Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default 40--41 A heads

I'd like to talk about (A) heads 40-41-42 I have 3 heads. One matched set (81A-6049 A) ---(81A-6050 A). The 6050 heads has the hole with the ledge for the mechanical temp gauge, I believe it the left head. The 6049 heads has the 3/8 pipe thread for the heater hose nipple, I would say right head. NOW, the single heads has the nice (A) in the center but no 81A-6040 or 81A-6050, it has the 3/8 pipe thread for gauge or heater hose. SO, I guess the question is, the single head with no number, what do you think it came off and do you suppose it goes on either side? That hurts my head the first thing in the morning. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 40--41 A heads

Walt, there were a few design changes on these "A" heads during the years they were called for.
The head with that "lip" for the mechanical gauge is for the left side on 1938 and 1939 only. As you know, Ford went to an electric gauge in 1940 so no longer machined that "lip" in there.
Typically the part number was cast in to the edge of the cylinder head very near the back. It would be just adjacent to the valley surface when installed. I am willing to bet if you look a bit closer, you'll find the numbers.
There were definite 'right' and 'left' heads during these years.
Many guys install them opposite of their respective and intended placement. When properly installed (to reiterate) that cast number will be very near the back of the engine. If the number is near the front, the head is improperly (wrong side) installed.
Numbers cast in to the face of the head typically occurred in 1938.
Kind regards,
Mike
Old 07-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Walt Dupont--Me.

Mike, your right, I forgot they went to the electric temp in 40. I know those 6049--6050 are usually cast in on the top inside of the head. but this one heads I have I've wire brushed all over, the only no. are a couple of single no. on the face. I'll glass bead it, I'll probably never use, but some thing like that just bothers me that I cain't figure out what year is ect. Thanks Mike. Walt
Old 07-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
Mike, your right, I forgot they went to the electric temp in 40. I know those 6049--6050 are usually cast in on the top inside of the head. but this one heads I have I've wire brushed all over, the only no. are a couple of single no. on the face. I'll glass bead it, I'll probably never use, but some thing like that just bothers me that I cain't figure out what year is ect. Thanks Mike. Walt
Hey Mike. You were right, I glass beaded that head today and found a light empresshing of 81A-6050, you could hardly make it out. I feel better. Thanks Mike. Walt
Old 07-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
Brooks

Mike, Will the 81a heads work on either side? My are installed with the numbers in front. Piston #3 and #4 are hitting the head. Thanks,
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:08 AM   #6
deuce_roadster

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have taken many flatheads apart with the heads on the wrong side. If the rest of the engine is to specs, I don't think which side the head goes on matters. I believe they only made the 81a-6049 heads as replacements. Mike will know for sure!
It would matter to a V8 judge (at least it should!)
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
jimTN

There is information about r and l heads in the "Ford Service Bulletins".
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
Mike, Will the 81a heads work on either side? My are installed with the numbers in front. Piston #3 and #4 are hitting the head. Thanks,
They will fit and function on both sides. However, the water ports are in fact different, right vs. left.
There is no difference in the combustion chambers so the pistons hitting is indicative of a different issue.
On the concourse, heads on the incorrect side should be noted and a deduction given for same.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #9
G.M.

34 years ago I bought a new WW-II engine from Carpenter, I think it was less than $400.00. It came with some heads that they said not to use that they were for shipping purposes only. I can't remember if they had a T or what on them. I ground what ever was on there off. I don't know what their issue was but it now has over
125,000 miles and runs perfect burning no oil, has 45 lbs of oil pressure hot and 20 at idle using Castrol 20/50 since being installed. Some of my friends swear I have a cam or did something to make it more powerful but it's just the way I received it. I have driven it pretty hard but have not abused it. We have several Ford~Heyer strobe machines that are checked regularly with a master distributor kept in a plastic bag to insure the machine don't drift and make sure the machines are correct. I check my distributor every few years and reset the dwell to make up for the phenolic shoe wear. I would suggest if the point gaps on a rebuilt distributor that runs perfect that the gaps were marked inside the housing with a marker pen that they could be reset in a few years. Points in these distributors are NOT set with feelers, they are set by a dwell meter in the machine. I may call Harvey at Carpenter's to find out what heads they were, he was there when I purchased the engine. G.M.
I was curious and called Carpenter to day. Harvey wasn't in but I talked to Bert who said he was only there 25 years but remembered they had loads of new heads and was told they were for later model trucks, meaning 1947 and 1948 years. So I guess that's I have on my 39.

Last edited by G.M.; 07-08-2014 at 10:07 PM.
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote