction. Guess the street rodder wanted Henry Ford steel instead of a Wescott. Guess I shouldn't complain too much because if the chain of events above didn't occur I wouldn't be enjoying my 37 coupe as I do now,which is a whole other story.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #44
bart78

I never said for him to chop it up. I just stated that the car was his and to do what he wanted with it. The car is great the way it is now. I am all for someone not doing anything to their car at all. My plans for the 38 are prety much stock but just for it to sit a little lower. I myself would not cut that car up it looks awsome the way it is.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #45
Fe26

I do agree in part that it is the present owners decision to do whatever with the car he owns. However, when an unrestored original is found like mine I feel it`s my responsibility to preserve if possible so we have a gauge of what they once were.
That`s why I have decided to sell the car and buy something else closer to my interests. It`ll work out better in the long run. 'Quote'.

To my way of thinking your course of action is correct. We are diminished if we destroy our history. Just because we 'own' something' and legally can do with it as we please doesn't mean we have no responsibility for the history inherent in the object and for the 'rights' of others who care for and about that history.

The argument 'it's mine to do with as I please' is morally bankrupt. If more people stopped to really think about what they were doing and why they absolutely had to have a steel body, then perhaps more orignial and restored cars would be saved. If the real but hidden reason is 'I want a steel body for my over inflated ego' then some self examination may just save some old iron for posterity.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #46
bart78

I understand where you are at on this. If you saw my grandfathers place it would make you sick to see all his T's and the shape they are in now from where they were. People that like T's would wonder what the hell is going on with the old man if they saw all the stuff he has and what he has let it get to. The only thing I have gotten from him are 2 27 roadsters that one day I will get to because my 4 year old son likes one he saw on the hamb. He does this because he does not want one being a hot rod.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #47
Django

So now this survivor '32 coupe, which had a chance to stay fairly stock or at least a mild tradtional hot rod will be for sale and potentially fair game to a high roller, and then it gets stripped it to make a high dollar street rod... and that is better?

It's easy to say that only someone who appreciates for what it truly is should buy it, but the Ben Franklins start adding up, it's easy to not care so much.

FWIW, this was at the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville, from the HAMB. I have no idea if he actually sold it for that or of it's historical lineage.

The worst one for me was the '36 coupe on American Hot Rod that supposedly came out of a museum in Nebraska. It was gorgeous. And they proceeded to strip it and cut the top off to make it a roadster. 8 years and it still makes me queasy! And I am a hot rodder!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #48
37 Coupe

32 Five window coupes cute,but just a ridiculously high priced Model A in my opinion,three window,different ,beautifull.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #49
aerocolor

We were at Louisville and saw that coupe Friday morning early. It was exactly what I was looking for but the price stumped me. I went back to examine it later when less people were around it and it was already sold. Lasted three hours on Friday.
Yesterday a `32 3w traditional fendered & patina style sold on EBAY for the " Buy it Now" price with 20 minutes left at $59,500.
A stock Model B 5w sold last month to a guy in Australia and it went for north of $50k and I understand they jump thru major hoops and cost to get one in the country and tagged.

Scary what Henry steel is bringing. I`m starting to consider fiberglass for my hotrod.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #50
aerocolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
So now this survivor '32 coupe, which had a chance to stay fairly stock or at least a mild tradtional hot rod will be for sale and potentially fair game to a high roller, and then it gets stripped it to make a high dollar street rod... and that is better?

It's easy to say that only someone who appreciates for what it truly is should buy it, but the Ben Franklins start adding up, it's easy to not care so much.

FWIW, this was at the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville, from the HAMB. I have no idea if he actually sold it for that or of it's historical lineage.

The worst one for me was the '36 coupe on American Hot Rod that supposedly came out of a museum in Nebraska. It was gorgeous. And they proceeded to strip it and cut the top off to make it a roadster. 8 years and it still makes me queasy! And I am a hot rodder!

At least if I sell the car I won`t be the one cutting it up...and I can live with that. You`re welcome to come and save it
Old 08-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #51
Django

My comments were more for the folks bullying you into selling it rather than you making subtle changes to the car to suit your (traditional hot rod) tastes.

If I had bought it, it would already have had the dropped axle and a Slingshot.

Like my buddy's 5 window...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg john.JPG (64.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 08-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #52
aerocolor

Quote:
My comments were more for the folks bullying you into selling it rather than you making subtle changes to the car to suit your (traditional hot rod) tastes.

I could live with that.. Nice car.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #53
Fe26

Quote:

Bullying? Surely not;

Since when does fair comment become bullying?

Since when does a well reasoned argument, reasonably put, constitute bullying?

Since when does a free and honest exchange of points-of-view equal bullying?

I'd like to think our conduct here is conducted in a respectful and reasonable tone, the way good discourse is practiced among the gentlemen, and some ladies here on Fordbarn. Bullying... I think not!
Old 02-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #54
fireup4

New '32 finds are great and Henry would be proud, but I finally had to bit the bullet and go to Brookville for a complete new steel three window. Going stock with an Ol' Ron suggestion and a Ranger 4 spd OD, 16" wire wheels. You guys are Too Lucky! Keep burning rubber to those barn finds.
Fireup4
fireup4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #55
rockfla

Hey aerocolor

If your gonna do away with the original wire's and go with "steelie's" I would like "DIBS" on the 18" trim rings if??? they are 18"s??????
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #56
rockfla

and you would part with them???
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #57
Mart

Way to dig up a 4 year old thread, guys.

Nice looking at those 5w's though.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #58
white64

Sometimes an old thread needs to be dug up, many are still relevant...

heck there's an old HAMB thread about 2 chevy's "found" in the desert a few years ago, that I'm still waiting to hear if someone dragged them out!!

..and all I hear is crickets...
white64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #59
Ronnieroadster

Talking Re: `32 5w Coupe found

Quote:
Originally Posted by white64 View Post
Sometimes an old thread needs to be dug up, many are still relevant...

heck there's an old HAMB thread about 2 chevy's "found" in the desert a few years ago, that I'm still waiting to hear if someone dragged them out!!

..and all I hear is crickets...
Thats not crickets you hear its termites they love chevy wood
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote