Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
oj

Default '28 Tudor side window install

I am trying to get the rear side windows back in and can't figure out how to get them in. When i removem them one window was broken glass and the other was missing the felt track, i recall that i removed it from the bottm but i cannot get the new window back in that way.
I did the search and found nothing relavant, any advice?
Thanks oj
oj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: '28 Tudor side window install

You have to take off the screws that hold the lower inside metal panels in place, then gently pull those braces out and away enough to give you access with your glass. From then on it's a wrestling match, man against machine.

"Go slowly for a more harmonious outcome." —Old Indian proverb
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
oj

Here's a few pics.
The window is sitting smack on the bottom of the body, it doesn't have the regulater channel on it - can't get lower and still be in the car.
On the right the window felt is in the channel, the felt has been removed from the left channel.
I believe i need to remove the left channel, install the felt and set the channel assembly on the glass and set the glass into the right channel push the window assembly into place and reweld the channel.
That just doesn't seem ford-like. Another way i see is to drill out the rivets for the door jamb and pull the entire side of the car away from the floor and slide it up from below. Again, not ford-like.
Ass 700rpm suggested to remove the panels etc - they are gone and you can see the top of the window is 3" or so above the bottom of the channel.
I'm flummoxed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model a 065.jpg (77.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg model a 066.jpg (76.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg model a 067.jpg (76.4 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by oj; 08-21-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: forgot the pics of course
Old 08-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Barry B./ Ma.

No, no, no oj, just rmove the REAR felt channel and slip the glass into the empty channel and slide the felt channel down from the top . You may have to spray some WD-40 to get it to slide on the glass. Finally fasten the felt channel in place.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
oj

Thanks Don, thats an excellant description, it just won't work on this car. Barry B, a couple others from the hamb suggested a simliar technique use soap and water, i tried that and while it might work i would have to cut off the metal tab at the bottom. Hmm, that might be the ticket, it is riveted and i could drill out teh rivets work them into teh channels and reattach the clip - i'll make a post on how taht works, thanks oj
Old 08-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
oj

Don, you are right! It can be done like that. I removed the clasps and did a dry run to work the felt into the channel as Barry suggested and while doing so i understood what Don was talking about. I put the felt onto the glass and started them into the top of the channels and then worked the felt down to the bottom on each side, lowered the glass as far as possible and worked the felt inot the top and slid the glass up. It was a sure enough struggle, could have gone either way but i prevaled! Just why did they have to put glass on either side, now i got another one to do!
Thanks guys, oj

Last edited by oj; 08-22-2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: clarify