Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
CSArno

Default New brake drums on old hubs?

I know this has been beat to death on here but I am looking for the best way to put new brake drums on old hubs...
Im doing a hydraulic brake conversion on a '35 pickup using the 35 spindles I need to change the front hubs/drums to 40-48.
I have a pair of 48 Merc hubs/drums but the brake drums are junk.

I know that the studs are swedged on and can't be driven or pressed out without risk of damage to the hub. You need to use a swedge cutter or hole saw as some have suggested or drill off the head of the stud and drive it out through the front.

Getting them apart isn't the issue, it's installing the new drums with new studs and what that process is..
if I understand it correctly, the new studs will have to be swedged to enlarge the shoulder of the new studs on the new drums?

I'm not opposed to sending them out to have this done but am asking if there is another way to install the drums on the hubs without going through all of that?

I have seen a post from Richard Lacey where he uses a knurled wheel stud but has to drill the hole in the hubs larger to do so.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris
CSArno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
flathead48

Default Re: New brake drums on old hubs?

Chris, I just replaced a front drum on my 48 the studs that you use press in to your hub and the drum slids over easily. Very easy, I cut off the old studs flush with the drum than ground them a little and they pressed out ok.hope this helps
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
flathead48

Chris, James at joblot in NYC has usa made drums and the studs you need.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
richard crow

chris center punch the studs on the inside of the drum. now drill a 1/2 hole about a 1/2 deep. chisle off the head. now with a 3/8 drift drive the studs out when you put the new studs in swedge them also have the drums turned a few 1000 to true them
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSArno View Post

I know that the studs are swedged on and can't be driven or pressed out without risk of damage to the hub. You need to use a swedge cutter or hole saw as some have suggested or drill off the head of the stud and drive it out through the front.

Getting them apart isn't the issue, it's installing the new drums with new studs and what that process is..

I'm asking if there is another way to install the drums on the hubs without going through all of that?

I have seen a post from Richard Lacey ...........

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris
Hey Chris..........You couldn't possibly have made it any more clear that you understand the REMOVAL process, and that you're looking only for rational re-install options. Unfortunately, SOME responders probably didn't quite understand your simple question.

You are on the right track with Richard Lacy at the Early V8 Garage. He is expert in this field and has all the CORRECT answers to your situation, as well as offering quality parts, and even services if you so decide. Besides all of that, he's good people. Richard will set you straight. His contact info in the link below. DD

http://www.earlyv8garage.qpg.com/

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
CSArno

I had great success getting the old drums off the hubs today!
I went to the hardware store and got good metal cutting hole saw. Ended up getting a 3/4 hole saw which was a little loose on the wheel stud but the drums were junk so I figured ut would matter much.. Using the hole saw in the drill press without the drill in the middle and at LOW speed, I was easily able to cut into the swedge and drum. You don't have to go very far. 3/32 should do it. After doing that on all the studs, I dropped the drums with hubs still in them on a piece of 2x10 on the floor from about 18 inches high. One hub fell out the first try, the second one took 2 tries.
After that, I took a small grinder to the stud to make sure I got the swedged (bulged) portion of the stud all off. Then using the vise to support the back of the hub I tapped the studs out with a small hammer (they basically fell out once they started)
I ordered new USA made brake drums and studs from Joblot that will be here today hopefull..
The new studs are knurled to hold them in the hub so they won't have to be swedged onto the drum thus allowing me to remove the brake drum from the hub instead of taking the whole hub off the spindle..
Will keep you posted on how that works out..
Old 02-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Thanks for the follow up.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
CSArno

Everything looks like it will work perfectly! Will post some pics. Father stole the drums to paint.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:24 AM   #9
supereal

Whenever we install new studs in a drum or hub, we tack weld the head of the stud to be sure it won't turn. If the stud comes loose, it is nearly impossible to remove the wheel, not something to face in the event of a flat tire on the road.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #10
bobH

I've been trying to follow this, and it sounds like this discussion is for 'outies'. Yes?
My car has 'innies'. Would I need to acquire different hubs to do this on my 47?
Thanks
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #11
flathead48

BobH , yes, Joblot sells drums for internal hubs and external hubs
Old 02-28-2015, 05:50 PM   #12
CSArno

Yes, the hubs are on the inside of the drums thus allowing the drums to come off without taking hubs off the spindles on the new set up.
Joblot does sell both the inside and outside drums. In talking with James there the other day, the did not have any of the inside drums and he did not know when they would be getting any.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #13
CSArno

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
I've been trying to follow this, and it sounds like this discussion is for 'outies'. Yes?
My car has 'innies'. Would I need to acquire different hubs to do this on my 47?
Thanks
Bob, I think a 47 should have hubs on the inside of the drums if I'm not mistaken.
If you looked at the inside of the brake drum, you should see the wheel studs go through the hub flange first and then through the brake drum like in this pic.
This would allow you to do the setup that I am doing with the front brakes.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #14
CSArno

This is a pic of the outside of the drum and hub. Note the USA stamp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-28-2015, 06:32 PM   #15
Krylon32

All the 46-48 hubs I've had over the years were outside the drum. I've used a bunch of them with Buick drums.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote