Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2024, 10:09 AM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Back end of a T-5

I am continuing to be pulled in the direction of a T5 swap into the '47 1/2 ton pickup based woodie wagon. I have read more about the engine to transmission adapter choices than I care to think about, but am working up a plan. I do not have my transmission in hand yet, but it's S10. I have seen one post that says there is a U joint back there that's the same size as our ford's so only need to shorten the shaft. I can do that, but is this U joint on a slip yoke like my '47 pu has? In other words, do I need to get that yoke along with the transmission? Sometime slip joint is in the driveshaft with a fixed yoke on transmission. Thanks in advance. GB
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:51 AM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: Back end of a T-5

my T5 trans from an '84 S10 has a slip yoke on the output shaft of the transmission. .
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:29 AM   #3
cadillac512

The S10 trans will have a modern type slip yoke that attaches to the driveshaft with a normal u joint. It slides into the tail housing of the trans. I'd get the yoke if you can.

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 03:18 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Thanks guys. Should be an easy swap compared to some I've ventured into!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 03-30-2024, 06:48 PM   #5
Ol' Ron

The S-10 box is alittle on the week side, with a 4: 1 low.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:47 PM   #6
GB SISSON

A 4:1 low would be fine in my particular (perculiar?)case. I creep around on this mountainside, then down a steep 1/2 mile gravel road to the 2 lane paved county road where I can finally let the old gal fly along at 35! Obviously I was heavily influenced by 'The Waltons' in my teenage years, Heck, I have owned three Model AA fords and even have a sawmill. G'nite Jim Bob, G'nite Mary Ellen, G'nite Gramps
Old 03-31-2024, 07:40 PM   #7
flatford8

The earlier T-5’s have a tail shaft that uses a mechanical speedo. The ones from the trucks and vans have a forward shifter. The ones from Camaros and Mustangs the shifter is closer to the end of the tail-shaft. They’ve been around so stuff has been changed.
://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg-Warner-T5-ID-Tags.htm . .
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-links.169265/
There’s enough info in that second link to keep you the same spot for a while.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 08:33 PM   #8
GB SISSON

Thanks Mark, Been reading about them for a couple of days. There are a lot of variations on that box and I spose a guy building his dream car would use one part from this and another from that and a particular gear set from another. I get that, but right now I have a problem inside my transmission, and first was never quite low enough anyhow, and it pops outa second downhill and maybe worst of all is where reverse is. Had some close calls there. For me it's an easy swap and fairly inexpensive.The one I'm attempting to pick up is from a '93 S10 with a 2.8 V6 so it might not have the super low 4:1 like the bangers had.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:58 PM   #9
38bill

The '93 T5 from an S10 will use a electronic speedometer. If you don't need one on the island its no big deal and you could always use the GPS on your cell phone.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:30 PM   #10
GB SISSON

Thanks Bill, I've taken it to the mainland twice and one time I even got on interstate 5 for an hour. I used my cellphone speedometer ap and I was doing a little over 60! I'm pretty used bo not having a working speedometer, so no big deal.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:17 AM   #11
GB SISSON

I posted about picking up this T5 on my engine thread and realized it afterwards. As much as I ramble and wander on my threads, I feel I should be better at staying somewhere around the subject at hand, like at least posting on this transmission related thread. We drove up to the small dairy farming town of Sumas Washington yesterday and picked up this transmission after agonizing for three months about how the get the truck based woodie back on the road for the summer. Now it's almost upon us. Anyhow I got sidetracked this morning rambling about granny low etc, as usual and didn't post these. Pics. Not really that noteworthy, just a gearbox from some outdated pickup, but my wife came with me and we made an outing of it. The sellers were a nice young couple with a 97 acre farm and we spent an hour visiting in the sun. It was a very beautiful drive and I think we found a nice T-5 that will be a good gear box for our beloved wagon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T5 a.jpg (128.8 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg T5 b.jpg (147.7 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg T5 c.jpg (122.3 KB, 248 views)
Old 04-04-2024, 10:07 AM   #12
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I posted about picking up this T5 on my engine thread and realized it afterwards. As much as I ramble and wander on my threads, I feel I should be better at staying somewhere around the subject at hand, like at least posting on this transmission related thread. We drove up to the small dairy farming town of Sumas Washington yesterday and picked up this transmission after agonizing for three months about how the get the truck based woodie back on the road for the summer. Now it's almost upon us. Anyhow I got sidetracked this morning rambling about granny low etc, as usual and didn't post these. Pics. Not really that noteworthy, just a gearbox from some outdated pickup, but my wife came with me and we made an outing of it. The sellers were a nice young couple with a 97 acre farm and we spent an hour visiting in the sun. It was a very beautiful drive and I think we found a nice T-5 that will be a good gear box for our beloved wagon.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 11:37 AM   #13
cas3

Thats a big hit n miss engine there GB, what is it?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 05:10 PM   #14
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Thats a big hit n miss engine there GB, what is it?
That, my friend is my 1912 8hp Stover gas engine. It was given to me 36 years ago by an island family. Head had been pulled years earlier and was long gone, Every moving part was completely seized. Other than that it was remarlably intact and complete. I made a pattern for a new head on my wood lathe from pictures in an old book. Most of it was obvious because of what was still there. Head studs told head thickness, push rod and rocker arm showed dimensions and placement of the tower for the rocker, placement of valves etc. The intake valve has no rocker as it is just atmospheric with a light spring. Vacuum pulls it open on intake stroke. I started with freeing the 6" piston. I filled the water hopper with charcoal briquets, siliconed a 6" stove pipe elbow into the bore and filled it to the top with diesel fuel. All that was needed was a BFH for some motivation. Finding nothing suitable at hand I decided to loosen the two 5/8 bolts on the big end of the connecting rod til there was about a 3/4" gap. Instead of a poured bearing this rod has a beautifully machined bronze 'boxing'. The flywheels together weigh over 1000 lbs and made short work of freeing the piston. I honed and ordered some rings from Hit n Miss Enterprises in Ohio. Well, here I go on another sideways ramble. The engine has been stored for the last 12 years at the show grounds in Lynden and we haul it out and run it every August at ther big show. Storage situation changed last year so I brought it home and kept it at a buddy's giant shop until last week when I finished a ten day cleanup and organizing of my shop. Now I have a nice spot for it with the exhaust out through a hole in the wall. If you'd likme to see it run I have a link to a video some show-goer took of it and posted on youtube. I had no idea it was on youtube until I stumbled onto this video one day.
Well I just used up my afternoon coffee break talking about the engine instead of the adapter plate I'm making for a hogshead/T-5. I am using the same centering trick that I used on my NP 435 project. In researching home built plates I came across a great thread on the barn from maybe 2014, in which J Seerey carefully explains why the method I thought I discovered last month is so, in his words 'foolproof'. Now I'm in a complete dither on this thing and a contractor is showing up in 5 minutes about the project I'm sposed to be working on. Sucks to be him. Gotta run https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot5E...BnYXMgZW5naW5l
Old 04-04-2024, 05:11 PM   #15
flatford8

Ya done good ‘Ol Boy…..Mark
I’ve always loved the sound of a Hit&Miss engine running……very relaxing…. Now that I have some time…..I gotta start looking for one….
Billy Joe Shaver

Last edited by flatford8; 04-04-2024 at 05:16 PM.
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:51 PM   #16
cas3

yeah, 8hp is a big one. I've had a couple of those plain jane IH square looking things, and a 1 1/2 hp fairbanks, but never put to use. Always wanted to get a line shaft set up, had all the clutches and mounts etc, never got it up and sadly it was another pile at my auction that nobody knew or cared what it all was. Scrap man got it for less than I payed decades ago. GB you are an inspiration for us all with your constant activity, wide spread skill and interest. Carry on my friend, and keep us posted!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 10:41 PM   #17
GB SISSON

Thanks guys. I have some nice scraps of 1/2" aluminum plate that I will double up for this 1" adapter. I will pin them together with some 1/4-20s at first, then when installed there will be four 7/16" bolts and four 1/2" bolts clamping them together I don't think they'll slide'. Tomorrow I REALLY have to assemble those cabinet boxes, and then on the weekend I will get back to drilling holes. In working with Ford's cast iron hogshead assembly I have found that it's a beautifully made assembly and besides, I have 2 or 3 of them just sitting here collecting dust. They just kinda pulled me in. Cast iron has a way of doing that. I'll get some pictures on Saturday.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:35 AM   #18
corvette8n

My Uncle had a small I-H hit and miss bolted to his back porch. Once a year we’d get to visit and he would start it up and let it run a few minutes, I think that’s how I got to be a gear head.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:32 AM   #19
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
My Uncle had a small I-H hit and miss bolted to his back porch. Once a year we’d get to visit and he would start it up and let it run a few minutes, I think that’s how I got to be a gear head.
There are many paths to becoming a gearhead, but that's one of the better ones for sure. An old gas engine can provide many hours of free therapy.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:41 AM   #20
Tim Ayers

Love the H&M motor talk. Yep, 8HP is a big one for sure.

Please post pictures of your T5 adaptor plate one finished.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote