Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
37coop

Default is it me ?

hi guys , is it me ,do I expect too much? ,buying on ebay I,m finding people getting more and more ignorant ,I recently enquired about an old horn for my 51 f1 , my question to him regarding the item went something like this .....hello ,regarding your horn for sale,is it 12 volt or 6 volt, thanks ,regards jim.....the reply was ...6...and that was it ,I must say it made me laugh and I wouldn't give my money to such an ignoramus even if I really wanted it . 5 days ago I bought in the usa by ebay buy now a 30s southwind car heater ,I,v been looking for the right one for some time and saw this one and bought it immediately I,v since emailed him telling him how pleased I was with the buy and enquired regarding shipping..up to now not had the courtesy of a reply or in fact not heard from him at all,i would expect at least a thanks for the payment or something , it was a dealer ,maybe too busy to contact . am I just being a post Christmas moaner ? is it just me?, cheers jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
4tford

Default Re: is it me ?

not just epay. In the last two weeks I have replied to a number of guys here on the barn and had one reply.
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
mike42

Coop it's not you. No one gives a crap anymore. I've answered ads on the Swap Meet area and many times there's never a response ! Guess they didn't want to sell !

Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
JT FORD

You ask if it was 6 or 12 volt, he replied that it was 6. Did you want a long conversation?
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Bassman/NZ

I dont think it's getting worse, it's just the nature of the internet. To be a regular forum/message board/ebay/etc user requires a thick skin, and the old saying applies " if you cant stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen". Because we are by and large the older generation, we have grown up with values of respect, discipline and chivalry. These values are nearly extinct now.... when was the last time you saw a young guy hold the door open for his wife/partner? Today he will walk through and let it swing back in her face. The worst part is she expects it, she knows no different.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
Mark Slight

Jim,

I know how you feel! I've been buying and selling small items on eBay since 2004. I bust my you know what to satisfy buyers, about half of them never leave a feedback. It wasn't that way when I stated! What changed???

Mark
Mark Slight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Jack E/NJ

37coop>>>hello ,regarding your horn for sale,is it 12 volt or 6 volt, thanks ,regards jim.....the reply was ...6...and that was it ,I must say it made me laugh and I wouldn't give my money to such an ignoramus even if I really wanted it .>>>

I guess I'm an ignoramus too. Why did his answer 6 make you think that he was an ignoramus?

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Lawson Cox

My sentiments exactly.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
uncle buck

I read your question as a very nicely written question. At the end of it all it was a simple 6 or 12 answer requested. You got that didn't you? I get tired of all the responses I get that beat around my question asked and don't truly answer what I asked , thats where I walk away from the item - not when I get the simple answer to the question I asked. At least you got an answer, some don't even answer questions. On another note, I can't stand it when someone asks me a question like what color is the dohicky I have listed as a "right side 13lb green dohicky with indoor plumbing". Did I miss the green in the description?
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
37coop>>>hello ,regarding your horn for sale,is it 12 volt or 6 volt, thanks ,regards jim.....the reply was ...6...and that was it ,I must say it made me laugh and I wouldn't give my money to such an ignoramus even if I really wanted it .>>>

I guess I'm an ignoramus too. Why did his answer 6 make you think that he was an ignoramus?

Jack E/NJ
jack ,I sort of know where you are coming from ,I,v been bought up to say please and thank you and not just grunt a one word answer ,a salesman the ignoramus wasn't ,thanks very much indeed , jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
Vic Piano

unfortunately, "common courtesy" is not very common.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
41panelmark

It is not you, I have had similar problems with ebay, craigs, etc. I do my best to do that to people when I buy or sell, although if I am in a hurry I may not do so well. I will have to do better.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
19Fordy

37coop.
Communication is no longer regarded as an art form or of even being "artful".
Prose and poetry is dead.
It's all about the short form, called "texting".
Sad, but true.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
Heard

Hey 37coop, I wouldn't be too harsh on the guy. It is a sign of the times. Rejoice in the fact he could spell '6'.

The one that really gets me nowadays (I think that is a word), is when you say
'Thank you' and the response is 'No problem'. What the hell is that??? 'No problem????' Whatever happened to 'You're welcome'?
Old 12-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
Barry-ct

Unfortuneatly, " no problem " has become "you're welcome". It is just lip service in my opinion. No real meaning to it. Manners is a lost art form in youmger people. I raised both my kids to be polite and they are to older people. My younger one can be rude at times and I have to remind her about manners. I'd of gotten the back hand of the old man if I talked the way they talk today!
37 Coop, did you get a horn? if not let me know which one you need,1 or 2 wire terminals. I know I have a good used one here.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #16
Jack E/NJ

Heard>>>Whatever happened to 'You're welcome'?>>>

Barry-ct>>>Unfortuneatly, " no problem " has become "you're welcome". It is just lip service>>>

I wonder what lip-service terms were fashionable before "you're welcome" and "no problemo"? How about just a smile and a nod? A thumbs up? An OK? It was nothing? Etc, etc.

Jack E/NJ
Old 12-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #17
wisbangman

Have to agree, and my pet peeve is, you e-mail someone who has something for sale. You ask 4 simple questions , and you get an answer, but not one of your questions are answered. Can't people read ? Do they think you have the questions for the hell of it ? It really makes you think about the word, " Communicate "
wisbangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #18
ford38v8

I agree with all you guys. Where's the respect for the older generation? My pet peeve is when I pay a shapely young thing a compliment with a gentle slap on the behind, I expect something more polite than a curl of the lip and a nasty comment containing the words "creepy old perv."
Old 12-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #19
Jack E/NJ

wisbangman>>>It really makes you think about the word, " Communicate " >>>

ford38v8>>>when I pay a shapely young thing a compliment with a gentle slap on the behind, I expect something more polite than a curl of the lip and a nasty comment containing the words "creepy old perv."

Yeah, what we seem to have here is a failure to communicate. 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Old 12-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #20
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
37coop.
Communication is no longer regarded as an art form or of even being "artful".
Prose and poetry is dead.
It's all about the short form, called "texting".
Sad, but true.

I think this reply nails it (text age).

Many probably do Ebay/internet on their Cell Phone.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote